The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Basset Hound Pack - NAIA to defend

Got the post below from my German Shepherd Dog e-list.

(Link to original Around the Farm thread here: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=218007 )

Willard Basset Defense

Posted by: "Julian Prager" resolutebulldogs@verizon.net bulldogger18092
    Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:13 pm (PDT)

The National Animal Interest Alliance is coordinating a defense fund for
    Wendy Willard whose hounds were seized by the Philadelphia Society for
    Prevention of Cruelty to Animals under questionable circumstances.
    An attorney has been obtained and we are working with him to
    coordinate assistance from a number of interested groups, including
    the Masters of Foxhounds of Association, the National Beagle Club of
    America, Inc., the Pennsylvania Federation of Dog Clubs, local hunt
    clubs, local dog clubs and other interested parties.

In addition, these groups and their members will be available to
    provide informational resources to bolster the defense in this case.
    We are exploring further actions regarding the Philadelphia dog limit
    law, their spay/neuter requirements, the possibly unconstitutional
    taking of her property and the violation of her civil rights. These
    actions will be costly, but we believe they are worthwhile. The NAIA
    Trust uses its funds to combat overreaching legislation and to combat
    these types of laws around the country.

If your club or you are able to donate to this crucial effort to
    correct injustice and combat laws that take away our right to own
    dogs, donations to the Defense Fund may be made on-line through PayPal
    or by credit card by clicking on the following link and entering the
    amount to be donated in the input box. After entering the amount of
    the donation, click on the "Submit" button which takes you to the page
    where you can identify yourself and provide credit card information.
    Please insert "Defense" in the space on the line available for the
    "billing address Line 2" so we can keep an accurate accounting of
    donations. The donation link is http://www.naiatrust.org/donationForm.htm

If you wish to mail a contribution, you can send it to:
    NAIA Trust Legal Defense Fund
    PO Box 66579
    Portland Oregon 97290-6579
    Please circulate this to any interested parties.

Should I have heard of NAIA? Their website seems like they have not been very active in the last 12 months

It may just be my ingrained suspicion, but it concerns me that there is not a direct quote from Wendy Willard in that statement. Has she asked them to defend her? It is very hard to defend somebody who has decided that laying low and not antagonizing local law enforcement is the Solomon option.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...erest_Alliance

I have not dealt with them personally so this is all second hand, but I believe that this is the group that is headed by a vet who also sits on the AKC board and have been around for a while. They are legit as far as I know but whether you agree with their positions is another question
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Don't infer that silence is somehow "laying low".

If she's represented by an attorney, her attorney would have advised her to remain silent.

That is perfectly normal and should not be interpreted to mean anything.

Thumbs down Bad Idea

NAIA Trust and Julian Prager wouldn't be the first litigation team that I'd consider in this case. Neither has won a case anywhere with their unconstitutional taking claims. I believe they're the principals or funders in four cases that are floundering or moot. The chief CA lobbist for dog owners was just sued by the state, for fraud. He took $400,000 in 2007, with no accounting.

Time for Dennis Foster to speak up and make the case for a separate MFA funded defense/amici filing, if one's appropriate. No one approves of the way Ms Willard was treated, but donations to such legal efforts require fiscal oversight and policy accountability.
    Last edited by Bob Kane; Aug. 19, 2009 at 10:27 AM.
    Bob Kane, Chairman Emeritus
    Virginia Hunting Dog Owners' Association
    Sportsmen and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance
    http://vhdoa.uplandbirddog.com http://saova.org

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    Should I have heard of NAIA? Their website seems like they have not been very active in the last 12 months

It may just be my ingrained suspicion, but it concerns me that there is not a direct quote from Wendy Willard in that statement. Has she asked them to defend her? It is very hard to defend somebody who has decided that laying low and not antagonizing local law enforcement is the Solomon option.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...erest_Alliance
    NAIA is okay by me, and I will send a contribution to the defense fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kane View Post
    NAIA Trust and Julian Prager wouldn't be the first litigation team that I'd consider in this case. Neither has won a case anywhere with their unconstitutional taking claims. I believe they're the principals or funders in four cases that are floundering or moot.
    Hmm. I'll have to look those up.

Generally, Fifth Amendment takings arguments aren't going to be successful in cases involving personal, as opposed to real, property. (See, e.g. Lucas v. SC Coastal Council) Courts will often find the owner has no right to a use of personal property when the state may legitimately forbid that use under its police powers.

However, many circuits have held that a person has a protected interest in their dogs under the Fourth Amendment, which of course protects ones effects from unreasonable search and seizure.

So I wonder why they'd bring the cases as takings claims?

SmartysMom Guest

Default NAIA

Source Watch says NAIA is part of the evil empire. Anyone Source Watch is against is good with me.

There are many, many lobbying organizations fighting in the CA anti-dog legislation. I don't know, but would suspect, that it is one of the newer ones that had accounting problems, and that it was ignorance, not theft. Wouldn't be surprised if it was HSUS that got them in trouble.

Bashing our fellow fighters against the AR movement is probably not in our own best interests.

Arrow PetPAC's Bill Hemby sued by California in "Operation False Charity"

Quote Originally Posted by SmartysMom View Post
    Source Watch says NAIA is part of the evil empire. Anyone Source Watch is against is good with me.

There are many, many lobbying organizations fighting in the CA anti-dog legislation. I don't know, but would suspect, that it is one of the newer ones that had accounting problems, and that it was ignorance, not theft. Wouldn't be surprised if it was HSUS that got them in trouble.

Bashing our fellow fighters against the AR movement is probably not in our own best interests.
    Did you join COH today, just to comment on this thread? Contrary facts are frequently nettlesome:

----- Original Message -----
    Subject: PetPAC's Bill Hemby sued by California in "Operation False Charity"

Dear Friends:

PetPAC's "star witness" against spay and neuter legislation is in trouble.

Bill Hemby, Chairman of PetPAC and a chief opponent of SB 250, has been named as a defendant in a lawsuit filed by the California Department of Justice, as part of a nationwide sweep called "Operation False Charity."

The complaint alleges that Mr. Hemby, serving as Director and in various positions of authority in the charity organization LEAP (Law Enforcement Apprenticeship Program Foundation) from 2004 to the present, along with the program's other directors, falsely promised contributors that their donations would be used to operate an apprenticeship program for at-risk youth.

According to the complaint, the program was never operated and no students were ever enrolled in it. The donations were instead used to pay for non-charity related purposes, including the personal expenses of the charity's directors.

The lawsuit against Mr. Hemby and LEAP is one of eight lawsuits filed by Attorney General Edmund G. Brown Jr. against "charities that 'shamelessly exploited' people's generosity and squandered millions of dollars of donations intended to help police, firefighters and veterans", according to the news release from the Attorney General's office.

Among the charges that the State of California makes directly against Mr. Hemby:

FILING AND DISTRIBUTING FALSE AND INCOMPLETE RECORDS
    This cause of action claims that non-program expenditures were not properly disclosed, including one year where out of $372,623 in revenue, only $5,615 was spent on program services (less than 2%).

BREACH OF CHARITABLE TRUST
    This cause of action claims that money was solicited for charitable programs that were never even put in place.

UNLAWFUL BUSINESS ACTS OR PRACTICES
    This cause of action claims the defendents (Mr. Hemby and LEAP), from 2001 to 2008, were "making false, deceptive, and misleading statements to donors to induce them to make charitable contributions" and "misrepresented how charitable donations would be used."

Bill Hemby and the COPS connection.

In the same Operation False Charity sweep, the State of California has sued the charity group COPS, where Mr. Hemby is currently the Director of Governmental Affairs. Ironically, the COPS website still contains a link to an interview described as "in this podcast, one of COPS founding members, Bill Hemby, discusses how LEAP, the Law Enforcement Apprenticeship Program, helps at-risk youth seek careers in law enforcement." The actual podcast has been taken off the site.

SCIL has been warning about the fundraising tricks used by the COPS group since 2007, when COPS first came out against our spay and neuter legislation. The COPS area on our website www.PetPACNonsense.com details some of the tricks that the group uses to bring in donations. According to the DOJ lawsuit, donations to COPS in 2006 totaled $11.4 million.

What does this mean for Bill Hemby and PetPAC?

The State of California is requesting judgment against Mr. Hemby and the other LEAP defendants in the form of numerous damages and civil penalties, and a permanent injunction prohibiting Mr. Hemby from controlling or directing the operations of any California nonprofit public benefit corporation.

If the State is successful in their lawsuit, Mr. Hemby will presumably be required to either dissolve PetPAC or remove himself from association with the group, since he is currently Chairman of the group, and their sole lobbyist according to the California Secretary of State website. According to the DOJ website, donations to PetPAC in the 2007 fiscal year totaled $424,648.00.

What does this mean for spay and neuter legislation?

For years, we have been warning about the dangers of sending money to, or receiving information from, the special interest groups and individuals opposed to spay and neuter legislation. They consistently misrepresent the spay and neuter issue for their own personal or financial gain, while misrepresenting themselves as "responsible pet owners" instead of revealing who they really are. The fact that the primary mouthpiece for the opposition, Bill Hemby, is now being sued by the State of California is not a surprise. In hearing after hearing, we have seen Mr. Hemby misrepresent SB 250, and have come to expect that any information from PetPAC is not to be trusted.

In fact, we have come to expect that information from any breeder or animal industry group opposed to SB 250 is not to be trusted.

It is ironic that, at the same time Mr. Hemby and these groups have been increasing their distribution of phony charts and spreadsheets pretending that spay and neuter legislation does not work, the actual communities where these laws are in effect keep telling just the opposite story.

In fact, take a look at the following:

Mr. Hemby and breeder groups have been distributing information and misleading graphs that claim spay and neuter legislation does not work in Santa Cruz. But according to Santa Cruz, the law has "resulted in a 64% drop in shelter impounds"! You can read the story directly from the Santa Cruz SPCA here.

Mr. Hemby and breeder groups have been distributing information that claims spay and neuter legislation does not work in Lake County, CA. But, according to the Director of Lake County Animal Care & Control, "Since enacting the ordinance our numbers have gone down steadily each year. Our spay & neuter ordinance works! We have no increased cost related to the ordinance, in fact it has saved us money..."

Mr. Hemby and breeder groups have been distributing false information that claims spay and neuter legislation does not work anywhere it is implemented. But in New York City, where a law nearly identical to SB 250 was passed in 2000, the results have been stellar. A recent letter from the Mayor's Alliance for NYC Animals states "we have experienced a steady decrease in the euthanasia rate over the past five years due to this legislation." You can read their letter here.

Further reading.

If you want to learn more about Operation False Charity and the State of California's lawsuits against deceptive charities, please click here to read the Attorney General's press release.

If you want to read the actual lawsuit against Mr. Hemby and LEAP, please click here.

If you want to read the actual lawsuit against COPS, please click here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, some great news about AB 241, The Responsible Breeder Act. The Appropriations Committee hearing scheduled for Monday, August 17th, has been waived under rule 28.8, because AB 241 does not incur significant costs for the state. That means AB 241 could be voted on in the full Senate at any time.

So, please visit www.YESonAB241.com, and follow the instructions to call your Senator in support of AB 241 this week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, here's the latest news on SB 250. SB 250 is going to be voted on soon in the Assembly Appropriations Committee, and then the full Assembly. I will be sending out specific requests for action to help it pass in the next few days. Please keep a look out for the email! We need you.

Thank you for everything you do as a true animal advocate.
    Best regards,

Judie Mancuso
    President, Social Compassion In Legislation (SCIL)
    A 501(c)(4) non-profit organization focused on reducing pet overpopulation through legislation.

Forward email

Social Compassion In Legislation | P.O Box 1125 | Laguna Beach | CA | 92652
    ================================================== ====

If MFA's involved, as asserted, Dennis Foster needs to make the case personally and ensure the donations are properly spent and the legal case doesn't harm hunters' interests.
    Last edited by Bob Kane; Aug. 19, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
    Bob Kane, Chairman Emeritus
    Virginia Hunting Dog Owners' Association
    Sportsmen and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance
    http://vhdoa.uplandbirddog.com http://saova.org

Hell, I'm glad that for ONCE, fraudulent solicitation is being taken seriously by a state AG.

I've got quite a list of fraudulent charities, and many of us have reported them to the IRS and various state AG's. Repeatedly. To no avail.

Sounds like the NAIA and other groups are the victims; not the perpetrators.

Not sure why you're posting that information, Mr. Kane. If you're advising people not to donate to NAIA because its officers or employees are accused of criminal misconduct - then say so. If you are saying that NAIA is the victim of fraud, then say so.

And if you think that any entity should take a particular course of action - then contact them personally. Don't expect them to monitor the Internet.