The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your dream horse job?

Sitting here at work at the vet clinic and thinking about what my dream horse job job would be..other than being able to ride and train horses 7 days a week, I would love to work at Dover or Smart Pak! I read the job listings at SP and drool..they are so perfect for me, I wish I could talk my husband into moving back to Boston! And how cool would it be to work in the Plaistow, NH Dover store? I seriously wish one would open a location in Orlando!

Okay, this will sound silly, but since you are asking about "dream" jobs -

My dream job is where I could earn the same amount I do as a Finance Exec, hotwalking TB's for 3 hours every morning.

Did it one summer and I loved that job - beautiful horses, the backstretch ambiance, oogling the expensive pedigrees of the babies I handled at night, AND getting an automatic super workout - I was never so fit, power walking for hours at a time! When my barn was done, I sat up on the viewing stands and admired & took pictures of gorgeous horses finishing their morning workouts.

Then home by 10, hearty breakfast (not worrying a bit about calories, lol) nice long nap, up with plenty of time to enjoy my own show horses - and no need to fit in time for the gym, lol.

Yep, that would be my dream job, if I could make the money doing it - anyone know where they are hiring hot walkers for six figures a year with full benefits? <grin>

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

That's the killer - giving up a good salary from a tolerable job to do something that you would love to do for a fraction of it.

My dream job would be to write more for equine publications, I like doing the research and interviews and writing the articles. Plus it is something you can do free lance on your own time, sometimes you get to go to big events to be the on site reporter.

I would supplement it by expanding my equine massage client base. It is so gratifying to help a horse feel better in an hour.

I wish I was talented enough to design and create western show outfits also. I always drool when I go shopping at the high end clothing shops.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Oops, did I kill this thread for you Lori? Sorry Maybe I should have stuck to reality

In reality my dream horse job would be exercise riding TB's - if I lived close enough to a track and were about 20 years younger Oh, and if I didn't have a mortgage to pay off.

MM, you reminded me of my artistic side too, another dream job for me would be doing portraits of horses.

Arcadien, going back to crunching numbers on spreadsheets, sigh...

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    MM, you reminded me of my artistic side too, another dream job for me would be doing portraits of horses.
    Ah, I too used to do oil painting, back before husband, kid, and only one horse boarded out. Have not picked up a brush in 14 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    Arcadien, going back to crunching numbers on spreadsheets, sigh...
    I'm off to a meeting, then working on the flowchart from hades!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I'd like to copy edit for an equine magazine. Barring that, I want to work for a Web-based tack shop. I'm one of those weird horse owners who researches everything before making any purchases, and I'll spend hours online trying to figure out where I can get three items in the sizes/colors I need for the best prices.

I have toyed with the idea of becoming an equine vet tech, but the whole "two more years of school only to earn less than what I earn now" thing is a little depressing.

But it would be nice to have a job I really liked.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

My dream job? It would be something that allows me to make enough money that I can be very picky about what horses I take in to train (no dangerous horses, no spoiled horses, only easy going talented perfect horsey), have 3 assistant trainers so I don't HAVE TO ride a horse if I don't fee like to, and have 5 farm hands to keep my farm beautiful and lawn manicured, oh and on top of that have time to go to horsy vacations.

Wait a minute. It's not a dream job. It's plain fantasy.

IF I had all the time in the world (because as nuts as this sounds, I don't want to give up my "day job!") - I would love to do even more with Special Horses. REALLY expand. Look into opportunities for our groups, organize meetings/clinics for rescue types (and also for equineartworks' Borrowed Freedom Farms), hawk our info at big shows/events, help out individual groups with Open Houses and etc.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    IF I had all the time in the world (because as nuts as this sounds, I don't want to give up my "day job!") - I would love to do even more with Special Horses. REALLY expand. Look into opportunities for our groups, organize meetings/clinics for rescue types (and also for equineartworks' Borrowed Freedom Farms), hawk our info at big shows/events, help out individual groups with Open Houses and etc.
    You are so awesome!

Mine is something that I started during college then got pushed aside the last few years since entering "the real world" and workforce (even though I really do love my job here in ye ole marketing dept). Equine videography. I did a few sales videos for people, edited someone's footage into a presentable sales dvd, even taped an afternoon bluegrass festival and made that into a 2-disc collection (that was a very monumental task that I would like very much to NOT repeat again). I've gone so far as to travel to CA for a 3 day video shooting and editing workshop, and buying a professional level camera (which forementioned huge bluegrass project essentially paid for), but there just doesn't seem to be much of a market for pro-level sales and promo videos around here in NE PA. Certainly not enough to allow me to quit my job and do that full-time.

BUT, if I had my dream job, that would be it!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Well I guess people will be throwing rotten tomatoes at me thanks to this post but I have my dream job. I run a retirement farm and spend my days with gorgeous, loving horses and ponies and I get paid for it! No rush hour traffic, no commuting, no dressing up, no office politics, etc. I owned a recruiting company for years and there isn't enough money to get me to go back to that life, I was so happy the day I sold that company. I don't even mind it (much) when it is pouring rain and I'm soaking wet.

I just took these pictures two mornings ago, these were my views that started off my day. I am so lucky and I know it!

http://tinypic.com/r/23sewd3/3

http://tinypic.com/r/2wgrb11/3

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit View Post
    Well I guess people will be throwing rotten tomatoes at me thanks to this post but I have my dream job. I run a retirement farm and spend my days with gorgeous, loving horses and ponies and I get paid for it! No rush hour traffic, no commuting, no dressing up, no office politics, etc. I owned a recruiting company for years and there isn't enough money to get me to go back to that life, I was so happy the day I sold that company. I don't even mind it (much) when it is pouring rain and I'm soaking wet.

I just took these pictures two mornings ago, these were my views that started off my day. I am so lucky and I know it!

nice!

Lovely place there.
    For me, I could not breathe in all that moisture and molds, so I have to stay here where it is dry.

I have had my dream job all my life, work with horses and a few other chores to make life more interesting.

I guess that some of us are so very lucky and most of us do know it.

Also, I think that some people can make the best out of any situation, not look at what is missing, but do what they need to do to make what they want happen and then be happy with the results, even if there may be shortcomings to them.

Gorgeous! Yep a little jealous but it's okay, at least you know you are lucky

You are SO lucky!

My dream job would be a trail guide - small groups only, in a place like Montana....with unbelievable scenery, trail horses and guests. I would live on site in a log cabin. Someday.....!!

Turning my tack fetish into gold. Seriously, I can't justify researching another piece of equipment, manufacturer or material, or buying any of it. But I could stock the best tack store ever and help people dig it. But I'm sure "shady tack pusher" has a dark side.

I do love my real job. I also love being a good ammy who can just about make up her own horses by herself. I'm glad I spent years working for pros, but without enough capital to build a really high-end business, I'm also really glad I'm not a pro. ("I told you so!"-- That would be my mom yelling at me if she knew I were typing this.)
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

To be independently wealthy, so I could fool around with whatever horsey project amused me at the moment, without ever having to care if the project ever made a single nickel.

I do plan to do this one day. I'm just dealing in corporate america until my school loans are paid off... then i'll have more freedom to take risks.

I want to have a rehab, retrain, retirement farm for TB's. I have it all laid out in my head, and how I want to build it, in phases. Giant pastures with TB's who are in their last years, unsound, etc. Smaller paddocks of horses on lay up. And a barn full of re-training projects to give them a second chance.

I dream about it all the time, and mark my words, it will happen. It may take me another 25 years, but I'll get there.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Default Dream Job

I've applied for it and will know in a matter of days if I'm selected. I won't reveal much at this point but can assert, without equivocation, that it is my absolute dream job. My daughter and I have fantasized about this very thing for years: she's the expert equestrian. I'm the idea, support person with lots of passion and enough experience to make me competent and more knowledge to recognize that learning is an on-going process. I am an eager student.

Even if I don't get the position, I will support the person who does because it is such a noble cause and deserves to be successful. It's not about me or the job, it's about the horses!