The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A dressage jacket that fits? Priceless.

Smokey and Ambrey would like to thank the venerable Coreene for providing the jacket and Mypaintwattie and Lewin for providing much needed moral support. The still pics look better than the score sheets, but Smokey has demonstrated that although indoor arenas at away shows cause much neck craning, they do not in fact bring on the end of the world.

And Ambrey proved to herself that she can, in fact, trailer her horse to another facility and actually be brave enough to GET ON. AND RIDE IN FRONT OF A JUDGE. Even when she knows certain aspects of the required ride have recently been proving difficult.

Moral of the story: We have lots to work on for next year But there will never be another "first away show ever" for either of us.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/P1000282.jpg

Oh, jolly well done!

Showing is a little like sex. You're full of nerves the first time, suffer from performance anxiety, probably find it a little anti-climactic while you're in the ring, unless you're one of the lucky ones to have an orgasmic show, but are filled with the notion, afterwards, that you have now, somehow, crossed the Rubicon into a previously unknown world.

And, as with sex, the more you work at it, the better you get! And, as with sex, you learn to pick your partners carefully, for ultimate performance.

Sorry...I could go on, but I've just realised that this post is veering WAY off-topic!

Actually, I don't quite remember my time in the arena- except that during the second test, there was a little dog barking and that's all I could think about!

(note to self- stop thinking about dogs during sex).

Congrats! Your horse looks adorable. (:

We are all very proud of you- job well done! Glad Sierra and I could be there!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Well, both you and your boy look. FAHB-U-LUS. DAHLINK, FAHB-BU-LUS.
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

Faaaaaaabulous braids. Who did them? And big props to you, you did absolutely everything you set out to achieve and looked smashing while doing it. As for the sex part, Kaeleer is 100% spot on!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

GORGEOUS photo! What a stunning horse, and you both look great!

It's funny how show goals change as we mature. These days when I bring a young'un out for the first time are the most *fun* because if we don't exit the ring before the 2nd salute, then we've accomplished my goal for the day. If we actually GET a score, well, that's a bonus. If the score is above 50, well, we have champagne!

I think showing is way more fun when it's about the journey, and the miles, vs. the scores and the ribbons. Not that scores and comments aren't valuable indicators of progress and correctness, but at the end of the day, I've been more proud of a couple of tests that never broke 60 but *accomplished my goals* eminently, than higher scores.

Huge kudos for getting out there. DOING it. It's more than I can say right now!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I think you look fantastic. And smokey is gorgeous! Well done!!!
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Faaaaaaabulous braids. Who did them? And big props to you, you did absolutely everything you set out to achieve and looked smashing while doing it. As for the sex part, Kaeleer is 100% spot on!
    Andrea came out at 7 am before work and did them- I was so grateful! Smokey was a champ for the whole process, except for the "schooling in the indoor warm-up arena, with stalls all around it and horses watching, while mom wears spurs" part.

Lewin took tons of gorgeous photos- I'm really grateful for that as well, because my husband had to go pick up my daughter at camp at my ride time and he's my photographer!

And my mom has a mental block against photo taking.

But now I realized I forgot my mom was on here- thank you Woodcat for being my groom, even if you did poop out before I did

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

I think showing is way more fun when it's about the journey, and the miles, vs. the scores and the ribbons. Not that scores and comments aren't valuable indicators of progress and correctness, but at the end of the day, I've been more proud of a couple of tests that never broke 60 but *accomplished my goals* eminently, than higher scores.
    Yep, I had to go into it that way because I knew my nerves were going to be such an issue for my first show. As Lewin said in a pm- "Just think, the next show your nerves will be better and you'll actually ride!"

I told my trainer that it really wasn't my fault, because I bought this lovely now mega-vented helmet and I'm pretty sure all of my actual skills floated out the vents during the test

But I managed to walk, trot, and canter in some basic semblence of a pattern that resembled what I was supposed to be donig. Sort of

Knowing how much courage it took me just to watch, I can't image the courage it took for her to ride.
    I couldn't be more proud.
    Literature is mostly about having sex and not much about having children. Life is the other way round.
    David Lodge

Ambrey did great. What she failed to mention is that Smokey was scooting and running into all his canter transitions in the warmup. So Ambres nervousness in the ring was understandable. It is always hard when the warm-up is not going well and now your nerves are really fired up. But she went in anyways and showed that she can do it.

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures. It was all the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by woodcat View Post
    Knowing how much courage it took me just to watch, I can't image the courage it took for her to ride.
    I couldn't be more proud.
    It didn't take courage, it took bull-headed determination and a whole lot of self-deception

"bull-headed determination and a whole lot of self-deception"
    I think that's the definition of courage.
    Literature is mostly about having sex and not much about having children. Life is the other way round.
    David Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by lewin View Post

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures. It was all the camera.
    Yeah, right Cameras don't design composition- the photo I posted in the OP was really beautiful!

Default Exhibitionist, anyone?

Kaeleer, extremely funny analogy! I was almost blushing with embarrassment reading that!

So does this mean that if I like to show and get a high from it - don't get nervous or anxious, but actually enjoy it - that I am an EXHIBITIONIST? And with both activities, practice does make perfect!

Ambrey, congrats on your first show! You horse is gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    It didn't take courage, it took bull-headed determination and a whole lot of self-deception

I remember reading something about courage once - the boy said "I wasn't brave/courageous, I was scared". The respons was "Courage isn't never being scared. Its being scared and doing it anyway, that's brave".

Congratulations on your push forward and your accomplishments. Its not easy to give yourself these goals and rise to the challenge. Doing so seems to give us more courage though, eh? Good stuff.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Your horse is gorgeous! Congratulations on having a successful day.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Congratulations! What a lovely photo.