The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sorry, saddle advice needed

First, I apologize to those of you who are simply tired of saddle advice threads. I have read many, but need input.

My daughter had a Crosby PDN that was the old, pancake flat style. She loved it! But outgrew it, and we purchased a HDR close contact that fit her long thigh bone and the horse as well.

She doesn't like the saddle. She's had about 5 months to use it and just cannot stand the "poofy" feel. She says she can't feel her horse the way she could in her PDN. But we did investigate the PDN, and found the flap to be too short.

So, we may be on a saddle hunt again. Advice? She rarely shows, and if at all it is local. She does ride several times per week, and we really don't want to invest too much money in a saddle she may still outgrow in a year. (she is 14 btw but still growing).
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

Did her old saddle have plain flaps or padded flaps? Knee rolls, thigh blocks etc.. or flat all around? If it was plain flap and all she might like the Crosby Prix des Nations or a Crump Prix des Saute. Both can be found in nice used condition in many tack shops. My favorite tack shop for good used saddles is Middleburg Tack Exchange www.middleburgtack.com. They have a wide selection of older style saddles.

It was the plain flap older Prix de Nation; but when we tried to go up a size the flap was still too short. Is there a similar flat saddle with a longer flap....anyone? Forgot to add, A. no saddle fitters in my area and B. only one tack store...sigh.

Duh sorry, I didn't connect the dots PDN=Prix des Nations. LOL. Anyway, how about the Crosby Sovereign. It has longer flaps but is still a true flat saddle.

Picture: http://middleburgtack.com/inventory_...8AFF7197802C16

The Crosby XL-E also has longer flaps. Then there is also the Stubben Siegfried CS

I have an older model Crosby, no idea what the model is, that has the longer flaps. I like it because I loved my old PDN but it was too narrow for my horse... this is a slightly wider tree.

What size seat does she need? I just saw a 15" M Toulouse (don't rememeber the model) on Ebay for (currently) $250.

But, investigate those saddles. Most of them are pretty nice for the $$, and just about all the CC models can be had, new, for under $1k.

I agree with JB. Check out the Toulouse saddles. I JUST bought an Annice and I like it very much. It is comfortable but there is not much "poof" at all. You really can feel the horse under you. The Annice comes in a long flap and has a little wider tree and a little deeper seat than some of the models. The Padjette also comes in a long flap but it is shallower and has a narrower tree. The differences are very slight. The Annice has velcro knee and thigh blocks that you can move around or remove if you want to. I think the Padjette has the blocks as well.

I know this is heresy but I've ridden in several very high end saddles and I like riding in this one as much if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by VA_Hunter_Aside View Post
    Duh sorry, I didn't connect the dots PDN=Prix des Nations. LOL. Anyway, how about the Crosby Sovereign. It has longer flaps but is still a true flat saddle.

Picture: http://middleburgtack.com/inventory_...8AFF7197802C16
    I had a 17" Crosby Sovereign. I'm 5'8" with long legs and it fit me just fine. I absolutely loved that saddle, but the wide wasn't wide enough for my mare. I got mine in excellent condition for $400 off eBay - sold it a year later for the same price to a friend.

Since the saddle sounds like it fits otherwise I suggest having the knee and thigh blocks removed from beneath the saddle flaps. This will allow a much closer contact feel for her. The HDR blocks are very big. They can be annoying. Good luck.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the ideas! I will see if I can get my hands on a Crosby Sovereign (from barn friends etc) and try it on her. Do you know how the width of the Sovereign compares to the PDN? The mare she is bringing along is a air fern Halflinger and is a wee bit on the wide side.

I know her trainer really liked hearing "I like the flat saddle better so I can feel my horse" lol! But I just dread the whole saddle shopping fitting again.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRide View Post
    Since the saddle sounds like it fits otherwise I suggest having the knee and thigh blocks removed from beneath the saddle flaps. This will allow a much closer contact feel for her. The HDR blocks are very big. They can be annoying. Good luck.
    Thanks, already taken care of.

Paintlady:

I love the flat saddles and Crosby seems to be the only one who still has a large number of decent used saddles around. I rode in my friend's Crosby and it was very comfy. I have a Eldonian which is a very nice saddle but not well known in the US. It is a VERY flat saddle and works nice on my narrow uphill thoroughbred. It's not so great on my front heavy WB/TB mare though. I'd like to find a nice flat Crosby for her.

Quote Originally Posted by dbtoo View Post
    I agree with JB. Check out the Toulouse saddles. I JUST bought an Annice and I like it very much. It is comfortable but there is not much "poof" at all. You really can feel the horse under you. The Annice comes in a long flap and has a little wider tree and a little deeper seat than some of the models. The Padjette also comes in a long flap but it is shallower and has a narrower tree. The differences are very slight. The Annice has velcro knee and thigh blocks that you can move around or remove if you want to. I think the Padjette has the blocks as well.

I know this is heresy but I've ridden in several very high end saddles and I like riding in this one as much if not more.

...and I will look into Toulouse also!

Quote Originally Posted by EventFan View Post
    I just dread the whole saddle shopping fitting again.
    I hear you!!! I found a saddle that was perfect for me. It was a flat old style E. Jefferies. They don't even make them anymore. Got it for $250 at a tack shop that was closing. It didn't fit any of my three horses! I was so sad. Had to take it to the tack exchange and there it sits waiting for someone to try it.

I know money is a concern but.....

I grew up showing/riding in a PDN. In fact I rode in it until May this year and have owned it since I was 11. (How I fit in that saddle back then and also now is a bit of a mystery to me..) Anyway, I LOVED the flat seat, the few frills, and hate FEELING the saddle in between me and my horse. (Rode in a Pessoa whilst waiting for my new saddle to show up - ugh, no thank you!) I tried a lot of things out there on the Great Hunt For A New Saddle (ye olde PDN was not particularly amusing my horse all that much anymore) - from the cheapy end (the M.Toulouses, lower end Bevals, Dover Circuit) to the high end (Antares, CWD, Schleese, etc). My favorite turned out to be a County Stabilizer. It's flat, but slightly poufier where it needs to be (in the panels, for example - this saddle has to be about a million times more comfortable for the horse) and is like 500000x more comfy than the PDN without sacrificing the contact I have with my horse. Plus I got the benefit of feeling like I am twice the rider in the Stabilizer. (Beats me why - it's just a good saddle for me I guess!)

You can find the older style Stabilizers (the ones without knee pads) for less than the newer style ones, and you can find used ones for, if not cheap, then less cost prohibitive than ordering a new one. There are some floating around eBay at the moment, child sized I do believe, and I think I saw another on Allthebestusedsaddles.com. I would really look into that. They do have excellent resale value, and I have heard numerous stories of people re-selling for more than they purchased the saddle for (provided they bought it used). I just had to share that, since I totally know what it's like going from the PDN to something new and modern, and the TERRIBLE time I had finding something that was right for me (and my horse, of course!). My trainer thinks the Stabilizer looks like the "updated" version of the PDN.

UGH! I wish we had more choices in my area for tack shopping. I have paid for shipping WAY too many times when purchasing online; only to have to return the item and pay shipping a second time. grrr!

hmmm I may need to go on a saddle shopping road trip

Quote Originally Posted by Across Sicily View Post
    I know money is a concern but.....

I grew up showing/riding in a PDN. In fact I rode in it until May this year and have owned it since I was 11. (How I fit in that saddle back then and also now is a bit of a mystery to me..) Anyway, I LOVED the flat seat, the few frills, and hate FEELING the saddle in between me and my horse. (Rode in a Pessoa whilst waiting for my new saddle to show up - ugh, no thank you!) I tried a lot of things out there on the Great Hunt For A New Saddle (ye olde PDN was not particularly amusing my horse all that much anymore) - from the cheapy end (the M.Toulouses, lower end Bevals, Dover Circuit) to the high end (Antares, CWD, Schleese, etc). My favorite turned out to be a County Stabilizer. It's flat, but slightly poufier where it needs to be (in the panels, for example - this saddle has to be about a million times more comfortable for the horse) and is like 500000x more comfy than the PDN without sacrificing the contact I have with my horse. Plus I got the benefit of feeling like I am twice the rider in the Stabilizer. (Beats me why - it's just a good saddle for me I guess!)

You can find the older style Stabilizers (the ones without knee pads) for less than the newer style ones, and you can find used ones for, if not cheap, then less cost prohibitive than ordering a new one. There are some floating around eBay at the moment, child sized I do believe, and I think I saw another on Allthebestusedsaddles.com. I would really look into that. They do have excellent resale value, and I have heard numerous stories of people re-selling for more than they purchased the saddle for (provided they bought it used). I just had to share that, since I totally know what it's like going from the PDN to something new and modern, and the TERRIBLE time I had finding something that was right for me (and my horse, of course!). My trainer thinks the Stabilizer looks like the "updated" version of the PDN.

Really? hmmm what price range are you talking (okay I won't be lazy and will check ebay myself lol!) She wouldn't be in a child size though; she's 5'4 and 110 pounds and I think about 5 feet of that length is leg! just kidding.

There is a 17M Stabilizer on ebay right now. Plain flap. Woe is me that a 17 is too small for me! Check out the County Profits, they are the precursor to the Stabilizer. Those are definitely a plain flap saddle, no frills.

Quote Originally Posted by VA_Hunter_Aside View Post
    Paintlady:

I love the flat saddles and Crosby seems to be the only one who still has a large number of decent used saddles around. I rode in my friend's Crosby and it was very comfy. I have a Eldonian which is a very nice saddle but not well known in the US. It is a VERY flat saddle and works nice on my narrow uphill thoroughbred. It's not so great on my front heavy WB/TB mare though. I'd like to find a nice flat Crosby for her.
    I sold mine last year to a friend, so I no longer have it. As much as I loved my Crosby Sovereign, the wide wasn't wide enough for my mutton withered broad backed mare. After so many trial and errors, I broke down and bought a custom Albion Ultima GP. It's much deeper than the Crosby, obviously, but I wanted a saddle I could use for both dressage and hunters.