The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beginner Male Rider Attire? <dudes, chime in!>

My boyfriend has started taking lessons so that we can ride together. One snag is where to put all the manhood. i've suggested tighter fitting undergarments, but is there one in particular you dressage men would put at the top of your list?
    My dressage instructor recommended a dancer's belt.
    He wants to ride, but he's also a boxer kind of guy... what's his best bet here?
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

My friend went though this with her spouse, who was horrified by the men's (and I quote) "Perv Pants". :-)

They ended up with him wearing a supportive underwear and baseball pants instead of britches. Then all were happy.

Try boxer briefs and tell him how hot he looks in them. I've heard guys rave about polo pants too.
    You're lucky, my DH won't go near a horse.

Smile

My son's advice:

"It's not a matter of what underwear you use it, it's how you sit. One of the first things I learned was how to sit so I was still comfortable. Try sitting farther back in the saddle."

I wish to add, he is a boxer shorts guy. Yes, he rides dressage and foxhunted.

Talking men's relaxed fit breeches with pockets!

oh yeah, there are more relaxed fit men's breeches. my son likes the Ariat pro circuit. The Middleburg Tack exchange is a good place to look as is The old Habit in Marshall, Va. Hunt Country saddlery has a wide assortment of gentlemen's hunt breeches, but they are pricey. All 3 shops have websites, but it is best to try on. If it is a weekend afternoon there will be a lot a men in after hunting, which might help his ego, too.

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    My son's advice:

"It's not a matter of what underwear you use it, it's how you sit. One of the first things I learned was how to sit so I was still comfortable. Try sitting farther back in the saddle."

I wish to add, he is a boxer shorts guy. Yes, he rides dressage and foxhunted.

My son is the same way. He will only wear boxer shorts and doesn't have any problems.

I wear boxer briefs as I find they are the most supportive. But I think it is a really individual thing - some guys may be more comfortable in boxers. It's like asking a woman which bra is best - everyone is built differently.

Good luck!

I agree that sitting properly is a big help to avoid any "issues". I am a big fan of Under Armour... they have several styles of underwear (like boxers and boxer briefs) that range from having a loose to a compression fit. They're a tad pricey, but I've found they wear well... plus you can use them as "regular-ole'" underwear too

Boxer briefs are going to be our next venture.
    I'm also going to put him in a slightly flatter saddle with a wider twist to see if that helps. I had him riding in my endurance saddle which has memory foam, a narrow twist and it sits like my passier dressage saddle. i thought he'd appreciate the padding but it was quite the contrary.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

inconveniently far from Toronto, the centre of the universe

Default ah, men ...

My boyfriend hasn't made any complaints about his unmentionables yet, but then he's still quite methodically practising walking and steering. <G> My challenge is talking him out of his uber-baggy jeans as riding pants. Every pair of pants he owns has tons of extra fabric and I can't imagine I'll ever talk him into breeches of any description. Recently bought him a pair of half-chaps when Bahr Saddlery had suede ones in the bargain bin for $10 (!), but the jeans are so voluminous they're a struggle to tuck into the half-chaps, and balloon out on top like some bizarre caricature of 19th century peg-top jodhs. Only a matter of time before the leathers start pinching and grabbing, and he starts whining and gets turned off the whole business...

Wink He is in a different movie!

He is doing his version of gaucho pants

We used the velcro closure half chaps to stuff all that fabric. Eventually he will be game to experiment with different pants, but it takes a while and sometimes a weather change. If he hasn't noticed the seams yet, he won't see the need. You can have some bodyglide stashed nearby, for that eureka moment. Another way to keep him riding until he is hooked is to invest in a real sheepskin seat saver.

My sons and husband get lots of praise about how great they look on the horse. Keep that sugar close at hand! Make it as fun as possible. It is possible to hold hands and kiss on horseback... When he is safe to take out of the ring, the trial rides keep the wonder alive of seeing things he can't see normally. Of course, you don't want to get hit by a deer during mating season

i ride up to 5 horses a day, everyday and I HIGHLY recomend the UnderArmour breifs. They are a tad expensive yes, but DEFINITELY worth it. They last forever and work great.
    I also recomend MENS riding pants. Cavallo and Royal Highness fit men well. along with Henry Hall's.
    Hope that helps some
    "If you are too lazy to use your brain AND your body, it will not work." -Hans Biss

My DH has been riding two years in: a dressage saddle. With blue jeans. Half chaps (the suede kind). Motorcycle boots. And a a t-shirt. I forced him to wear the helmet, and he likes black gloves. So that makes quite a picture! That said, he has never complained about any soreness or rubbing or other problems.

To take a tangent:

Trail riding was the thing that made him a rider. After a couple of lead-line and lunge lessons, and some basic steering lessons, we started going out on walks around the farm, and by the end of that year we were going for miles and even did a hunter pace.

He will only do ring work (or lessons!) if it involves mounted games, drill team or jumping.

I found a pair of mens underwear that look like boxer briefs through Dover Saddlery. He loves them and won't ride without them! He'll be putting them to good use again soon as my new horse is a perfect mount for him!
    Grab mane and kick on!

My male riders wear compression shorts. They have no problems.