The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack trunk lid supports

My dad is making me a new trunk, but we are having trouble finding lid supports that are strong enough to hold the lid open when it is only partially open (think between 45 and 90 degrees). A friend of mine's trunk has them, so I know they do exist. Just wondering if anyone knows where I might find something like this...

ETA: I need the trunk to stay open part way, as it is under saddle racks that don't allow it to open all the way, and I hate sticking my head in to hold it open while I dig around

A girl at our barn has those in her box and they are awesome! Anyway you can get them at specialty hardware stores, like the ones for carpenters. Otherwise you can also go to an auto parts store and buy the ones that are used for hatch windows in cars. They work well to, and you can get different "stifness's" to your liking.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...lid%20supports These are the lid supports I got for my trunk lid. I got three a left, right & center becouse the lid is really heavey. They also have the nice spring loaded handles too.

mags - are those strong enough to hold a bandage lid? we looked at those, but they don't seem very weighty... how heavy is your lid?

tango - we have been looking, my dad is a carpenter specializing in custom cabinetry, and even he has exhausted his resources to no avail!

I bookmarked a site that sells all of the individual hardware...give me a minute to find it.

Here ya go. Looks like you'd have to contact them directly to get prices but the lid supports are on this page. http://www.phoenixwest.com/hardware.html

I think I saw another site that sold the parts as well, so if I can find it I'll post that too.

Rabbit if you scroll down on the link there are three dif weights for these supports. I guessed that my lid weighs 30 lbs (totally guessing). I just picked the supports that says 95-125 Inch lbs not sure what that means but I got a left, right and center. That should work.

When I was moving barns last week the I opened the lid and the wimpy supports I had on it broke and the lid flipped over backwards and riped the hinges off. I haven't had time to fix it yet but when I'm done that lid will never do that again