The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best place to buy long lines?

Need to start ground driving my pony and need some long lines. Dover has a set that look like what I want, but I wonder if there are other/better sources for this item?
    Thanks!
    If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them. --Isaac Asimov

LaSalle or Fennells are two places I shop for long lines -Terry Bennett's Tack also -- all three have all the long lining equipment you might need - cotton web as well as leather long lines and the nylon with pulleys combination with leather. Google their home web sites - sorry I don't know how to add attachments. If that does not work pm me and I will find thier web-----addresses .
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I have cotton web with pulleys- I hate them. They get tangled up way too easily, and they're lightweight so it make it harder to flip a line where I want it.

I recently made a pair made out of mountain climbing rope (Thanks to whichever CoTHer suggested Craigslist for used rope!). So far I really like them, though I may have to cut a little length off to suit me. They run through surcingle rings nicely, they feel good in my hands, and they don't tangle easily. The weight took a little bit of getting used to, and I can't just loop them under the backstrap when I'm done but I'm pleased. You can get ready-made MCR long lines from www.sstack.com.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    I have cotton web with pulleys- I hate them. They get tangled up way too easily, and they're lightweight so it make it harder to flip a line where I want it.

I recently made a pair made out of mountain climbing rope (Thanks to whichever CoTHer suggested Craigslist for used rope!). So far I really like them, though I may have to cut a little length off to suit me. They run through surcingle rings nicely, they feel good in my hands, and they don't tangle easily. The weight took a little bit of getting used to, and I can't just loop them under the backstrap when I'm done but I'm pleased. You can get ready-made MCR long lines from www.sstack.com.
    Ditto. But I made mine with a thinner nylon rope that I could splice with the snaps and cut to any length that I wanted.... I LOFF them!

Thanks for all the ideas! I had the lightweight ones before and agrre that they are too hard to flip. It's been awhile since I needed long lines, so your suggestions are very helpful. Off to check them out.
    If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them. --Isaac Asimov

I love my leather long lines that are custom ~made - "spaghetti" width leather and all leather - slide on some brass ring snaps and they become the pulley type - EASILY converted -- plain long lines or pulley long lines ~~~ wonderful for ponies!!! For the horses I use my combination nylon pulley at front end and then 1 inch width leather lines. The leather long lines are easier to hold on to and you don't always need gloves. IMHO
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I have these and really like them, along with the very light weight carbon fibre longe whip. My carpal tunnel acts up when I use a "regular" weight longe whip for more than a few minutes.

http://www.claymaier.com/supply-longreins.php
    Icelandics - Tolt-ally wonderful!

Thumbs up Custom Tack

http://www.custom-tack.com/

I would recommend the driving reins. I bought these a few years ago when my horse was 2.5 and I started long lining. They are perfect for fitting through o-rings and nice on the hand, not to hard or slippery and not to rough should anyone get a little excited! They also serve second duty as longe line and I have used them on more than one occasion as an extra long lead line when we go hand grazing (they come apart in the center).

Further more, I also bought the ReBalanceā„¢ Sliding Side Reins and think these are the best ever! So much more adjustable and quick too when you're longing. I would never even consider the old fashioned leather ones after these.

Haha okay rave over - good luck!