The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default deal or no deal on this truck?

I had a truck on trial from the dealership this weekend. It's a 2001 F-250 with a V10 engine. Seems to be in good shape and has 120,000 miles on it, they want $10,500 for it. It's set up with a brake box up front and a fifth-wheel hitch (I won't need that). Kelly blue book for this truck in excellent condition is 10,455, but it is only in good condition (about 9850).

So over the weekend I decided if I get the truck, I want some repairs and tune ups done on it and I also want the sales tax included in the price. The repairs come to around $900 if they do it (brakes - rotor turned, tune up, oil change, transmission flush, rear end differential cap replaced). The sales tax will be around $800. This is what I asked for.

They came back and said they would lose money if they did that. I think that is crap because I doubt they traded for more than $8500 on the truck. The new deal was that I could choose either the repairs or the sales tax. I don't have the cash to pay the sales tax and the repairs would cost me a lot more than it would cost them to do them. So I came back with removing the oil change and transmission flush from the repairs as a compromise. They came back and said I have to choose sales tax or repairs.

Should I stick to my guns and walk away if they won't negotiate further. Or is this a good deal?

Also I only have a few more hours on my trial, so help, quick.

Default BTW, You also realize...

That the V10 has a lot less torque than a Diesel, and will GULP gas.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Oh yeah I already freaked about the gas mileage, but I can't find a diesel in my price range. This truck would be used for 1-2K miles each year so I came to terms with the gas issue.

Walk away for a while. A lot of dealers are now realizing they're going to be sitting on excess used vehicles since the C4C program is slooooooooow at paying out. Now that the regulations have changed so that the dealers don't have to kill the engines within 24 hours, a lot of these vehicles are just sitting on the lots, with the dealers waiting to see whether or not they'll even get paid for them. If the government fails to live up to its side of the bargain, those cars and trucks will get dumped onto the used car market at once.

Default Truck

I have one, and love it. I have a 2000, same mileage, extended cab, B&W hitch, bedliner, brush guard, and love it. BUT....the manifold is too small for the V-10, and I have 2 broken bolts off in the block, and need to have it fixed. That said, if you go to craigslist in Texas, for example, those trucks are a dime a dozen for less than 9k . Stick to your guns. I baby mine, so the MPG isn't an issue. I have a 96 Geo Metro to zip around in .

Walk away.

Default Found truck

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ctd/1324568683.html

You could fly to Texas and drive a truck home for less. You can also find diesels everywhere there too. I have family there, so if you consider San Antonio, you'll have a free place to stay !

I am going to walk away and see what happens. I suppose there will be another one along the way. I still don't have a horse trailer so it's not urgent, this truck is just pretty and runs well and I have seen a lot of crap out there.

I've seen diesels with same mileage down here for that much and some for less here in
    the Dallas area. For a gas engine, it sounds kinda of high to me.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Well, I live in Arkansas so Texas really isn't that far. Maybe I need to take a cruise down to Texarkana or Dallas and hit the dealerships (financing for a private sale has really high interest) when I really get desperate to finally have a truck. The camry can do about 5 fence posts and a few bags of concrete at a time, but it can't do a horse trailer so for now I will just hope that my friend will keep letting me ride with her.

When in doubt, don't.

Hold out for what you truly want.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I'd walk away. If they are a dealership, they can do the repairs for a very low cost. I bet they end up calling you back.

I too would walk away. There are quite a few deals to be had, even in my metropolitan area. I just got a 2001 Silverado 2500HD, 8.1 liter, 4x4 king cab with tow extras, many upgrades and 70k miles at less than $14k all in. I spent 2 days driving to every dealership within 30 miles and I lost out on 2 other trucks I reallllly wanted (one they couldn't get to my price and another we were set on price, valuing my trade-in when the guy who left a deposit a week and a half prior showed up with his loan approval).

Each one felt like a steal but the deal that worked best for me gave me the best truck (I think) my money could buy Fortunately for buyers there are loads of good buys to be had right now. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a deal for you!

That seems high to me. We have a 1999 F250 V8 that we bought used about 3 years ago. We paid $10,400 then with lower mileage. I would walk away.

I returned it last night. They still weren't ready to make any concessions. I also found out that the total amount for sales tax and repairs was only $1500 which is not going to break the bank for them. There is no way they traded for more than $9K for that truck to be "losing money" on the deal.

So the sad part is that the whole reason I went in to the dealership was to get a free personal radio (one of those promotions to get you in the door) and they were all out so I didn't even get the radio! lol!

I will now try to stick to my original plan of making a "payment" to my savings account for a year to have a better truck down payment and to be able to buy a horse trailer outright next year around this time. And now that I've written that, they'll probably call me back this week and mess everything up.