The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for H/J training barn in Alpharetta, Canton, or Woodstock GA for OTTB

Hi All! I have a green OTTB that I'm bringing along and need advice on barns in the North Atlanta area. I need a trainer who I can take lessons with but who will also be able to do training rides on my horse and help bring her along. I'm looking for someone who is experienced with OTTBs and who has a nice, well maintained facility with great care to board at.
    Thanks for your help!

Hopefully DMK will see this. She's in that area. Maybe send her a pm?

Default Back when I lived there...

I took a few lessons from Janet Salem and loved each and every one! Wish I could have ridden with her more. I'm sure she is still at Patchwork Farms in Canton. I can't speak to her experience with OTTB or doing training rides, but I still think she is great and worth checking out for you and your horse!
    ---------------
    I once belonged to Charlie (but now he lives with another BB member). I still have Sissy-1982 Quarter Horse Mare and Chrome-Percheron/TB Mare

Quote Originally Posted by CharliesMom View Post
    I took a few lessons from Janet Salem and loved each and every one! Wish I could have ridden with her more. I'm sure she is still at Patchwork Farms in Canton. I can't speak to her experience with OTTB or doing training rides, but I still think she is great and worth checking out for you and your horse!
    Janet is great, I used to ride with her too!!! Janet's daughter Lauren has turned professional and rides for Patchwork now. Lauren is very good and I know they have worked with OTTB's in the past. I actually tried one of their OTTB's when I was shopping for a new horse a few years ago. Beautiful facility as well!!

http://www.mapleshadefarm.net/index.htm

Not sure if she does lessons but she her OTTB's turn out to be amazing animals! I'm not from the area and have no idea if she is even close to you but she maybe able to help .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

You have a PM

You have a pm

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgirl View Post
    http://www.mapleshadefarm.net/index.htm

Not sure if she does lessons but she her OTTB's turn out to be amazing animals! I'm not from the area and have no idea if she is even close to you but she maybe able to help .
    I don't think she's anywhere near the kind of driving distance from Atlanta that the OP is looking for. Plus, I am not aware that she gives lessons/coaches or boards. And she doesn't run a "hunter jumper training barn." She's an eventer. Love her, would recommend her for shopping for an OTTB, but she is not what the OP is looking for.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by opossum View Post
    You have a PM
    Hey I was hoping you'd chime in and let her know what you've found out!
    I hear you'll be at my farm on thursday afternoon, son has a football scrimage so I won't be here!

Jonna Wilks is looking forward to seeing you and your boy!
    Glad Carolyn Bell went well too.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! Patchwork Farm is full with a waiting list.
    Anyone else have any recommendations?
    Thanks!!!!

I always tell people that with great reservations! You just never know.......

So feel free to stop in and meet us. The other suggestions you've gotten are terrific BTW.

www.englishivyfarms.com

Maureen really knows her stuff and is down to earth. She was wonderful with my OTTB!
    WBs-horse version of SUVs. Big, lumbering, perceived safe and more fashionable than minivans (QHs). Some cant handle speed and sensitivity of sportscars (TBs) but one can roll in style in Escalades!