The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rubbermaid flat-back buckets?

I have some water buckets I really like, and I can't find any like them any more. They are flat-backed and have a round plastic piece on each side, where the handle attaches. (Instead of having a handle that wraps through a metal loop.) I looked at mine and they were made by Rubbermaid, but I can't find them online. And I can't find any others with the round part. Have you seen any?

I have a Rubbermaid bucket exactly as you describe. It was purchased years and years ago and I'm thankful I've had it this long! Sadly, I can't seem to find that same design. Maybe it was discontinued? The only reason I don't have two is because I left one behind at a barn when I sold my last horse.

I checked the Rubbermaid web site and can't find them, so I'm guessing they don't make them any more. Neither Duraflex nor Fortiflex make them. I know a lot of people who like this style bucket because it's a little safer for the horse. I'll have to hold on to mine carefully!

hbrocks Guest

Thanks. The first two are closest to what I am looking for, but they are heated. The third is the old hard rubber style feed bucket, and it is the traditional metal like all the other buckets around today.

i got mine from a diy store -- and cut the rope handles off
    muck buckets are the same type --big plastic buckets which i use for water only in a stable as they hold 6 normal buckets of water

then you can get the flexi buckets which are light with rubber handles from varieis sizes
    ok for skipping out , feed etc but if using for water in a stable need to be put in an old tyre
    so horses dont kick then around

look here www.tubtrug.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    i got mine from a diy store -- and cut the rope handles off
    muck buckets are the same type --big plastic buckets which i use for water only in a stable as they hold 6 normal buckets of water

then you can get the flexi buckets which are light with rubber handles from varieis sizes
    ok for skipping out , feed etc but if using for water in a stable need to be put in an old tyre
    so horses dont kick then around

look here www.tubtrug.co.uk
    also loook under kanguro feed buckets

hbrocks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    Those are interesting
    Thanks for the tip!

When I was in the Wooster Ohio area about 5-8 years ago I stopped in unannounced at the Rubbermaid factory (I used to write articles akin to Made In America TV show)
    The atmosphere was grim, the employees were all moping around. Finally, a supervisor explained the entire factory was closing and all production was moving overseas. When pushed, he finally confessed that the demand of "our biggest single distributor" to lower thier wholesale prices had forced them to cease production in the US. (Wal*Mart)
    The factory buildings and the equipment in them were huge. It was like a small city with tons of people employed: operators, packers, equipment mechanics, engineers, administrative support, drivers, a full staff of designers etc.

You can no longer find those great quality buckets because they are now poorly made knock offs made overseas with the Rubbermaid logo on them.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I observed first hand this travesty in America.

That explains why my old Rubbermaid bucket feels thicker/heavier than the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hbrocks View Post
    Those are interesting
    Thanks for the tip!
    American Version of 'em: Fortex Flexible Tub

I have four of the 6 gallon ones and one of the 11 gallon. I love them! They've been flung, stepped on and driven over. Not a crack. Easy to clean and they're the easiest to carry & pour.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I have long been looking for more of the Rubbermaid buckets with the knobs on the outside that the handle attaches to as I'm down to my last one. And I consider it too precious to use anymore because I haven't been able to find any in catalogs! So, I turned to the good 'ole Google search. One result was this thread on here. And then low and behold.... I found a source. They're not made by Rubbermaid anymore (that I could find), but by Duraflex, but they have 'em! So, for anyone else who would also like to stock up on them, I wanted to share the link. They're about halfway down the page...

http://www.southernstates.com/catalo...st=0&pagenum=3

Tubtrugs make flexible tubs in all sizes and colors. They are FOOD grade and made in Europe. We live in the cold and they hold up through our bitter winters. You can tie them up in the stalls and NO metal so no worries on catching the horses.

Their XL size is wonderful for carrying hay. It lasts and lasts unlike the big plastic tubs with the ropes which break all the time here.

Best of all they come in a ton of colors so the kids each have a color for their horse so I can see who left their buckets out!