The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Maryland Horse Trial @ Loch Moy Derby 9/12?

Anybody planning on going? I won't be competing but I am planning on volunteering all day. I might be the scribe or at xc start or jump judging. If Sara Smallwood is the dressage judge then I hope to scribe, I learn lots from her each time.

A few from my barn also might be coming over too.

A friend of mine who I am trying to lure over to the dark side () will be there for her eventing debut and I will either be there to help her out or I will bring Mark and attempt Training .

Exciting! I love being xc start at the derbies b/c you get to talk to all the people either doing their first event themselves OR their first event with that particular horse. Lots of nervousness and then smiles at the end, plus usually quite a bit of family out for the first time.

Hey Tazzie (and now I KNOW and remember your "actual name", and will use it when I next see you )

I'm planning to bring a greenbean to his first "cross countryish outing" at the Elementary level--and am trying to arrange to get him out somewhere between now and then (he did his very first x-country schooling at FPP a couple weeks ago), but I am HOPING that Carolyn is scheduling the lower divisions at the END this time--since you are "in the know", do you happen to know??
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Bumping because it is two days away and ride times are now up!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I will be there all day volunteering, most likely playing secretary. Hows the weather look for saturday?

Looking good so far but I expect it to be somewhat hot later in the afternoon. Much like it was for the DerbyCross event at LFF. I'm definitely slathering on the SPF 50.

My friend can't make it, but I told her she was going in November if I had to kidnap her and her horse .

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    My friend can't make it, but I told her she was going in November if I had to kidnap her and her horse .
    I would imagine you can only fit one of them in the trunk of your car.

We'll be there. The boss is having a test go on his new ride. The kid and her absolutely adorable pony will be in attendance as well. Our new client is also going to warm up for the fall event season. Actually looking forward to it!

Dr D, the reason I have to drag my ass out of bed early for a schooling show is because YOU don't want to get up early?!?!? grrrrr....

yeah, ditto that, yb. I have a horse going at 8 **$#@*# AM. Apparently Dr. D's fault....

I am so in a state of denial right now...did I really sign up two horses? (yes, practiced the 10 minute warmup I will have if I am lucky on the munchkin today...why the munchkin? Why can't the experienced horse have the 10 minute warmup)...
    is my baby horse actually ready for training (apparently, yes, according to him...)?
    Is my broken horse really sound? (I keep climbing on, waiting to feel something wrong, but no)

Can I really ride two horses in four phases in an hour and a half?

Can I still ride Training at all after 15 months off?

What am I thinking???

I would say I'll see you all there but I expect most SANE people won't even be there by the time I am pulling out....
    eieieieieieiei
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Dr D, the reason I have to drag my ass out of bed early for a schooling show is because YOU don't want to get up early?!?!? grrrrr....

Don't know whether I have THAT much pull with Carolyn, but she and I are of a "similar age", so are able to relate to that menopausal thing...maybe she is willing to cut me (and her other kindred spirits) some slack as a result Though she DID say that she never got to "enjoy" those wretched hot flashes. Damn her! (yb, just wait 25-30 years, get back to me, and I'm betting you will then say, yeah--I would trade getting up early and being young for being old and broken down and never sleeping well and chronically feeling like crap--BUT getting to sleep until 8:00--in a New York minute ) Don't worry, I'm sure she'll switch it up the next time (when it will no doubt be FREEZING in the morning, for the early bird divisions.)

I'm just thrilled that I will finishing up *after* 1:00, for a change, so that I can enjoy a beer without guilt afterwards!

Good luck to everyone, and it looks like we'll have some great weather.
    Last edited by Dr. Doolittle; Sep. 10, 2009 at 11:03 PM.

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

so are you saying that I can't have a beer at 9:50, when I am done?

I think I will deserve one, no matter the outcome. You'll have to have one for me...

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    yeah, ditto that, yb. I have a horse going at 8 **$#@*# AM. Apparently Dr. D's fault....

I am so in a state of denial right now...did I really sign up two horses? (yes, practiced the 10 minute warmup I will have if I am lucky on the munchkin today...why the munchkin? Why can't the experienced horse have the 10 minute warmup)...
    is my baby horse actually ready for training (apparently, yes, according to him...)?
    Is my broken horse really sound? (I keep climbing on, waiting to feel something wrong, but no)

Can I really ride two horses in four phases in an hour and a half?

Can I still ride Training at all after 15 months off?

What am I thinking???

I would say I'll see you all there but I expect most SANE people won't even be there by the time I am pulling out....
    eieieieieieiei
    Poor asterix (and since you are closer to my age, you get more sympathy from me )

The answers to your questions are: Yes, you signed up two horses for the same event, at the same level.

Why can't the experienced horse have the short warmup? Them's the breaks, and Piko has had more "time off", so may actually *indeed* be the one who will NEED the longer warmup.

Is the "baby horse" (note quotations marks, for sarcastic emphasis) ready for Training? Well, according to the Woff, he is "toying with Novice questions" in clinic settings, and according to "you" is toying with Novice questions in competition (and during schooling), and skipping merrily through some toughish T questions. So I'm thinking "yes." And didn't Carolyn promise that there would be NO Trak on the T course this time?

Is the "broken" horse really sound? Yes, and you know that you would NOT be doing this with him if there were even a *shadow* of a doubt.

Can you ride two horses in 4 phases in an hour and a half? Yes, but it will be tough; perhpas you can "channel Philip Dutton", but then again--it's really "two phases in one", so it's more like "dressage" and then "x-country/stadium". And only one course to memorize per phase! For both horses! (There are no stadium schooling rounds available, per Carolyn, since her stadium CD is still dealing with the fallout from the tornado at his farm )

Can you still ride Training after 15 months? YES! Please...You give yourself insufficient credit. Just expect Piko to have a rails at one of the stadium "sticks", and Rafferty to go "OOH! That's a big 'un!" on the approach to a couple of the log oxers. Otherwise, you and they will rock.

And too bad for you that it will be too early to "crack a cold one" afterward, since you will both need and deserve one! Good luck to you and your boys, and we will be expecting a full report afterwards...

Well, it's always 5:00 o'clock somewhere, as they say

Gotta go, the Steelers are driving down the field against the Titans, husband is snoring upstairs, and must watch game to the end, cause the damn man forced me into being a Pittsburgh fan...

Big cheer for Team Asterix from New York City...

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    so are you saying that I can't have a beer at 9:50, when I am done?

I think I will deserve one, no matter the outcome. You'll have to have one for me...
    Instead of a beer, how about either a bloody mary or a mimosa?

rain, rain go away
    I have no stud holes -- didn't want to be tempted to run rehab boy in the mud and the young'un on questionable ground.
    Now I am kicking myself.
    Someone tell me footing'll be fine...

(and Dr D, he is still SUCH a baby, I can justify calling him that. He'll probably jump the big lox oxer just fine and goggle at the white plan stadium fence, trust me).
    Carolyn told me NO trak and NO ditch and wall. I am so not ready for the ditch and wall...

have fun on your elementary baby!!!

His new little brother

Can't wait to see you all tomorrow, especially Dr D on a new horse!

We have 2 judges, Kim Murphy and Sara Smallwood. I'll be the scribe for Sara, so say a quick hello if you get a chance.

I love these little shows, so much fun and so much to learn for horses and riders. And so laid back! I hope everybody has a fun time and comes away happy!