The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter/Show barn in Central Pa area

Looking for suggestions on a solid hunter/show barn in the Harrisburg region. I have a new horse (hunter) and we need a hands on trainer and full service barn. Any suggestions?

www.lancasterhorse.com

Has a listing of barns in the Central PA area.

What part of the Harrisburg region - where will you be living? Many of the stables on the linked list are east of Harrisburg; if you'll be south or west, there are other possible stables, in addition to the ones on the list.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I will be located in downtown Harrisburg so anywhere within 25 minutes either direction would be good

hbrocks Guest

Good luck in finding a great barn...and let us know where you end up!

SukiJ Guest

Default Same question, but looking for barns near State College

Anyone know any really terrific hunter/jumper barns near State College, PA? I just moved there. Looking for a place to take lessons, possibly lease a horse and show...
    Thanks!

Jill Shull/Equi-comp located in Carlisle Springs. She goes to Ocala in the winter for a few weeks, Vermont and HITS in the summer and mostly other A-AA shows in the area. There is a very nice and supportive group of people in this barn. Mostly AA/AO riders and just a couple of teen riders.

Chris Gemmil/Woodberry Farm in York. Her barn shows locally thoughout the winter, also shows at the bigger shows in MD and VA throughout the year. Another group of very nice people there with a mix of adults and children.

Rick McGrath/Central Pennsylvania Equine Center out towards Middletown (I think). Fl in the winter and VT and HITS in the summer. I am not familiar with his clients.

There are several other good options in the area, it all depends on what your goals are. Please PM me if you want to know more about them.

Good luck with your search

As far as the best care and full service, I would look at Halcyon Farm in Dillsburg. Barb Kohr is really invested in her animals and your horse would receive the best care in the area. Her phone is 717-503-6622. I went there myself after my barn changed from full service to a coop and I have never been happier. Won't go anywhere else. I know all of the trainers that have previously mentioned (looked into all of them when the change happened at my barn) and the care is not the same anywhere else. PM me if you want more information.

highly reccomend jill schull and central pa equine for the rider looking to become a great show rider

There are quite a few nice barns in this area with different focuses. Please feel free to call me if you like and with more detail, I could make better recommendations. Our phone number is on our website.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

I don't know how close is close enough for you, but Harrisburg is also only about 45 minutes from Magic Rose . . .
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

One thing for sure, in Central PA there are always going to be many helpful opinions and options available!

Best of luck to you with your new horse and barn.

Quote Originally Posted by SukiJ View Post
    Anyone know any really terrific hunter/jumper barns near State College, PA? I just moved there. Looking for a place to take lessons, possibly lease a horse and show...
    Thanks!
    Try Eastwood Farm in Bellefont. Excellent care and instruction.
    West of nowhere