The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default No Training Three Day at FHP in November

From the press release on the USEA website yesterday:

Eventing at The Florida Horse Park has New Organizers
    Updated: 2009-08-12

Olympian Peter Gray and four-star eventer, Jon Holling, are taking the reins as the new organizers of the horse trials at the Florida Horse Park in Ocala, Florida.

"We are really excited about the future of eventing at the Horse Park and the greater Ocala area," said Holling.

The schedule will be the same as last year with an event this November, and events next January, February, and April. However, the November event will not be running the Training Three-Day or FEI divisions, only Intro through Preliminary. Keep an eye on the USEA Omnibus and the Florida Horse Park website for more information.

If you would like to get involved with events at the Florida Horse Park visit their website or email Jon Holling at info@hollingeventing.com.
    Volunteer Coordinator, Equiventures, LLC
    and the Sunshine State, Little Everglades,
    & Live Oak Combined Driving Events
    tincupeventing@gmail.com

Default Very Sad

I was very bummed. The training 3-day was the end of season goal for me this fall.

I am sure the lack of the FEI levels (this being a late November event) also effect the end of season goals for others.

I think it is a sensible move to NOT run FEI the first time you organize at a new location.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I would agree. KY is still running the T3D in October if anyone is looking for an alternative.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I am betting the KY T3DE will be a blast-- please go if you can!

I'm not saying that this was not the best or most logical decision for the new organizers. I am just saying that my plan for the end of November was to go down and do the training three day hitching a trailer ride with someone who was doing the 2*. Now we both have to change our plans around- totally not the end of the world or a big deal in the huge scheme of things but is is dissapointing when your "capstone" event disapears.

With Morven giving up too, it looks like the only Eastern one stars will be Kentucky and Bromont, right? Sigh. That's pretty darn far for most Area II and III riders.

Is Bromont running a two star, or is Fair Hill the only option for that without FHP?

Default was my end of season goal also......

maybe someone should contact the Wilsons at Pine Top...maybe they would be willing?

In addition to Pine Top, what about asking Poplar place if they would do a T3DE in conjunction with their November event. It isn't FEI, so they wouldn't have to deal with that and they are used to running the FEI events, so maybe would be doable, or maybe it would be feasible at ChattHills since they are running FEI. I'm sure it is yet another layer of organization difficulty, but maybe possible, though it is also really late in the game.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have several concerns about this press release. Firstly, I understand that there is actually no written contract between the FHP and Peter and Jon. The Executive Director's reticence to agree to anything in writing is well known. I have been told that he issued that press release to the USEA without the consent of the supposed event organizers. Secondly, there is no infrastructure to support activities of any kind at the Horse Park anymore. Yesterday was the final day of work for their facilities manager, who was the last full-time employee they had on the payroll, and who had been pressed to perform the functions of three people because they had fired their Director of Events and their Volunteer Coordinator (me) in May, their Financial Controller is contracting to work just one day a week, and their Director of Development left last week. The only person left on staff is one ground crew member and the Executive Director, whose salary is paid for by a private donor. There is no equipment to maintain the 500-acre facility because it was all stolen a couple of months ago. The fields are growing out of control, and there is one poor person to take care of it all with no way to mow or hay. The Park is still a million-plus dollars in debt, and the bankers are clamoring for their money. The license plate project that might have generated some income for the Park was killed in Senate sessions earlier this year, and we have now learned that another equestrian-themed license plate was approved instead and is now available at the Florida Registry offices.

Not only do I fear for the future of the T3D in Area III (indeed, in all of the eastern seaboard), but for the very future of eventing and other equestrian activities in Ocala.

WTF???
    Volunteer Coordinator, Equiventures, LLC
    and the Sunshine State, Little Everglades,
    & Live Oak Combined Driving Events
    tincupeventing@gmail.com

Default Be Patient

The Area 3 Chairperson (Juli) is working with other Area 3 organizers to develop alternatives for both the T3D and FEI divisions. Don't give up yet ---

I agree with fivecats - be patient and don't give up!

There are alot of organizers thinking about trying to join the Classic Event Series and offer a T3DE. The entries have actually been not too terrible for the Training 3DE, given that this is the first year that it has been recognized by the USEA and with the bad economy and all. I think we will see more T3DEs offered on the 2010 calendar. The Prelim level entries are scarce, but the whole idea is to build the Classic with a portion of the T3DE riders eventually moving up to do the Prelim Classic3DE.

Talk to the organizers in your area - voice your support for the Classic 3DE. If you can't enter, then volunteer for the 3DE portion of the event or donate some $$$. The Long Format Club is doing what it can to support the remaining events on the 2009 Classic Event Series calendar (see the website in my sig line) - consider donating through the LFC!

I agree, it's sad to see some of the 2009 Classic events were cancelled at both the P and T level - but there are some organizers that will support the Classic even if it isn't profitable immediately because they believe in the Classic and hope that entries will grow. We need to support these organizers!

Remember that the Long Format Club is trying to be a conduit between individuals (thats me and you!) and the organizers - both for funds and for ideas and communication. Please voice your opinions and ideas by contacting the LFC. There has already been interest in starting a blog by some riders prepping for a T3DE that will be featured on the LFC website - I would be happy to put ideas/opinions on our Education page (or maybe a new "whats happening" page)!

Scout (Sherry)
    Director, The Long Format Club, Inc.
    Supporting the USEA Classic Three-Day Event Series!
    www.longformatclub.com

What terrible shame to lose the Florida 3 Day. We had a blast there in April.
    I do understand however that the Florida Horse Park management is in a bit of shambles. It seems to be a regular soap opera with what is going on down there. My 2 cents worth about the FLHP; with all the big horse money in Florida, why is it they seem to be having trouble getting this off the ground? It has such incredible potential (I really enjoyed my time there for the April Festival of the horse, seeing Buck shoot arrows from the back of a horse was truly priceless), with great grounds and a HUGE trail network at its feet. It would be a shame to let it go.
    I certainly hope that when they get the South Carolina Horse Park off the ground and running it can maintain better management consistancy.
    Do not forget also in the East is the GMHA (Vermont) T3Day the end of this month. We are entered there as well and looking forward to it (we opted to skip the AEC's for it even).
    I hope they get some good Long Format and/or T3 + P3 bumper stickers, I would be proud to sport that on my trailer as I pull into various HT's!
    If Ignorance is bliss, then why are there not more happy people in the world?

Definition of a Brain Fart: The involuntary release of Ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by CookiePony View Post
    I am betting the KY T3DE will be a blast-- please go if you can!

I'm going. CAN NOT WAIT!
    “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

FarrierPrincess,

The Long Format Club just took delivery of our first set of LFC merchandise - individually numbered stickers for our donators/members, large 3'x5' banners to display at events, and the first order of non-numbered stickers that will be up for sale as soon as I can get the merchandise page of the website finalized!! Woo hoo!

I'm going to be a frequent guest at the post office this weekend!

I am trying to get LFC T-shirts done this weekend too, but the printer's priorities aren't always the same as mine (imagine that!).

More soon...

Scout (Sherry)
    Director, The Long Format Club, Inc.
    Supporting the USEA Classic Three-Day Event Series!
    www.longformatclub.com

Talking MidSouth Team Challenge

We're heading to KY in October -- so far from our 'posse' we have one full T3D team, working on filling a 2nd team and have two horses slated for the CCI* w/SC -- so we're doing our part to support the long format!

I hope I didn't just jinx us!

Sorry to hear about FHP....