The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chaffhaye alfalfa... anyone?

I was looking at Chaffhaye's website and was wondering if anyone uses it?

It looks like it could be an interesting dust free possibility for my heaves mare -- and my others probably wouldn't mind either!

http://www.chaffhaye.com/index.php?p...iption_alfalfa

Sounds like what Californians call All-in-One or Alf-mo. Great for putting weight on horses. Also great for mixing suppliments into since the molassass helps the powder to stick.

You guys have really good alf out there - I'm jealous! I lived in Los Angeles for 10 years and the alf there is nothing like what I get here.

That's way I'm looking for alf alternatives - Chaffhaye looked interesting as it reminds me a bit of a haylage... has some moisture which might help with the dreaded soaking aspect of haying my heaves girl in the winter.

Supposedly in Chaffhaye the molasses "ferments" (?) thus making a haylage.

We tried feeding it to a picky eater with lousy teeth but he wouldn't eat it. My horse, on the other hand, *loved it*. It stores forever, but after you open a bag it must be used within ten days. That's the only tricky part. (for us--we were giving it to just one horse as a supplement)
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Just found out a local feed store might soon be carrying Chaffhaye - supposedly both the alfalfa and the bermuda. We have been feeding soaked alfalfa cubes which can be problematic in the heat. For those of you that have fed the cubes and the chaffhaye - what are the differences? Is the chaffhaye richer? for lack of a better word. I don't understand the protein "as fed" and "dry" - "dry" seems to be higher protein?
    Any other thoughts/things you have noticed would love to know. TIA.

They have a website (pastureinabag.com or something like that) that would answer all your questions. In texture, you will notice right away that it is much more easily palatable. The website will give you weight equivalencies, but we didn't have a scale, so we had to find out how many 8 gallon buckets equaled a flake of alfalfa. I was all set to go to the sporting goods store and buy a fish scale to weigh it, but the horse is extremely picky and never took to it. A lot of people buy both kinds and mix it.

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Supposedly in Chaffhaye the molasses "ferments" (?) thus making a haylage.
    well not really....the molasses adds weight to a wet baled alfalfa...it's job is to keep any dust down and make the horse take to it a bit better...true haylage skips the molasses altogether

when we kept a feed store,we did'nt think enough of the Chaffhaye to even bother to carry it

as it's overpriced for it's use...and most of it's weight is either molasses or the water still in the haylage...which is great if you are wanting to feed "grass in a bag" ...not so good if you expect 20 pounds of it to do for your horse what 20 pounds of hay should...

in other words look at the moisture content on the bag of chaffhaye and then know that the moisture on dry hay is from 11-15%...the difference in those two numbers is the water** and molasses** you are paying for not an increase in the actual main product (hay)

**(inherent in the plant which their marketing division seems to call "natural plant juices"...juices ? really ??)
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Aug. 21, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Had it fed to my horses at a boarding facility. Reminded me of silage. They ate it, but didn't seem to devour it.

This is a product is commonly used in England for many different reasons. Some owners use it to stop horses bolting their feed its denser to chew so stops them rushing. Others use it for fat ponies so they get a scoop of chaffage and just a handful of grain so he thinks he's getting a full meal. There are so many different types of feed and chaffage. I really miss all the variety you just simply cant here in the USA. All mine were fed chaffage and loved it never used it here in the USA
    If you wish to see what man made take a drive. If you wish to see what god created saddle up your horse.

All very curious. Just trying to find a forage product for COPD/allergy horse - that also does not have soy. Makes sense about the moisture content and molasses adding to the weight. What I still don't understand is the "as fed" and "dry" differences ie nutrient values. Anyone?
    Also, last night re-reading an old Equus mag - there just happened to be a letter written by a gal whose horse had died from Botulism from a "hay in the bag" feed. Was in the US - don't know what product. Does Chaffhaye lend itself more readily to botulism?
    Do cubes????

After you open a bag, you need to use it within 10-14 days, or yes, it can develop botulism.

I have never heard of botulism from hay cubes. They are really dry.

A helmet saved my life.

I am considering feed alternatives for my spooky horse. I took him to a trainer today, who is a big proponent of Chaffhaye (pastureinabag.com).

Any new comments on it?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    I am considering feed alternatives for my spooky horse. I took him to a trainer today, who is a big proponent of Chaffhaye (pastureinabag.com).

Any new comments on it?
    not from me it's still a big ole bag full of water with some hay in it tap water is cheaper...

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

There was an issue with botulism in Los Angeles that horses caught from bits of mice in hay cubes. A number of horses died.

Hi!
    I was given some 1 lb samples for a rescue mare. She adores the stuff! I mix it into her grain to get the supps down her and slow her eating. I'd recommend getting a sample to see if your horse likes it, they seem to love or hate it. (My other geldings were turned off by the 'fermenty' or sour smell)
    ps.. she did not like the grass version, but really looks forward to the alfalfa version, even leaves dry alfalfa to eat the chaff first.
    I'd think for a COPD horse it would be a very good alternative, but you do need to use it up once it's opened.

Quote Originally Posted by lewin View Post
    There was an issue with botulism in Los Angeles that horses caught from bits of mice in hay cubes. A number of horses died.
    Hay cubes are not Chaffhaye.

A helmet saved my life.