The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The Continental Studbook and Viagen

I received this interesting email this evening, and thought I would share it here:

The Continental Studbook and ViaGen Announce Cooperation on Warmblood and Thoroughbred Sport Foal Registrations

AUGUST 11, 2009. The Continental Studbook and ViaGen are pleased to announce that the two companies are working together to register cloned foals produced for North America.

ViaGen is recognized as the global leader in cloning technology and gene banking services. The Austin, Texas, based company has produced more cloned horses than any other company or research institution in the world. The Continental Studbook is an elite Olympic and hunter sport breeding registry modeled specifically for North America. The Eugene, Oregon, based company is an inclusive registry of high quality horses comprised of sport thoroughbreds and all top ranked warmblood breeds.

The relationship is an excellent fit for both ViaGen and the Continental Studbook. ViaGen has cloned and continues to clone some of the significant performance and breeding horses in our sports, and the Continental Studbook is dedicated to giving domestic breeders the opportunities to produce the highest quality and best performing horses possible. Until now, the genetic contributions of many great horses were unavailable to breeders. Colts born at ViaGen can now be registered in the Continental Studbook and eventually can be licensed for breeding provided stallion requirements are met. High performance mares which may have competed through their prime reproductive years can now produce.

In the Continental Studbook future stallions can service the largest possible domestic mare population with limited overhead for their owners, and mare owners can use these stallions without geopolitical restrictions. Traditional breeding methods will continue to represent the vast majority of horse registrations, but the Continental Studbook is proud to support access to important genes for domestic breeders who choose to use them. Cloned stallions are now used for breeding in Europe, and the Continental Studbook is pleased to bring the same opportunities to breeders in North America.

Contact details and further information may be found by accessing either the Continental Studbook or ViaGen websites.

Continental Studbook LLC
    PO Box 70750
    Eugene, OR 97401
    www.continentalstudbook.com

ViaGen, Inc.
    12357-A Riata Trace Parkway, Suite 100
    Austin, Texas 78727
    www.viagen.com

--
    Office of the Continental Studbook
    PO Box 70750
    Eugene, OR 97401

Ph: 541-954-0048
    Fax: 541-726-0495

office@continentalstudbook.com
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I got this interesting email too... anyone heard of the Continental Studbook before?

I received the e-mail as well.
    www.four-leaf-farm.com
    Proud Breeder of Trakehners and Anglo-Trakehners.

The Continental Studbook is an up and coming warmblood and sport thoroughbred registry dedicated to promoting the quality achievements of breeders in North America. It became public only this May, but already counts among its customers some very accomplished domestic horse people both in sport and breeding.

We are pleased to answer any questions about the Studbook, ViaGen or the relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnenschein View Post
    I got this interesting email too... anyone heard of the Continental Studbook before?
    Yes, I have heard of them since their start up. They are an up and coming registry.
    I like what they are trying to get accomplished. Give them a bit of time.
    Best Regards
    Ken Wong
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    www.StarStallions.com

The email came to me as well. This was my reply:
    Greetings!
    I'm not sure how you got my email, but would be interested in learning more about your new venture. Do you have a by-laws, list of officers, and tax status available? If you do, I would be very interested in studying them. As I/we own several very successful and well-known stallions as well as generations of mares and foals successful in sport, we are always interested in the best possible registration options.
    Thank you

If I were to buy stock in a start up company I would ask the same questions.
    FWIW I can already register a clone with my registry of choice.

Good luck with the new venture.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Anne, valid questions but funny you compare buying stock with registering your stock
    Btw, good chance your stallions are already on their website as accepted breeding stallions and that is without buying anything....
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Anne had actually contacted us directly with most of these questions, and several were answered. Others are being answered with some material that we are sending to her. I will follow up later, but I can answer the tax status quickly. This was a hot topic re another registry lately, so I would like to answer it very clearly and in great detail.

The Continental Studbook LLC tax/business structure is modeled after one of the most successful "registries", i.e., the American Jockey Club (http://www.jockeyclub.com/) which was incorporated in the late 1800's. For history buffs, an original NYT article of its very similar founding can be found here http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...669D94699FD7CF. The LLC is incorporated in Delaware for typical business purposes, and it has its office and is registered DBA in Oregon, which also has no sales tax. This structure makes life easy and less expensive for breeders and removes some overhead for the organization.

There is some text of why the Studbook is an LLC and not a 501(c)3 on the website, and the reason is NOT profit, which can be generated from a 501(c)3 just as easily as an LLC. The fundamental reasons are that it (a) creates stability in the Studbook breeding direction, dedication to quality brand name development and focus on providing excellent service, (b) directors are required to invest cold hard cash which funds the early operations and ensured that they will work hard for its success (the Studbook eliminated membership charges and paperwork for breeders), (c) the Studbook is not burdened by the turn-over and overhead costs of elections which could also result in changes of priorities or breeding direction.

It is very important in the early stages for breeders who are considering the Studbook to know that it will survive the first 5-10 years because it is well funded (and by then the branded horses will be in the big rings), and also that all of the good reasons that they chose the Studbook will still be in place in 10 years time. There is no chance of the Studbook having to fend off election challenges from people that want to change its breeding philosophy, for example, or of having volunteer leaders elected to important positions but then make no contribution to the hard work of running a registry. There is no chance of the Studbook going bankrupt even if registrations are zero, which they aren't. The Studbook was founded in a way that it is not possible to be under pressure to compromise goals or breeding direction just to generate revenue. That is why it does not issue profitable Certificates of Pedigrees or have tiered books, but instead brings breeders from different backgrounds together under one equal book to encourage discussion among each other and to promote the quality WB, WB/TB and TB horses being developed in North America.

So those are the details of why it is an LLC and not a 501(c)3.

Most or even all of the dressage/jumper clones to date have been registered under European registries which are either not active or barely active in North America. Eventually some important domestic stallions produced by ViaGen will be available through the Continental Studbook for breeders that wish to use them. We are very pleased to be working with ViaGen to bring the same opportunities to domestic breeders that are going to be available to Europeans, and the vast number of domestic stallions are still eligible to breed in the Studbook with $0 cost to the stallion owner.

Robert
    Continental Studbook
    www.continentalstudbook.com

Thank you for the information on your tax status. I am still waiting for the snail mail to bring your packet.
    Thank you!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

If you are interested, there is (or was, anyway) a pretty extensive thread on the Continental Studbook a few months ago. You should be able to search and bring it right up. Interesting reading.