The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dealing with Allegies - mine not my horse

For many of us, allergy season is just around the corner.

I am wondering how the rest of you poor souls deal with allergies especially since we are outside with our horses, dust, mold, pollen, (the best way to trigger allergy attacks....)

I do the allegra, eye drops, and even super dose myself with benedryl at night. I have been known to walk aroud with a kleenex stuffed up my nose and anchored by the bottom of my eyeglasses - hey I am an old lady, I am not trying to impress anyone!!

has anyone tried any of the new products on the market? I did the antigen shots for 25 years to no avail........

Help? sniff, sneeze, hack and scratch......

I have cousins who live in Arizona and swear by bee pollen--they all have serious allergies, as do I, and they say it does wonders. I hear though that the effects are local--if you travel the pollen isn't effective. I have not tried it yet although this post just reminded me.
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

Default I feel your pain....

My personal allergy drug cocktail is 12 hour formula Allegra D, Singulair, Nasacort nasal spray and ibuprofen for the sinus headaches. I was previously on just the Allegra and Nasacort when I started developing this wheezy cough during the height of mold/pollen season and my internist suggested adding Singulair, as she didn't think it was bad enough to require asthma meds. It stopped the cough and had the added benefit of helping some with the other symptoms. I'm personally leary of Benadryl because I turn into a walking zombie if I take it. I too tried the shots for about 10 years, with moderate results. I stopped the shots when I started grad school, due to coverage issues with student health and no longer being on my parents' insurance. I can't say I noticed a huge difference.

Last weekend, I was at a local farmer's market and found a vendor selling an "allergy tonic" tea. I am enough of a sucker (and was feeling bad enough) to waste 5 bucks on some dried herbal stuff in a plastic bag. Since buying the tea, I've looked up the ingredients and two of them have some evidence for inhibiting the cells responsible for allergies....in a petri dish or test tube. I think it helps a little (on top of all the other meds) but could just be my imagination. On the other hand, it is rather tasty tea and I do drink tea instead of coffee frequently, so it wasn't a total waste of money. If you're interested, see www.traveling-tea.com.

As far as allergies and my horse time, I always take allegra and use my nasal spray before I go to the barn. Since the barn is an hour's drive away, the drugs have had plenty of time to kick in. I've also learned to take my meds every day, whether the mold and pollen is high or not. I have a plain saline nasal spray/wash (gross I know), which I try to remember to use after I get back from the barn to rinse out all the junk. I don't think going to sleep with a nose full of barn dirt helps matters.

That said, there are still some days when I drag myself to work, sniffle all day and then go home and spend the evening in the AC instead of with my horse. During August in the hot humid midwest the best I can get is controlled misery....

...which is why my long-term career goals involve someday making enough $$ to move (with my horses of course) to California or some area with a similar climate.
    BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Mine aren't bad here, but are bad at school. I've been able to rotate through all the OTC meds... Claritin, Zyrtec, etc. It seems switching every few weeks really helps.

I take (daily) Singulair for asthma and Zytrec for allergies. I also do Nasonex, which I have come to believe is a God-send. I used to use it only sporadically, but now it's added to my daily regimine. It helps enormously (I'm allergic to hay, of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post
    Mine aren't bad here, but are bad at school. I've been able to rotate through all the OTC meds... Claritin, Zyrtec, etc. It seems switching every few weeks really helps.
    This has been working for me too this year. I only discovered it because DH picked up Claritin rather than Zyrtec and my budding pharmacist daughter sets up my meds for me each week. I actually starting feeling better!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I have real bad allergies in the fall. Claritan works wonders for me!!! Without making me tired. However most people find it doesn't work all that great for them.

I'm allergic to horses - have been since i was little - it's actually my worst allergy . Got tested when I was very little as i would have the worst allergy attacks while in the barn or around horses (it was a big problem since we had our own barn growing up and I was ALWAYS down there!). Tried allergy shots but saw no change. The only thing that keeps my allergies somewhat in control is Zyrtec - thankfully their is a much cheaper generic version out now! When I have severe sneezing attacks I use Astelin nose spray - HATE the stuff but it stops the sneezing right away. Singulair helped too and it has been shown to help w/ allergy symptons and not just asthma. I was tested again a few years ago and my allergist just looked at me after he saw the test results and said "you aren't going to give up the horses are you?" and I said NOPE! Hope you find something that at least tames the symptons - I know how miserable they can make you feel!!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Claritin is the better choice for me too. Allergies definitely know how to ruin a good day!
    Last edited by MoJo; May. 2, 2010 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    I only discovered it because DH picked up Claritin rather than Zyrtec and my budding pharmacist daughter sets up my meds for me each week. I actually starting feeling better!
    I've also heard of bee pollen too curing symptoms but have no idea how that works. I only have very seasonal allergies, mostly in the spring. What is it about Claritin that your daughter, [who I'm assuming is studying to become a pharmacist?] likes better?

I also love Claritan. (Actually the cheap Costco brand) It works really well if I remember to start it each year, well around now, not wait another week or so until symptoms begin.

<heading for the medicine cabinet, THANKS for the reminder!!>

I can attest to the bee pollen - well my husband can. He has terrible allergies all spring and summer. We buy local raw honey and add it to our morning coffee instead of sugar. He hasn't needed an allergy pill or his prescription allergy eye drops so far this year. I read that eating the honey from local flowers that your body builds up immunity to the allergens.

I use Zyrtec, plain saline spray at night, and Omnaris nasal spray in the am.
    Also a great deal of stubborness (allergies WILL NOT rule my life!) and I try to let someone else deal with filling hay racks. Also remind BO to please cut the weeds down when they are taller than I am.

Here is my routine after spending time with the horse or doing outside work at my farm:

*Neti Pot - uses saline wash to clean your sinuses, weird but it works
    *Shower, including rinsing or washing hair. Removes allergens hanging about in my hair.
    *Put on fresh clothes & Wash clothes worn that day. It wears out the clothes but is better for my health
    *Try to keep the house clean
    *Change air filter every 1-2 months, more if outside conditions require
    *Take 24 Zyrtec (OTC) and if necessary have extra-strength version via prescription.

Funny the DR sent me to Allergist for testing as I averaged 3 sinus infections (requiring anti-biotics to resolve) a year. Turns out I have fairly strong allergies to dairy & wheat!
    Since last spring (2008) I have adjusted my diet & 'knock wood' have not had a sinus infection since.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Default Nothing Helps so Far

I take Zyertec 24 hour and singular daily, with an occational Claritin D. Nasacort AQ or X-Clean sprays daily and about every other day sinus rinses. My allergies are so bad I am falling asleep at my desk, ladies room, and pretty much every where else including business meetings. Have an appointment at the allergiest next week for a new set of tests and allergy drops. Hoping they help again.

I overdose Clariton -- Back when it was a prescription drug, my doctor told me the approved dose in Europe was 4x what it is in the US (10mg/day), but it can make you drowsy if you take more than 10 mg -- I take 3-4 pills on bad days -- I'm on 1 pill/day for most of the year -- My pharmacist recommends giving your liver a break by not taking it through the winter, but I'm miserable at the barn if I haven't taken it even in the winter --

I also use Nasacort or saline spray through allergy season -- My windows at home are never open, and I shower as soon as possible if I've been outside when the pollen count is high --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Ugh, not looking forward to the return of allergies. I too have tried the tissue up the nose. And I'm not even 20! At that point of allergies, I don't care what other people think. If I could turn purple without allergies, I would!

On a more serious note, have you tried local honey? A spoonful of LOCAL honey a day really does help! I've tried just slurping it all down *shudder* as well as stirring it into tea/milk. I don't think it really matters how you take it as long as it's still raw. Hope it helps you as much as it does me! Remember, local raw honey.