The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default lamp for stall?

In our boarding barn our leased horse was moved to a dark interior stall, so we need to put up a light of some sort, the outlet is on the outside so I have some place to hang something...it's so hot I was thinking something LED maybe that won't make as much heat? Though come winter something more incandescent that adds heat would be a bonus. Any suggestion in both categories? My daughter's not very old so the dark stall makes her nervous - something that makes a fairly wide light might be a good idea.

The barn stall here have fluorescent shop lights above the doors out of reach of the horses. Cool & flood the stall with light. Not very expensive, either.

My mare with uveitis is completely blind at night. We installed a light with a glass jar and cage around it (can get them at Tractor Supply) and use an energy efficient bulb-throws plenty of light, safe and only costs about $2.00/month in electricity to have it on dusk 'til dawn.

Better check with BO first. Folks adding electric items to the circuits of barn can cause BIG problems. You say you need a light, but there may only be ONE circuit running into that part of the barn. An extra light can cause an overload, electrical problems to the whole system, maybe overheating, if it is an older barn.

Extra items that run on electric, add to the cost of monthly electric bill, cost of running the barn.

Better check first, get the OK before jumping in and causing bad feelings. Personally, I would be REAL unhappy with people modifying things in MY barn.

Better check first, get the OK before jumping in and causing bad feelings. Personally, I would be REAL unhappy with people modifying things in MY barn.
    Excellent point. goodhors is absolutely right. Talk to the BO first.

They are already expecting me to supply one and they pointed out examples in the barn to show me how it's done. Animals, fire? I would surely not plug anything in without approval.

There are aisle lights but no stall lights...at some point in the distant past there were, the wiring is there and taped off. The boarders currently use portable lights attached to power strips that are nailed up outside the stall - like those round aluminum work spotlights. I'm sort of nervous about putting one in the stall...the ceiling seems somewhat low - though the caged ones would be sensible and the management would probably approve.