The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

johnc Guest

Default Infrared??

I am a certified Thermographer and was wondering if you have ever had your horses looked at via Infrared Camera??

I am not certified for Equine scans (have pondered to get certification) but am curious to see if it is widely used at racetracks and training centers.

If you have had a scan done on your horse, what are your thoughts??

John

My vet used her infrared camera quite a bit when she first got it. She looked at all of my horses with it (as part of the learning curve) and I can definitely see where it could be a good tool to help pinpoint back/body soreness. She kind of fell out of the habit of using it after a while, but still pulls it out for suspected tendon/ligament issues, which I think is one of the big strengths of the technology.

I don't know that I would say it's "widely used" up here, but it's certainly not unheard of either.

My foal was lame - very, very lame. A customer of ours bought his camera over and spotted that the heat was in the foot. The fellow was not qualified in any way to diagnose problem.

Took horse to my vet and he confirmed abcess on his coffin bone. It does pinpoint the area...possibly saving several other expensive diagnostic procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    I am a certified Thermographer and was wondering if you have ever had your horses looked at via Infrared Camera??

I am not certified for Equine scans (have pondered to get certification) but am curious to see if it is widely used at racetracks and training centers.

If you have had a scan done on your horse, what are your thoughts??

John
    I think they will become more popular once people know about them & hear of other people using them. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people who do these professionally. The pricing I've seen is much cheaper than a lot of other "whole horse" diagnostic tools.

What part of the country are you in?

johnc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    I think they will become more popular once people know about them & hear of other people using them. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people who do these professionally. The pricing I've seen is much cheaper than a lot of other "whole horse" diagnostic tools.

What part of the country are you in?
    I live in Connecticut