The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,640

    Default Dressage coat woe. Is Arista out of business?

    Hi all.. I'm still in the long and painful process of finding a light weight dressage coat that at least fit me OK... I'm short with even shorter waist, plus small torso, so just about everything that fit my hip is very baggy in my upper torso.... who know finding a piece of garment is like pulling a tooth...

    Anyway, my plan was to go to a tack shop, try all the coats they have, and go from there. So, I went to Horse Of Course. Anything like Pikeur is out. They are built for people with longer more graceful torso I guess, not someone sqatty like me. The Eurofit is very cute. It's too heavy and baggy at the torso but everything else is good so it is OK if I can order something lighter, but then the tack shop told me those people in Germany are in "vacation"? so it will be another 8 to 10 weeks to get it in.

    Then, I thought the Arista modern dressage coat looks cute on cateloge so I asked them to order one for me.. Except, they delivered this shocking news that Arista was out of business



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    15,466



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,640

    Default

    Equibrit,

    Thanks. Can't believe Arista is out of business... Don't understand why the folk at the tack shop told me that either... Weird.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 6, 2005
    Location
    The Big Mitt
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    I was told that the owners/designers were retiring and not selling the business. The are supposed to be closing down. So maybe that's what the store owners were thinking.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,640

    Default

    I see.. Too bad they seem to have some really nice stuff. Do you know whether someone will continue the business once the owners retire?



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2007
    Location
    Beyond the pale.
    Posts
    2,957

    Default

    They have had the business up for sale for over 2 years and no takers, so she is retiring. A great loss.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2005
    Location
    in the saddle
    Posts
    4,149

    Default

    Wow, it is a great loss. I have a light modern Arista jacket and it's fantastic! Sleeves are way too long, but almost all the sleeves are way too long for my arms. Solution: alternation!

    To OP: consider taking your jacket to alternations, they can do wonders with stuff. They can take in some amazing amount of fabric in for $25.00!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,640

    Default

    $25 to alter? Wow who say Oklahoma has lower cost of living? The last time I got my hunt coat altered, it was whooping $80 I was told because the way the dressage coat is built, it will cost me even more. I even thought about custom made one but evidently nobody around here make custom coat any more So I guess I will have no choice but getting a baggy one and have it altered...



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2005
    Location
    in the saddle
    Posts
    4,149

    Default

    if you will buy an Arista modern light coat - it has no lining = less to alter



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug. 11, 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    3,882

    Default

    Not surprised. I ordered a shirt from a tack shop to go with a vest I had bought at a show, and after 6 months, I stopped even getting updates from the tack shop, so had to go through the hassle of getting the charge removed from my balance. Its a shame, they designed some georgeous stuff.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2001
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    2,226

    Default

    Wow, that really is sad :-( I bought a lot of their stuff at the World Cup and still had a long wish list. The fit was awesome and they had some very cool stuff that no-one else is offering.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb. 21, 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Try this:

    http://www.shopatron.com/index/1130.0.17292.0.0.0.0

    I had some communication with Sherrie less than a month ago and she told me they were doing another run of the dressage coat.

    Also, http://www.inthestirrup.com/onlinestore/ carries Arista stuff.

    It is a bummer that no one bought them out and eventually there will be no more Arista, but there does seem to be some stock still available. I have the Modern Dressage coat and LOVE it. I believe they make a short/petite size as well.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 11, 2004
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Does anyone have the owner's contact info they can PM me?

    Nevermind....found it!
    Last edited by Tiligsmom; Aug. 15, 2009 at 08:26 PM.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2001
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    But...they Can't retire/close down...I love their breeches...



  15. #15

    Default

    I mentioned these guys on the Pikeur thread, but www.delfinasaddlery.com. They make custom coats to your measurements. My friend has one and it is to die for! They don't have short dressage coats listed right now, but I emailed them and they say they are going to be putting up pictures this week, along with button samples and fabric samples. Plus, they are cheaper than the "off the rack" prices.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2006
    Location
    The not-so-frozen North
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    Just a note if you are indeed looking to go the custom route...

    I don't know where you are in Oklahoma, quite, but if you are anywhere near Oklahoma City, try visiting the OKC Fairgrounds when one of the big breed show World Championships is in town. There are numerous custom coat/suit makers who attend the show and will take measurements for you, etc and build you a coat. You can pick out fabric and add all the little details you like. I go down for the Morgan Grand National and there are several custom riding apparel makers down for the duration of the show (which this year is Oct 10-17) - Marsha de Arriaga (I have a saddle suit made by her; she is excellent for busty, short waisted folk like myself), and Becker Bros are also there. Arabian Nationals is in Tulsa in late September and I would bet that they, too, have custom garment makers who attend the show. I believe the QHs have something at OKC and would be completely unsurprised if custom coat makers showed up. If you Google the OKC Fairgrounds and look at the shows, then Google the shows, usually you can find a representation of the vendors that will be there.

    (I highly recommend coming during the Morgans... great show to watch... we have dressage classes too!)



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony View Post
    I mentioned these guys on the Pikeur thread, but www.delfinasaddlery.com. They make custom coats to your measurements. My friend has one and it is to die for! They don't have short dressage coats listed right now, but I emailed them and they say they are going to be putting up pictures this week, along with button samples and fabric samples. Plus, they are cheaper than the "off the rack" prices.
    What what what? I just placed an order yesterday before seeing your post



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Across Sicily View Post
    Just a note if you are indeed looking to go the custom route...

    I don't know where you are in Oklahoma, quite, but if you are anywhere near Oklahoma City, try visiting the OKC Fairgrounds when one of the big breed show World Championships is in town. There are numerous custom coat/suit makers who attend the show and will take measurements for you, etc and build you a coat. You can pick out fabric and add all the little details you like. I go down for the Morgan Grand National and there are several custom riding apparel makers down for the duration of the show (which this year is Oct 10-17) - Marsha de Arriaga (I have a saddle suit made by her; she is excellent for busty, short waisted folk like myself), and Becker Bros are also there. Arabian Nationals is in Tulsa in late September and I would bet that they, too, have custom garment makers who attend the show. I believe the QHs have something at OKC and would be completely unsurprised if custom coat makers showed up. If you Google the OKC Fairgrounds and look at the shows, then Google the shows, usually you can find a representation of the vendors that will be there.

    (I highly recommend coming during the Morgans... great show to watch... we have dressage classes too!)
    Hey Across Sicily, we are definitely going to Morgan Grand National!!! In fact we are showing T2~4 and Hunter Pleasure classes. I don't ride any of those saddle seat classes (those horses look just a tab too hot for me hehehe) but I love to watch them (and admire how brave some folks are). Oh roadster to bike is one of my all time favorites. I just wish they had a bigger arena for it. Were you there last year? My pony was the chestnut carrying the American flag (the rider was not me though).

    I placed my order for the dressage coat but maybe, just maybe, I can get some really cute hunt coat at the show. Ummm I need to contrive a must-have reason...



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan. 22, 2003
    Location
    Home of "The Office", PA
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    If you are looking for a lightweight and cool coat. Try looking at the Romfh coats. The designer lives in sunny southern CA so she knows heat. It's all stretchy and and has a mesh lining. The best part is, if it gets dirty, you can just wipe it clean!

    I plan on getting one of these for the next show season. I was planning on getting it for this one, but just didn't make it to any shows so I figured I would hold off a year on the coat purchase.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2006
    Location
    The not-so-frozen North
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Hey Across Sicily, we are definitely going to Morgan Grand National!!! In fact we are showing T2~4 and Hunter Pleasure classes. I don't ride any of those saddle seat classes (those horses look just a tab too hot for me hehehe) but I love to watch them (and admire how brave some folks are). Oh roadster to bike is one of my all time favorites. I just wish they had a bigger arena for it. Were you there last year? My pony was the chestnut carrying the American flag (the rider was not me though).

    I placed my order for the dressage coat but maybe, just maybe, I can get some really cute hunt coat at the show. Ummm I need to contrive a must-have reason...
    OMG a Morgan person on here that shows!!! My life is complete.

    Which hunter classes are you showing in? Wonder if we'll face off! If not me then someone in my barn - we have an entry in just about every hunter class minus Jr Exhibitor, I think! I'm showing my hunter gelding in Amateur and Youth, and a Classic Pleasure gelding in the Open and Ladies. My barn does the saddleseat and I LOVE it - teehee. Roadster to Bike is insane. I love to watch that class too!

    I was there last year - been there for many years - I spend probably 85% of my time back in the barns getting horses ready, etc and so I tend to miss any demos or award ceremonies... am just up when our horses go. So I doubt I saw your boy.



Similar Threads

  1. Dressage - Now Covered in Business Week
    By Mike Matson in forum Dressage
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul. 13, 2012, 12:08 PM
  2. Arista fit
    By Gracie in forum Dressage
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Dec. 4, 2009, 07:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •