The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update on pseudo-neglect case (pics posted 8/19)

I have posted a couple of times about a horse at my barn whose owner doesn't seem to get the clue about hoof care.

Last week, I posted about it to work out some angles...kind of a WWYD.

Anyway...it actually worked out pretty well.

Background:
    (skip to today if you already know the story)

Horse has been at barn for roughly 8 months. Owner is several months behind on board. When I first moved in, I kind of made a stink about the feet to the BO because they were horrid. BO paid to have them done.

Fast forward...I've run into the owner three times now and my personal opinions aside, it is pretty evident that she's clueless. Got the horse for free, says he has a history of founder (which after getting under him, I'd say is not as likely as just poor hoof care), and says that her farrier told her that horses only need to be done every 4-6 MONTHS.

When I went out last week, the poor thing was barely ambulatory. Really having a hard time walking. Another boarder had had her farrier out to look and was willing to pay, but he didn't want to do a trim without radiographs. Said it was the BO's problem and he didn't want to get involved.

BO was pretty much beside herself. I was concerned with liability of just doing the horse w/o owner's permission. Didn't really think I could make anything stick with AC because the horse has ample food and shelter and water.

I thought about it some more and finally decided to heck with it. I'd take pics and just do it. Couldn't keep going up there to see my girls and do nothing for this guy.

Today

So I texted the BO Sat and said that if someone would hold him, I'd do him. She emailed me and I didn't get the message til this morning...but she was thanking me and such and agreed to arrange for someone to hold the horse. (I had no idea how he'd tie or if he'd stand well...wanted help)

Didn't hear back from her so I went on up with riding clothes (just in case it was a no go) and my tools. Got there and the BO's SIL and the other concerned boarder were there. He offered to hold the horse.

I took pics, but my USB cable is at work. Will load tomorrow.

I was still nervous, but all agreed that to do nothing was wrong, and I probably couldn't make it any worse.

He stood like an ANGEL. It was as if he knew we were trying to help. Even when I could tell he was getting a little uncomfortable, he would try to be still until I gave him a break. (could've been the cookies)

Upon closer inspection, I don't think that he's foundered. Lots of forward flare, but decent frog, decent collateral groove, etc. Just 2 1/2 inches of toe and separation on the fronts. Hinds weren't that bad. Some subsolar abscess stuff at the toe, but nothing super alarming.

Trimmed him up and he walked off SO much better with his "flippers" removed.

One of the guys came by after I was done and was like, "OMG. He looks GREAT!"

Then the BO's husband walked by and handed me 30 bucks. I told him, "No, I said I'd do this for free."

That's when I got the "good" news. They had gotten ahold of owner and told her that the horse HAD to be done and to drop off $$. She did.

So...consent was covered, even though I didn't know when I started. I feel SO much better about it! I didn't get "after" pics because it was getting dark...but I have to tell you that I will sleep a lot better tonight.

He was given some banamine just in case...but honestly? I don't think he'll be sore at all. He was moving so well--even on the gravel. His soles seem fine...it was just all that forward flare.

So. There ya go. Alls well that ends well I guess. I know it's not a "fix" for the whole situation...but I feel like at least I've left the situation better than I found it.

Pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by BuddyRoo; Aug. 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Good on you for helping the horse.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Let's hope all is well in the next week or two.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Lex, I think that the legal aspects can be covered sufficiently in the next 21 days to ensure that he won't have to wait 6 months for his next trim.

Found someone willing to take him if the BO does do a lien. She's a farrier herself (the person willing to take him) so he could be taken care of.

I dunno. We shall see. There's not a whole lot *I* can do legally as it's A) not my barn B) not my horse and C) AC not real willing to get involved. I do plan to send them the pics tomorrow for their records, but I doubt much will come of it.

Still....priority one=the horse. And at least today and for the next few days, he's more comfortable.

Just be as thorough as possible in the details of everything you document as far as what you've done for care and your inquiring as to the status of care for the horse for legal purposes and you also may want to see if you can find any veterinary references from the BO regarding the horse though I suspect this has probably run it's course. At any rate, I shall think warm fuzzy thoughts about it for you.

Aww good on you BR.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Yeah, I know the treating veterinarian...there have been some discrepancies with that too...so I definitely have that base covered.

Roo I'm so glad you helped that poor boy!! There's a special place in heaven for you for the way you care for animals.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Shoot, I forgot to post the pics....

From the front:
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...lysfeet010.jpg

RF:
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...lysfeet011.jpg

LF:
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...lysfeet013.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...lysfeet016.jpg

I am also happy to report (because I was nervous as heck) that last night he was running and bucking. The other boarder who was checking on him for me said that he's moving even better than he was after the trim. He has stopped picking his feet up so high--ie: getting used to not having flippers.

As you can see, this is not the worst ever case of neglected feet. But...he still was having a really hard time walking and when he did, was tripping. Nearly fell on the BO the other day.

I will take some after shots when I check on him/touch him up this weekend. Just ran out of daylight Monday night.

Oh B'roo! That poor horse. I would have been right there with ya, rasp in hand!

Can't wait to see "afters"
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Wow. That's some serious Dutch shoe action there. I hope you can make him as comfortable as possible. Poor fella. He's lucky to have you watching out for him. I'll keep jingling from my little corner.

Yeah, you really can't tell from the pic per se, but there's about 2 inches of lamellar wedge basically....so the hoof wall right now (at the toe) is practically 1/2 inch off the ground and pointing almost parallel to the ground.

BUT. He's sound. He's moving. And that is all good. Not pretty, but functionality is better.

Because there were rocks up in there and some moderate infection, I am going to go up this weekend and check in again, clean things up, just generally give it the once over.

Sorry for the lack of quality pics, but not "knowing" the horse and not wanting to spend any more time than I had to thinking that it was actually a covert mission, I was moving quickly.

Poor guy.

He must be a lot more comfortable today.

How long does it take for feet to get like that?

Come Shine, I don't know exactly.

When I moved to the barn mid-February, they were worse than that. His hoof wall is pretty strong and it just wasn't self-trimming at all. I kind of made a stink about it then (the first day I saw him) and BO ended up having her farrier trim him.

He wasn't very aggressive with it...(not that I blame him). He had told owner to get the horse done again in 3-4 weeks. Well, I *think* after talking it over with the BO that the horse hasn't been done since then. So...it wasn't like we're talking about 5-6 mos of growth from a previously healthy foot. More like 5-6 mos of growth on a foot that was neglected to begin with.

The upside is that when the other guy trimmed him several months ago, he actually did get the angles going pretty well and you can see some of the growth from a few months ago was going the right direction. So in all honesty? If he could be kept up on, I would expect him to be doing pretty well within a couple of months.

Only way that will happen is if A) BO gets ownership and either rehomes or keeps up with trimming or B) in the the meantime someone *coughmecough* keeps doing it for free.

So, from February to August would normally be about 3 - 4 trims? Does that sound about right? Sigh. I just can't understand letting a horse get like that, I suppose.

You really don't need to know anything about horses to look at those pictures to see the horse needs his toenails trimmed. I guess I certainly take a lot for granted regarding horse care. I have never seen feet like that.

I hope things work out for him.

Sadly, I've seen worse. Quite a bit worse. But usually by the time I've seen them, the horse has already been removed from the environment so there's not all this liability crap to deal with. I haven't had to personally deal with these though.

From Feb to Aug...for a horse in this condition, were it MY horse, I'd have been tackling it every 2-3 weeks. Minimum 7 trims if you were doing it once a month. More like 9 or 10 if it were me and I had a horse in this kind of shape.

That IS sad.

I guess I understand how sometimes things just get away from people, but when people are offering to help do something that obviously needs to be done, at a cost that really isn't that terribly expensive, how can someone not follow through? No anwer needed. Just quietly musing.

All the best to him.