The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best place to find blankets right now for good price?

We just bought a 5y/o TB. He's gonna need a wardrobe for the winter!

I think he'll end up with a wool or fleece sheet at some point soon, but he's definitely going to need a midweight turnout blanket.

Any ideas on the best place to find one? We're not sure how he is with his blankets yet, so we'd prefer to find one that is a good price and won't hurt us too much if we have to replace it soon!
    Any places having sales right now?

I know that Equestrian Collections has a reputation for being slow... but... I just ordered a heavy Pessoa turnout blanket from them. I figured that given their reputation, if I ordered a winter blanket in July I might receive it by winter.

I also used a coupon code for it that I found online. The blanket was at my door in three days.

They have other Pessoa blankets on closeout as well.

Earlier this summer there were some nice ones in the Dover catalog (the Riders brand). They don't break the bank, and hold up quite nicely too. The sizes look pretty limited now though.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

I think that Schneiders at www.sstack.com offers high quality blankets at the best price.
    They have a good choice of styles and sizes.

Always check on eBay for good deals on new blankets.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

You are heading into when people are starting to buy for blanket season, so buy quick while there are some good deals still around. I have had good luck with the fit and durability of the Dover's Riders brand. I had bought a used Weatherbeeta from a barn mate for my older WB mare and ended up replacing it mid-winter (got a great deal!) with a Dover Rider, because it just didn't fit her right and was binding across her shoulders horribly. The Dover blanket fit great and looked spectacular! She is grey(white) and it is navy and green plaid. She is usually pretty easy on blankets. Her last Dover Rider lasted many winters, until the filling just finally got too compacted. Her daughter, however, is a clothing destroyer. We just can't have nice things! I try to find her stuff at low prices, so I don't get too upset when something rips. I just got her a new sheet and blanket from Schneider's. They have some great deals going on right now. Her very first blanket, as a yearling, was a Schneider's. I knew it would only last one winter, before she outgrew it, no matter what shape it was in. THAT one survived the winter well and I sold it on eBay the next fall for nearly what I paid for it!

Quote Originally Posted by capricorn View Post
    I think that Schneiders at www.sstack.com offers high quality blankets at the best price.
    They have a good choice of styles and sizes.
    Schneiders makes great blankets. Also check eBay - I got a heavy winter blanket that's a Baker knockoff for about $25 two weeks ago. It looks very sturdy.

Ebay there is a seller Easytoremember... good quality at smashing prices! They get us through a Canadian Winter.. if you know what I mean

www.EquestrianCollections.com has some closeouts right now, AND free shipping until Midnight tonight, code = ShipFreeHW

I am eyeing a Rambo . . .
    Click here before you buy.

victorycanter.com

Still $10 under for a rambo off equestriancollections sale, and free shipping over $50. They have some nice blankets!

Has anyone bought any from Jeffers Equine? They have a few that look decent. They're only about 50-60$. Until we know how he is on blankets we aren't looking to spend a fortune on one.

I've never bought a blanket from Jeffers but if you're on a budget and need durable you really can't beat Schneiders.
    Click here before you buy.

Hm- worth checking out. Thanks for the tip DW.

Love my blanket from Schneider's... Just wish their customer service was a little better. Had to chase them down and make my own product suggestion when my neck cover was backordered -- and no one bothered to tell me. Got a very nice blanket (in my colors, gasp!) for under $100, though.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    They're not just for racing!
    nowthatsatrot.blogspot.com