The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

myalter123 Guest

Default H/J trainer in Central/North Central MA

Looking for a H/J trainer that is North of Worcester, MA, the North central MA area that allows truck ins. Towns like Littleton, Harvard, Lancaster, Groton, etc. I am not looking for a place to board, only truck in for lessons and show. We usually go to the local shows like North Shore, Cape Cod Hunters, Saddle Rowe, MHC finals, etc and would like to keep a show schedule very similar to that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any personal experiences can be posted also, or emailed if necessary. TIA

myalter123 Guest

I could also travel to South Central New Hampshire areas

Not exactly where you are looking, but what about Cornerstone in Haverhill- just about 1/2 from Littleton.

http://ridecornerstone.com/

myalter123 Guest

I am familiar with Cornerstone farm and actually considered them at one point, but they are over an hour for me to haul. How about any feedback on Kathy Haas (sp) of Rising Star Equestrian in Medway?

I don't know that Medway is that much closer than haverhill- definitely depends on traffic!

There is Woodgate in West Boylston, not sure if there is a reason your not going there? http://woodgatefarm.com/Woodgate_Far...n_Program.html

I used to work for Kathy Haas back in 1997. She is a wonderful trainer and instructor. Her farm is spotless, and she is great horsewoman. I highly recommend her.

Not sure where Mark Jungherr is these days, I know he is in MA, he is really great.

I board at Rising Star and have two of my horses in full training with Kathy and I can't say enough good things about her or the program. I highly recommend it!!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Default I'm at an eventing barn myself, but live in the area.

I know nothing about it, but drive by every day.....Newbury Farm in Littleton. I believe that Lauren Stevens is in Harvard somewhere...but can't remember the name of the barn, I know there's Whitney Lane & Meadow March, but not sure if they're HJ. There's also Red Acre Farm in Stow which is about a 10 minute drive from Littleton right over the Acton/Stow line.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Another thumbs up for Kathy and RS.
    I've ridden there in the past, and my niece rides there currently.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

myalter123 Guest

Frank at Woodgate is wonderful, as is Newbury, however, the show schedule there is a little above my budget. As much as I would love to go to those shows on a regular basis I cannot afford to.

I have run into Kathy at many of the shows we go to and have watched her students go, and I have liked what I see. A friend of mine (also a trainer) is good friends with a couple of her students and she highly recommends her. Hey Punkie, did you happen to do the Child/Adult Hunter Classic at Northeast Benefit? We may have chatted at ringside.

Cornerstone has a great program, and Moinica is great. Just not a fit for us.

The Steege's at Red Acre in Stow might fit what you are looking for. Also Lauren Stevens is now out of Meadow March in Harvard, that program might suit you as well.

Come and visit us at Esterbrook in Acton. We do both A shows and Saddle Rowe, Cape Cod hunter etc. and we do have some ship in customers. www.esterbrookfarm.net

myalter123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyponies View Post
    Come and visit us at Esterbrook in Acton. We do both A shows and Saddle Rowe, Cape Cod hunter etc. and we do have some ship in customers. www.esterbrookfarm.net
    toomanyponies, would you please email/ private message me with more details about the program there. I have seen Tricia at some of our shows before, but I don't know much about her or the farm's program.

myalter123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    I board at Rising Star and have two of my horses in full training with Kathy and I can't say enough good things about her or the program. I highly recommend it!!
    I am going to contact Kathy to talk to her about her program. I am just worried about the distance. But, I am thinking it can't be too much farther then the 45 minutes I was driving before. Punkie, if you have any other info you could tell me about her program, please feel free to email/private message me. I need to make a decision very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by myalter123 View Post
    I am going to contact Kathy to talk to her about her program. I am just worried about the distance. But, I am thinking it can't be too much farther then the 45 minutes I was driving before. Punkie, if you have any other info you could tell me about her program, please feel free to email/private message me. I need to make a decision very soon.
    That was me and my porky Hano. who looks like a QH I have Kathy and her program to thank for my little man even walking into that ring. Check your inbox for a more detailed message
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.