The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which Registry Would You Choose ? Update On Post 52 !

My OSB Trakehner mare foaled a colt by Sagnol.
    Because the foal was born late and was a premie, I was unable to take mare and colt to the GOV inspection.
    So, I can either register him as a half Trakehner or wait til next year and take the mare and him as a yearling to a GOV inspection.
    From a marketing perspective which is the "better" option ? He is perfectly fine now and will be for sale in the future.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Elfe; Aug. 19, 2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Update

I would take him as a yearling to a GOV inspection. Your mare will have to be inspected as well. Have had many Trakehner/Oldenburg crosses and have opted for the German Oldenburg papers.

Your other option would be Register A Dutch.

I would use the one that does the most for me. As a consumer, you need to educate yourself on the value of the registry you use, not just the cost. The registry should step up to the plate with specifics, not just platitudes!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Elfe is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Your other option would be Register A Dutch.
    What are the requirements for the Dutch registry ?
    Thanks.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    I would use the one that does the most for me. As a consumer, you need to educate yourself on the value of the registry you use, not just the cost. The registry should step up to the plate with specifics, not just platitudes!
    Cost is not what I was concerned about. I was hoping to get information about the very subject you raise !
    Thanks.

Completly agree with not again. This to me would be a personal pref and would depend on several things - the costs involved (registration of mare/colt, inspection of mare/colt, your own membership, and also the cost of going to the inspections). You also need to look at what the registery will do for you in terms of assistance with sale and awards, etc. The resale of the horse would play into it to a certain degree but the basic breeding of the horse isn't going to change. The difference would be if you want or think he needs to be approved as a stallion at some point... obviously the ATA isn't going to do that for you.

If you mare is OSB she is already registered/approved so you are just looking at papers on the foal. as a gelding it is a flat rate (I want to say around $150 but don't quote me on that may be more or less would have to look at the website) and you don't have to go through approvals at all (so no inspection costs). The perks with the ATA to remember is the part bred is elig for all PERFORMANCE awards (not in hand though) for HOY. If you or the buyer is a new member (first TK) you receive your first year's membership free - I think that includes part breds but would have to check. Membership with the ata is $75 a year unless it goes up.

I'm an ATA member so of course my horses are registered ATA even the part breds, but that is my personal choice.

For resale on a gelding I don't think (and I might be wrong on this) that the registery is going to be the make or break factor. The buyer is going to look at the breeding and the horse himself. Now if the buyer is an GOV person they might be upset and wish for something different, but the same logic could be applied to a buyer who is an ATA member...

Just my .02 worth.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

When I was registry shopping I called each registry and gave them my list of questions and a 5 minute chance to win me over. Just a thought.....
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I believe Sagnol foals out of Erkend studblook mares are eligible for Register A Dutch. You should give them a call. Their office is staffed and very helpful.

I'd go GOV as well...
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Amoroso View Post
    I'd go GOV as well...
    Because..........
    TIA

If I were in your position, I would go with GOV.

I've had wonderful experiances with them, they are very helpful and knowledgable. The costs are quite reasonable. Part-bred Trakehner papers don't really mean anything to me. Although for a gelding, it shouldn't make too much of a different. I'd go with the full GOV registration, from a resale point of view. I don't know the costs involved in the ATA though. I'd weigh all the options; cost, inspection site, time of year, purpose of horse, etc.. then make the final decision.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

It depends on what the mare's pedigree is. Who is her sire and damsire?

The reason I ask about your mare's pedigree is that if her sire did not complete a 70 day stallion testing, or if he doesnt have a successful competition record, your mare may not be eligible for MMB. It is my understanding that the ATA's stallion testing requirements do not meet the european warmblood stallion testing standards.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by graystonefarm View Post
    The reason I ask about your mare's pedigree is that if her sire did not complete a 70 day stallion testing, or if he doesnt have a successful competition record, your mare may not be eligible for MMB. It is my understanding that the ATA's stallion testing requirements do not meet the european warmblood stallion testing standards.
    He did not and she isn't eligible for the MMB, although that rule seems to be applied rather "randomly". I am not too concerned about this aspect since the little boy will be a gelding.
    I was more interested in finding out what people's experiences were in regards to selling with papers of one registry over another. Seems to me that all the registries are similar in what they offer their members, so I was wondering which has the most "visibility", that would attract the interest of prospective buyers. IOW's, when going, say, on Dreamhorse, where would a buyer first go: Trakehners, Oldenburg, Dutch, or.......?
    Thanks !

PS This is her pedigree:http://americantrakehner.com/Mares/E...alieseLS_M.htm
    Last edited by Elfe; Aug. 14, 2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Forgot something !

I would normally say to go with Oldenburg (GOV), but there is always a risk in waiting another year if the mare isn't already approved. If you lose the mare before she can be presented at an Oldenburg inspection, the foal would not be eligible for Oldenburg registration papers. So in this case, you may be better off going with the half-Trakehner papers. I don't know if part-breds are eligible for ATA awards, though, so you might want to check into that aspect.

And BTW, Oldenburg's rules for MMB eligibility are not applied "randomly" and are in fact quite specific.

Your mare is lovely!

Personally, I'd go with GOV. Sagnol is not Trak. He is an Oldenburg stallion.

Part bred ATA registered horses are eligible for all performance awards. There are also trophies, cash awards, etc. that he would also be eligible for if he were to compete. You only need to pay the reg. fee send in the DNA, and in a couple of weeks, you have your papers.
    Dr. Baird's law:
    In a voluntary organization, the amount of criticism one receives is directly proportional to the amount of work done and it emanates from those who do the very least.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    I would normally say to go with Oldenburg (GOV), but there is always a risk in waiting another year if the mare isn't already approved. If you lose the mare before she can be presented at an Oldenburg inspection, the foal would not be eligible for Oldenburg registration papers. So in this case, you may be better off going with the half-Trakehner papers. I don't know if part-breds are eligible for ATA awards, though, so you might want to check into that aspect.

And BTW, Oldenburg's rules for MMB eligibility are not applied "randomly" and are in fact quite specific.
    Yes, the rules are very specific.
    Yet, I have seen mares entered into the MMB whose sires did not meet the requirements.
    There was a thread about this about a year ago with specific examples, no need to rehash.

kulacrosse Guest

I would wait and go to the GOV inspection. Here's why: the ATA treats Part Trakehners (studbook D) like second class citizens until they are performance horses. This is a recent change, so as a breeder, I fear their next step. In other words, until recently studbook D horses could compete for year end awards on the line as young horses. This made sense as the young horses are representing their parents and are being judged as performance prospects. I don't remember exactly which year, but in the last few years they were excluded from DSHB All Breeds year end awards. This does not apply to TB and Arab crosses, which are in a different studbook.

I was in a similar situation, having bred a nice Trakehner mare to a non-Trakehner stallion and not making the decision until after the foal was born. I figured (at the time) papers are papers, so long as there are papers. As my son was born the same year, the whole inspection process didn't seem worthwhile for a gelding. I brought her the following year, she was accepted, and her foal was declared Premium. I have definitely found that it makes a different impression on people depending if I have to say Oldenburg/Trakehner cross or just Oldenburg. If I just say one of the two warmblood breeds followed by cross, the reaction is even worse. Both geldings are equally nice and have wins on the line to prove it.

If you're concerned that your mare might not be approved you could find out if you could register the foal late through the ATA. I haven't looked into that before, but suspect you can. In fact, it might even be cheaper if he's already gelded.