The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Heads up

We have a great thread going on over in the Dressage Forum for Disabled and NQR riders. If you are disabled, suffering from an injury, have chronic pain, or even someone who doesn't fit the average eventer profile, please join us. If you have any input or interest, come on over! It is not a DQish thread and there is no snarkiness. We are just a group of "not as able" riders looking for support and ways to help each other. The thread is titled "Trainers for disabled riders"
    Last edited by Invite; Aug. 17, 2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add info

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

What if you just "suck"?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I've been trying to figure out if "Rider (me) is a Moron" qualifies...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

We need a sub-forum don't you think?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Smile Sub-Forum

A sub-forum would be fantastic. I believe we may get one if enough interest is generated. I think it would be fantastic, as there are many riders who are not the average rider and need some extra help. It can be hard to post on a regular forum if you have a difficult issue.

I agree wholeheartedly that riders who have different needs or require alternative methods of instruction due to disability should have some sort of forum here or elsewhere to voice their concerns and exchange ideas but I'm stumping for the crappy riders. Those are my people!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly that riders who have different needs or require alternative methods of instruction due to disability should have some sort of forum here or elsewhere to voice their concerns and exchange ideas but I'm stumping for the crappy riders. Those are my people!
    We should have an "I've been riding to long to suck this bad" forum.....with a "Why do I have an irrational fear of X (jumping, galloping, dressage, mounting blocks...)" subforum.

I did find out recently that I am my trainer's 'most advanced' rider (doing my first training this Sunday after a decade at Novice and lets not mention I am also her oldest student by at least 20 years....damn preteen kids!)

Well if that doesn't put your riding into perspective, I don't know what can!

Hey, could we start a sub forum "I suck so bad I ruined my horse and now I want to shoot myself in the head (or at least foot?)"

No no no! You can't shoot yourself in the foot because you're such a bad rider that your horse already stomped on your foot to tell you to quit riding while you still can.

Default Sucking can be a disability too

I highly doubt you guys suck, but come on over to dressage and chime in!

Thumbs down So... being disabled = $hitty rider jokes?

Sorry, but I find it rather offensive that when this topic gets introduced, about riders with disabilities, the jokes are all about "if I suck does that qualify?" or "if I'm a moron..."

No, probably not. Being disabled does not equal being a $hitty rider, or a moron. Some of the para riders in this country are riding FEI dressage and kicking abled-bodied ass -- especially the abled-bodied ass of "morons" who "suck."

(Sorry, Lex, I usually think you are pretty funny; this time I just find the posts from you and others offensive.)
    I evented just for the Halibut.

[QUOTE=NeverTime;4312906]Sorry, but I find it rather offensive that when this topic gets introduced, about riders with disabilities, the jokes are all about "if I suck does that qualify?" or "if I'm a moron..."

No, probably not. Being disabled does not equal being a $hitty rider, or a moron. Some of the para riders in this country are riding FEI dressage and kicking abled-bodied ass -- especially the abled-bodied ass of "morons" who "suck." ......

I agree 100% NT.

There is an Irish para rider - can't remember his name - who lays down the most gorgeous dressage tests. They are straight, light, forward, balanced, elegant - all the good stuff that when done right looks so damn easy, but isn't. He has one leg, the other being amputated practically at the hip.

If you ever get a chance to watch him, do so. "Disabled" -technically yes. Incredibly able, God yes!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    Sorry, but I find it rather offensive that when this topic gets introduced, about riders with disabilities, the jokes are all about "if I suck does that qualify?" or "if I'm a moron..."

No, probably not. Being disabled does not equal being a $hitty rider, or a moron. Some of the para riders in this country are riding FEI dressage and kicking abled-bodied ass -- especially the abled-bodied ass of "morons" who "suck."

(Sorry, Lex, I usually think you are pretty funny; this time I just find the posts from you and others offensive.)
    I did not mean to offend. On my side, the joke is more the 'wish I had an excuse' kind of joke. Like when someone without full use of their legs gets an Olympic gold (Lis Hartel), why can't I master first level?

Why do I have irrational fears based on nothing and yet someone else with valid excuses is running bravely past me on a cross country course.

It was meant as more of a dig on ourselves rather than the abilities of anyone else - because while we have no barriers to success, we make them. Those that do have barriers simply climb over them, leaving us in the dust.

James Dwyer. He and I ride together.
    Another fabulous para rider is Becca Hart, the reigning US champion. (She's been jumping my horse and - just maybe - will go on a little eventing jaunt w/him in the not-too-distant future.)

So maybe because I see so many of these guys -- some of the current US team members and hopefuls -- busting their butts on a daily basis and doing dressage that me and my advanced-level event horse could never begin to approximate ... I realize just how offensive it is to assume and to joke that disabled = worse than average. Both of the two people I mentioned can lay down a PSG or 4th Level test that beats able-bodied riders, one without a leg and the other with a pair of semi-paralyzed legs.

Give a little respect where it's due.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by flutie1 View Post
    [
    There is an Irish para rider - can't remember his name - who lays down the most gorgeous dressage tests. They are straight, light, forward, balanced, elegant - all the good stuff that when done right looks so damn easy, but isn't. He has one leg, the other being amputated practically at the hip.

If you ever get a chance to watch him, do so. "Disabled" -technically yes. Incredibly able, God yes!
    Flutie, I think you are talking about James Dwyer. Watched him ride in May at Lamplight. His rides were breathtaking!!!!

I have a huge amount of respect for those riders, as I suspect anyone else commenting on this forum does. I would love to be able to put in as beautiful a test as some of our paralympians, and the challenges they overcome are amazing.

Should we ACTUALLY have a "people who just can't ride" division? Um, no. But if we want to make a few jokes at our own expense, I don't have an issue with it and don't see how it diminishes the accomplishments of the truly disabled riders...

Now back your regularly scheduled program.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

James and Becca both ride at my barn, and let me tell you that I hope if I work really hard for another 10 years, I might be 1/2 as good as they are. Plus, they are both really great, fun people. I will tell you that I have been intrigued to start learning about the strange (even stranger than ours) politics of the para-dressage rules/qualifications/fundraising world. In addition to everything else, the para riders have far fewer resources to help them get out in front of the judges etc. Both Becca and James are trying to raise sufficient funds to go to Norway in the fall to be in front of the judges leading up to WEG selections and it is tough, no equivalent of AHTF and the para association doesn't seem to have much money to give out in grants
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I didn't read any of the earlier posts as offensive--well, maybe it is if you think we're all so stupid as to assume all disabled riders have the same issues.

I think this is one of those "a square is a rectangle, but not all rectangles are squares." Being a moron might qualify you as a disabled rider, but that does not mean all disabled riders are morons. Just like being an amputee qualifies you to be a disabled rider, but that does not mean all disabled riders are amputees.

It's a big tent folks, maybe lighten up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by BBowen View Post
    Flutie, I think you are talking about James Dwyer. Watched him ride in May at Lamplight. His rides were breathtaking!!!!
    That be him. he's amazing!