The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bordeaux (United x Gribaldi)

Is anyone familiar with this young up and coming stallion? Anyone seen him in person? I am considering him for my Freestyle x Wolkenstein II mare, who needs a longer neck and better front legs. Could he be a good match?
    He comes from a super dam line, the same that produced Rubinstein, Rembrandt and Ahlerich.

My first question would be - how is the semen quality?

Of course, that question is important. I did hear that he is being frozen at Schockemohle's, not Van Uytert's (who are partners in him). That is probably a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Forte View Post
    Of course, that question is important. I did hear that he is being frozen at Schockemohle's, not Van Uytert's (who are partners in him). That is probably a good thing.
    That was my second question and I agree that is probably a good thing. This one might be a good option to get those bloodlines. FWIW, Gribaldi is not one to improve necks, so I would look at what United brings to the equation in that regard.

I liked him very much from what I could see from the Paul S. video but there was no canter footage. Has anybody seen any updated footage? Very interesting pedigree!

I have my Rubinstein I mare in foal to him. She comes out of the same damline as Olympic Bonfire. http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=158818

Another thing: in several threads I hear stories that semen frozen at van Uytert ( which is actually not true in the first place ) is not fertile.
    Strange enough we use frozen from Vivaldi also in Holland and mares come in foal without a problem.

I would like to receive information from people who used him and didn't get a pregnancy.

I need the batchnumber of the used straws and the number of straws used to cover with. Please send it with PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janderegelaar View Post
    I have my Rubinstein I mare in foal to him. She comes out of the same damline as Olympic Bonfire. http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=158818

Another thing: in several threads I hear stories that semen frozen at van Uytert ( which is actually not true in the first place ) is not fertile.
    Strange enough we use frozen from Vivaldi also in Holland and mares come in foal without a problem.

I would like to receive information from people who used him and didn't get a pregnancy.

I need the batchnumber of the used straws and the number of straws used to cover with. Please send it with PM.
    I have good friends who have had 0 luck with frozen from Vivaldi and other stallions through van Uytert. If you can help I am sure they would really appreciate it as these stallions are super and we would love to be able to get some reasonably reliable frozen from them. I really want Gribaldi next year.

Also, are they perhaps using a different freezing protocol for the US market? I believe the regs are different and that may require a different freezing process, but I am not 100% sure.

Is there a website or photo link for this stallion? My curiosity is up now!
    PennyG

Hi Jan,

I'm one of those folks that bought three doses of frozen Vivaldi... the difference being that I never even tried to use mine because of all the bad feed-back I got from people that I had tried to use it. I will call my vet tomorrow and try to get the information you asked for and after that you may want to get in touch with Carol Austin of Performance Sires to get the rest of the story. She was the unfortunate person to distribute the frozen Vivaldi semen in the US.

My problem is twofold - I talked with Willy Arts of DG Bar Ranch and he talked with van Uytert and afterwards was made to feel that he was an idiot for believing there was anything wrong with the semen!!! Never mind that Willy was responsible for over 20 doses of frozen Vivaldi that never resulted in a pregnancy. In addition, I contacted van Uytert and never had a single response from him. Not good customer service!

So now I'm stuck with three doses of frozen Vivaldi that I know will not result in pregnancies, yet have cost me about $3,000.00! Joop van Uytert can be very cavalier about this but once you figure out that over 30 doses were used in the United States with no results whatsoever and you add the veterinary costs to the cost of the semen, it amounts to highway robbery, especially after we've already been through the Krack C disaster -frozen semen from the very same place!

I think it's time for Joop to "fess up" to not fullfilling his end of the equation... namely shipping viable frozen semen! You can't tell me that all the vets in the US don't know what they're doing when they can't get mares pregnant with the crap that is being sent from Holland.

So yes, I'm ticked off that this happens and that it's not even the first time coming from the same stallion station. It just doesn't look good!

So what's your answer to this, Janderegelaar?

Best,
    Siegi
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

If in fact there are pregancies from frozen in Holland and none here, Jan D. do you know (or can you find out) if a different freezing protocol is used for the semen is exported? It would be very cool if there were a solution to the problem that could result in more top foals on the ground here : ).

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    If in fact there are pregancies from frozen in Holland and none here, Jan D. do you know (or can you find out) if a different freezing protocol is used for the semen is exported? It would be very cool if there were a solution to the problem that could result in more top foals on the ground here : ).
    The methode of freezing is not different for the US as I know from my own experience. The stallion has to do some other health tests and stay in quarantaine while freezing that's all.

So, what I need to know:

The number of straws used each insemination + the batchnumbers.