The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question expired helmets v. helmets that don't fit very well

I cut off my thick, just past the shoulders hair in February. I hadn't ridden since January, up until about a month and a half ago. In my last jumping lesson, I had a bad distance to an oxer and my helmet slid down my forehead a bit. Not enough to cover my eyes, but still enough to irritate me.

I have an old GPA, that is just about 6 years old. I haven't tried it on in a while, but I'm assuming it will fit better than the CO I'm currently wearing.

So, between the two, which on would you wear?

(If it were financially possible, I would buy a new helmet, but unfortunately it will be quite some time before I'm able to do that.)

just buy a $30 troxel until you can afford another one. They're ugly, but they work. Also, you'll have a cheap back up once you do get a nicer one. I would not recommend an expired or ill fitting helmet to ride in, why risk your noggin?

If you can pad the CO to fit, and it is still within 3-5 years from manufacture date, use the CO. Otherwise it's off to the tackstore with you to buy a cheapie schooling helmet until you can afford something show-worthy. I grumblingly went the same route after a hair-cut and honestly couldn't be happier.

I'm a bit vain and refuse to rock a Troxel Sport, so I ended up with a Tipperary and actually really like it. It looks kinda goofy, but I'd rather have a goofy helmet to wear and horses to ride than a major head injury. It's way more comfortable than my IRH Elite. I might even wear it in the Jumpers at some local schooling shows.

Based on my most recent accident, SAFETY should ALWAYS come first, even if it's not the most attractive. I used to be horrified to think of riding in an unfashionable helmet, but once again, I learned safety is the bigger priority!

I second the cheap but effective interim helmet idea. There are certified helmets to fit all budgets available.