The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I caught you!! UPDATE - Video on post #15

I went out to the barn this evening and finally figured out why this particular tree was leaning into the fence line. Our perchie had lined himself up and backed up and onto the poor defenseless tree. He was vigorously scratching some unreachable itch. The sapling was actually disappearing into his ginormous rear end as he rocked back and forth with the tree sandwiched between his cheeks.

What are some interesting ways your horses have figured out how to reach just the right spot?
    Last edited by Weighaton; Sep. 16, 2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: video added

We found some young trees for $10 or so and put them out in the pasture. Not a huge investment so we weren't in a big hurry to put up protective fence around them.

One of them started looking significantly more ragged than the rest, and one day I saw Domino the Ancient Appaloosa walk toward it... and keep walking. He pushed it over, and walked so that it drug along his belly and eventually popped out between his hind legs. Poor tree!

--
    Wendy
    http://pbase.com/wendysmoak/patrick

There were some bushes in a field where we boarded a long time ago. Therer were a few horses that would go and straddle the bushes and just rock back and forth to rub their bellies. It was quite a sight to see.

When we had the really hot weather here the horses were dripping with sweat, so my husband went down to the scrap yard and picked up a furnace fan and wired it into the window of one of the stalls. Our yearling stood in front of it, feet straddled, with the blast passing under his belly and making his tail stream out behind him. He sure looked pleased with this arangement. Kept the flies at bay, too.

Default Hitting the spot.....

1. Stallion tethered waiting his turn at the farrier and next to a small ride on tractor that had it's engine running. Horse mounts the bonnet of the tractor and was standing with a look of sheer ecstacy!
    2. Last summer I was on the phone and glanced out of the living room window to see a horse standing with it's front legs right out and rocking. I cut my caller off quickly with a "sorry got to go, I think I've a problem with a horse". I was thinking colic or laminitis! So ran out and jumped the fence and across the field . As I approached at speed the horse jumped and tried to make off and I realised the horse was standing over the top of a road cone with his penis in a hole at the top of the cone!

Well you did ask!

Default OMG!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    1. Stallion tethered waiting his turn at the farrier and next to a small ride on tractor that had it's engine running. Horse mounts the bonnet of the tractor and was standing with a look of sheer ecstacy!
    2. Last summer I was on the phone and glanced out of the living room window to see a horse standing with it's front legs right out and rocking. I cut my caller off quickly with a "sorry got to go, I think I've a problem with a horse". I was thinking colic or laminitis! So ran out and jumped the fence and across the field . As I approached at speed the horse jumped and tried to make off and I realised the horse was standing over the top of a road cone with his penis in a hole at the top of the cone!

Well you did ask!
    This is just too hilarious! I have an image in my head of the horse getting "stuck" with the cone.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWinston View Post
    This is just too hilarious! I have an image in my head of the horse getting "stuck" with the cone.
    That's precisely what happened. The cone went with him for a while!

OK I have to tell you about one horse we had boarded here and the mini-van.

One day hubby and I were working on putting up a new fence line, we had the mini-van with the small flat bed trailer attached to it with the fence posts, tools, etc and were in the pasture working.

Well Rabbit and his buddy came over wanting to help (Rabbit always wants to help by grabbing what ever you have and running away with it) so we kept shooing him off. Well we heard a deep "huh huh hu hu" and looked around. Well, Rabbit has a face only his mama could love, and those of us that knew him. He had a FLAT forehead, don't know if he has an accident when he was younger or what, a LONG slopping over-Roman nose and googling eyes. Well he was looking at our mini-vans rear side windows, we thought he was trying to see what was INSIDE the van but we realized the tinted windows and the waning sunlight the windows were like mirrors and he had his head twisted and was turning his body this way and that and you could tell he was checking himself out.

Hubby and I stopped what we were doing and just watched and laughed, it was too cute! He had his face smashed almost against the window and was turning his body sideways and back. Then he "dropped" and he stepped back from the window and got low in the backend and started getting lighter in the front end and he was looking up to this side and that side and jumping around on his front feet, hubby and I realized what was happening at the same time and both shouted "NOOOOOO!" and went running towards him to run him off, he was trying to figure out how to MOUNT THE MINI-VAN!! After we ran him off hubby and I was doubled over laughing!! I am SO glad he was my witness or no one would ever believe me.

If anyone ever comes over to meet us I have to give you a demo of how he was looking at himself, LOL!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Default That's hysterical!

Char, I started chuckling and worked up to LOL! That is a hilarious visual you described very well. Where's the bloody camera when you need it??

Well you did ask!

hahah this is so funny. My stallion Printz would do the same thing. The first time I saw it, I was on the phone screaming for the vet only to realize, my guys was just rubbing all the right spots. did I ever feel stupid.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Mimi has a cute video of her boy....Mimi, Where Are You???

This is my favorite thread this week.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

1. Last summer I was on the phone and glanced out of the living room window to see a horse standing with it's front legs right out and rocking. I cut my caller off quickly with a "sorry got to go, I think I've a problem with a horse". I was thinking colic or laminitis! So ran out and jumped the fence and across the field . As I approached at speed the horse jumped and tried to make off and I realised the horse was standing over the top of a road cone with his penis in a hole at the top of the cone!
    Well you did ask!
    OMG!!! I am going to be in SUCH trouble when everyone comes out into the office to find out why I just SHRIEKED with laughter - especially with the added visual of the cone going with him when he moved away!!!!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I must admit that I have never seen anything quite like some of these posts!

My mare has managed to rub the lower branches off a young stray oak tree that has been growing on the fenceline with her butt. My youngest gelding likes to scratch his belly on his hind foot, by laying down and rocking back and forth. None of my other horses had ever done that, so the first time he did it, I was sure that he had broken a leg and couldn't get up.

My best friend had a young horse that she called "a walking vet bill". One day he was in a paddock with pine trees on one side, and we could not see him, but we did see the tree branches swaying back and forth. He was in the trees scratching his back with the branches. He actually rubbed the skin off his back in spots!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Default Here is the video

http://pets.webshots.com/video/30775...UKt?vhost=pets

You can see a telephone poll in the video. Shortly, after this was taken I noticed the pole leaning waaaay over. Apparently, he has moved onto bigger and better things.