The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thanks to Sally Cousins

for a FANTASTIC xc clinic yesterday at St Augustine Pony Club- we all had a great time!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 21, 2009 at 09:11 AM.

I also attended the clinic and came away with some really great tools. The wonderful thing about Sally is that she is so open minded and has a lot of different tools from all the horses she rides. She had me trying all sorts of things on my big guy to see what kind of ride was really going to work the best. In the end his prefered ride was really sitting into him and using almost a bit of a driving seat. It gave him confidence and it is probably only a temporary style of riding for him but the right tool at the right time can do wonders. She really listens to your opinion and will give you suggestions but is quick to recognize when something isn't working and give you something else to try.

I love her thinking especially in terms of riding greenies. She told me several times there is "no need to be a hero." Basically make the right decisions for yourself and the horse. A stop is just a stop so don't be a hero trying to get the horse over the fence or using the stick/spurs if you know the horse is just green and will mentally get a bit shut down with to much going on. My horse is green and started out wanting to have a look at the first three "bigger" fences we jumped. His feet stop moving and there isn't a whole bunch that seems to influence him but he isn't being bad/mean he is just green. He jumped confident on the reapproach each time and although you know that is the right thing for the horse not to discipline him it is nice to get that confirmed. 10 min in he was jumping super confident and she said with a lot of horse it is just knowing how many fences they need to jump to become confident. Some need 15 and others need three.

Sally always gives me confidence in my riding which is really appreciated. I was told I did an excellent job always being in the right place at the right time and most of the time that was a bit behind him but he really needed me to be there. I often feel like I ride too defensively but if Sally says I am doing it right then I will be happy to believe her. I think my guy is right on the grasp of really getting it. He finished up so confident and happy last night. Off to Carousel Starter this weekend.

Default she is the best.

sally is the best at making you feel like you have accomplished something and her sense of humor is not to be topped.

julie and pip
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 21, 2009 at 09:13 AM.

BeverlyAStrauss is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

She is great! We had our first and only lesson with her early in the season and it was a breakthrough lesson for Wish. Wanted to get back for more but life gets in the way. Fast forward to the clinic- she couldnt believe it was the same horse- once again, Sally was low key and encouraging- not at all flustered if a horse made a mistake ("that is why we are here--for training")- and with just a few words can instantly fix something for the better, no matter who the horse or rider are. Totally awesome.

Sally is so good at making both horse and rider feel CONFIDENT. I always feel like a much better rider by the end of my lessons.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 21, 2009 at 09:19 AM.
    "A canter is a cure for every evil." -Benjamin Disraeli

Thumbs up

Another big thumbs up for Sally & her teaching style! We went next door to her farm and had a lovely school today - our two working students on some green beans and me on the horse she's been campaigning for my mom. She worked with the babies to get them thinking about their jobs and was really awesome giving the riders pointers to help improve what their ride. From my DQ point of view, we all accomplished big goals today and the horses had an awesome experience.

I'm in yellow (be kind as it has been about 10 years since I jumped anything of size), and the girl in purple is on a 5 year old and the stripes is a 4 year old.

I go back on Monday for another lesson and can't wait!!! (gotta get that proper arch through my shoulders!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	26315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0263.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	26316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	26317  
    Last edited by Tasker; Aug. 22, 2009 at 09:02 AM.

Wow, that 4-year-old certainly knows how to overjump. How cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Tasker View Post
    Another big thumbs up for Sally & her teaching style! We went next door to her farm and had a lovely school today - our two working students on some green beans and me on the horse she's been campaigning for my mom. She worked with the babies to get them thinking about their jobs and was really awesome giving the riders pointers to help improve what their ride. From my DQ point of view, we all accomplished big goals today and the horses had an awesome experience.

I'm in yellow (be kind as it has been about 10 years since I jumped anything of size), and the girl in purple is on a 5 year old and the stripes is a 4 year old.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 22, 2009 at 02:19 PM.

BeverlyAStrauss is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

See??? She gives horses and riders confidence!!!