The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default can you change a TBs Name?

I have a friend who just purchased a beautiful TB, but, the registered name is horrible... seriously, she asked me NOT to say what it is.

but, she is wondering if you can change a registered name.

also, if so, is it like changing the name of a boat? bad luck or anything?

The short answer is normally no. The long answer is if they have started in a race and if they are granted the change and pay the fee they must race under both names 3x before it completely changes. There is a rule that allows name changes for a foal. Say I pick up Sour Pickle at auction as a yearling I could probably change his name to something sweeter with that exception. A foal's name may be changed at any time prior to starting in its first race.

Rule 6d:

D. A foal's name may be changed at any time prior to starting in its first race. Ordinarily, no name change will be permitted after a horse has started in its first race or has been used for breeding purposes. However, in the event a name must be changed after a horse has started in its first race, both the old and new names should be used until the horse has raced three times following the name change. The prescribed fee (see Fee Schedule) and the Certificate of Foal Registration must accompany any request to the Registry Office for a change of name.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Apparently if the horse is never raced or bred, a name change can happen at any time. It used to cost $200 a few years ago.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I think it's $100 dollars now I just looked it up a couple months ago when we purchased a named yearling and thought his name sucked. It's kinda growing on me a bit now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post
    I have a friend who just purchased a beautiful TB, but, the registered name is horrible... seriously, she asked me NOT to say what it is.

but, she is wondering if you can change a registered name.

also, if so, is it like changing the name of a boat? bad luck or anything?
    It wouldn't be "Hoof Hearted" woudl it?

The cost is $100 and believe it or not, it's rather easy to do. Submit online, send in the papers with the confirmation along with $100. 3 Weeks later you get your papers back.

Is there an age limit?

I have had my mare for a while - she's 15, never raced, never bred....I never liked her registered name much but assumed it was not changeable.

It is a bit late to change it at this stage, but she has a barn name and show name...if I could make one of them her registered name it might make life a bit easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    Is there an age limit?

I have had my mare for a while - she's 15, never raced, never bred....I never liked her registered name much but assumed it was not changeable.

It is a bit late to change it at this stage, but she has a barn name and show name...if I could make one of them her registered name it might make life a bit easier for me.
    Here is one that was changed in her teens when she started being used for breeding as my mom did not want her original name to appear on any papers - it was insulting.

http://tinyurl.com/Alazana

And her original name is truly gone from the records - it does not show up on Equineline.

I think the requirement is they cannot have raced or have any TB offspring.

Christa

Quote Originally Posted by DickHertz View Post
    It wouldn't be "Hoof Hearted" woudl it?
    he he - no - wouldnt change THAT name

thanks everyone !

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post
    Here is one that was changed in her teens when she started being used for breeding as my mom did not want her original name to appear on any papers - it was insulting.
    I almost bought a mare in foal to a stallion that I really liked, but one of the many things that stopped me was that her name was "Colored." Yes, she was dark bay/black.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.