My TB (yes I know this is key,lol) broke out in hives last week. I thought it was from a coat conditioner.. then the new fly spray. But they are not going away. I know about human rashes, but horses rashes are new to me. Today I hosed him off, and did not apply and conditioners or fly spray.. in the hopes it will help.
1- should I call the vet out, or give it a few more days? I tend to wait on things..but don't want my poor boy unhappy.
2- if I am not(fly) spraying him, how can I keep the flies off him? He is such a TB! LOL!
3- could he be allergic to his shavings or feed?
Sometimes hives are a result of something the horse has ingested, other times by something to which they have come in contact.
This time of year, there are plenty of weed they can either roll in or ingest.
But they do need to be handled so the bumps don't "wall off" and become permanent.
First thing I would do is just rinse off your horses coat with cool water..don't shampoo or scrub. That can only make the itchies and swellings worse. I do this first to see if perhaps it is a skin contact issue and get the offender off the coat.
If it doesn't go away, then yes, it may be systemic and if they are really stubborn and prevalent, dex is usually prescribed.
Sometimes they are seasonal and they can vary with the flora on a farm depending upon drought and other factors.
My yearling TBx had persistant hives, and I finally bit the bullet and paid for allergy testing. Turns out she has a list of 30 things, and ragweed is one of them. The ingredient pyrethryn (sp?) in flyspray is derived from a plant in the same family.....so no more of that. About being allergic to feed or shavings, sadly the answer is yes. Lola is allergic to timothy, orchard grass, bluegrass, molasses, oats, cedar shavings, and a whole bunch of things she has never even been near.
We're starting the de-sensitization shots....given her age, it didn't make sense to rely on Pred or Dex to treat the reactions for the rest of her life.
My pony always gets a hivey rash on the side she sleeps on if I put in pelleted bedding in her stall...Miss Sensitive! (Even if I mist them and they are broken up). So I have to stick to the brown paper bagged shavings. They go away on their own, although sometimes I will give her a tablespoon on Milk Thistle Seeds to help push out any toxins. I do this when I worm her as well (for a few days).
You can sponge him down with water with witch hazel added to it. That should help them go down. It might take a couple of days but you should see them going away. You can also give some azium and that will knock them right out.