The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's a good score at a dressage sport horse breeding show?

I took my 2 year old BWP and he received a 75% in his 2 Yr old C/G class and a 75.9% in his BWP class. Is that good/average/very good/great? It's my first year doing the In-Hand thing....
    Enough with the drama!

Scores are always relative.... how did your horse place within his class and compared with the rest of the horses at the show? That's what tells you the real story.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

I consider 75% a "good" score. Siegi B is right though, it's all relative to how horses are scoring that day.

I showed my 5 month old pony weanling last month at her first DSHB show. She got 72.1% in her first class, and 75% in her second class. She won her second class by 10 points, and was fourth high score of the day against many Warmbloods. I was ecstatic! Especially since people were commenting that the scores were rather low at that show.

You should be proud of your boy though, 75% is good, especially first time out!
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

The scores are relative and different judges do score differently. I think a 75% score is very good. Bravo just scored 81.5% at the Shelly Siegle show in Santa Rosa, Ca. When he was a yearling he scored a 78.9% at Rancho Murietta and then 4 weeks later a 73% at LAEC (Los Angelos Equestrian Center). In all cases winning his class. So I think the scores can fluctuate greatly. A 75% is a very good score and obviously the judge liked your youngster.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

We had our homebred mare Able Spirit aka "Prissy" score 100% four times from AHS president Hermann Friedlaender in breed show classes!!!He never scored her less than that.
    Ever after she was known around the barn as "Prissy Perfect". She did go on to a very successful sport career with both my daughters, often receiving FEI high score awards, going to the NAYRC several times with them, and producing a licensed son and two fabulous daughters, so I would have to agree she was really a 100% horse.
    Last edited by not again; Aug. 17, 2009 at 02:15 PM.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Depends on the judge...
    some judges that is VERY high, some that is avg. & some that is low..

I'll just throw this out there - technically a 75% is between fairly good and good According to the rules
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

It very much depends on how tough the judge is,, We scored High Score Born In the USA filly/mare yesterday at Fair Hill,, with a 73.5%.. ussually the winner scores upper 70's to 80's
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

It's still subjective, and is only relative to that show with that judge on that day.

I was curious about this myself a few years ago, and loaded scores into Excel from across the country when results were posted. I saw championships awarded for an initial score from 65% all the way through 90%. Guess that's why in the year ends, they throw out highest and lowest scores. The more you go, the better picture you'll have.

FWIW, I think 75% sounds like a respectable score when taken out of context, but still it depends...

I had a yearling filly that won the Born in the USA with a 78.x one time in a large show, yet didn't make it out of 2nd ring. Go figure...
    Last edited by Tornado Run Farm; Aug. 17, 2009 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRoseFarm View Post
    It very much depends on how tough the judge is,, We scored High Score Born In the USA filly/mare yesterday at Fair Hill,, with a 73.5%.. ussually the winner scores upper 70's to 80's
    Yes, this is totally the case. Some judges are routinely VERY tough. But most judges seem to put the top placing horse in the high 70s low 80s, the 2-4th place horses in about the mid 70s and so on...

"We had our homebred mare Able Spirit aka "Prissy" score 100% four times from AHS president Hermann Friedlaender in breed show classes!!!He never scored her less than that."

Wow Not again..I have never known anything get 100% before.

A weaning colt we bred that showed at DAD received a 89.9% and I believe he was the 2nd highest score given that year. The first being 90% given to a mature stallion.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    We had our homebred mare Able Spirit aka "Prissy" score 100% four times from AHS president Hermann Friedlaender in breed show classes!!!He never scored her less than that.
    Ever after she was known around the barn as "Prissy Perfect". She did go on to a very successful sport career with both my daughters, often receiving FEI high score awards, going to the NAYRC several times with them, and producing a licensed son and two fabulous daughters, so I would have to agree she was really a 100% horse.
    Wow....when was this ?

Who's the sire of the licensed son ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

East coast vs. West coast seems to vary by about 10 points too.

My stallion won Res Ch. Mature horse with a 74.something... mare who won Ch was only ahead of him by a point or two--and was TO DIE FOR. Show was pretty large for norther NE.

I was fairly dissapointed with the scores (before the ch. class ) having heard mostly West coast scores in the high 80's. But we were so close to the highest scores of the day, by the end of the day a 74.something was fabulous, you know?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Personally I don't look at the scores so much but at WHO judged/scored. :-)

As an avg, a 75% is not shabby and should be slightly above the avg, but with certain judges, a 75 is very low, and for some that is exteremly high.

As an example (and not commenting on if this their scoring is right or wrong, just two known opposite ends of the spectrum):

Dietrich Feldenburger (sp?) is normally a low scoring judge so a 75 from him is FANTASTIC - if you have above that you have really arrived LOL.

General Burton though is KNOWN to give high scores and to get in the upper 70's or even 80's with him is common. Heck I was at a show and I think that almost every horse on the property got in the 9's or very close to for conformation....

What is interesting is the "better" horses are STILL the top horses at the shows. What I mean is that if I have Polly and Polly is a legit #1 horse at the show, both of the above judges will prob place her #1 but with drastically different scores.

This is why you have "point chasers" - and I admit to have done it myself. I will pick the shows I go to based on locality as well as which judge. If I have the option of a high scoring judge vs a judge that is low scoring and they are both within driving distance I will go to the high judge. I do know people that will travel the nation looking for the scores though.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!