The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To cut it off or to not cut it off (flash nosebands)

I am in a debate regarding Vernon's bridle. The bridle is very dear to me and has a bit of silly sentimental value. But it is also a decent, good looking bridle that fits Vernon well and looks great on him. However, it is a flash bridle, and I haven't used a flash or figure eight on Vernon in well over six months. So we just go around minus the flash with the little flash loop hanging out on his nose. I am trying to decide whether I should leave it alone (because, Murphy's Law being what it is, I'll probably want it as soon as it is gone), or chop it off and have a plain noseband.

The boss and I were talking about it today, and he was very good at playing both sides of the coin. We do have LOTS of nosebands to go around, so if I do cut it off, it's not like I'll have to go buy a new noseband. BUT, this bridle has brass fittings and none of our other bridles have brass buckles!!! Nothing will match!!!!

So, do I cut it off or leave it alone? What would you do?

cut it off and if you need to shut his mouth.....and want your bridle to match...go buy a figure 8. Nunn finer has one with brass....otherwise, just use a unmatching one.

A flash is just and ineffective figure 8 anyway....
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Cut it off. If you need it, Bit of Britain has their awesome (i.e. don't warp the noseband like the stitched in ones do) flash attachments with brass. http://www.bitofbritain.com/Flash_Attachment_p/0073.htm

Don't cut it off! Don't maul the bridle. Years of Pony Club just. Won't. Let me.

Okay, if it must go then send it to me so I can cut the stitching, remove the loop and stitch it back. Just please don't cut it. Please?

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by LLDM View Post
    Don't cut it off! Don't maul the bridle. Years of Pony Club just. Won't. Let me.

Okay, if it must go then send it to me so I can cut the stitching, remove the loop and stitch it back. Just please don't cut it. Please?

SCFarm
    YESS!! hahaha!

Do you have a leather repair shop anywhere near you that would take it apart? Maybe even a cobbler could do it.

Yellowbritches, you are a handy sort (I gather this from your posts) so YOU could take it apart and remobe the loop and sew it back. But I'd take it off for sure. I think they look dorky with a loop and no flash, like you lost the flash or something.
    And if you need one, just cross the flash once over the caveson, and buckle it on...it sort of makes an upside down, wide "V"....or switch out to a figure 8, which I think looks more like and event horse bridle.
    My horse in my profile shot could never bear to have his mouth strapped shut, so he went in a loose caveson.

Guilty of riding in a bridle with the loop for a flash but no flash...

I can't bear to cut it and mess up the bridle but don't see the point in buying yet another bridle
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ Vintage "Ellie" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

Great! Now I'm going to have to take my bridle to the leather shop and have them remove the loop...just because I read this topic. It's going to bug me now.

You all are no help!!

But if I do cut it off, I'll either run it to Journeyman's or do it properly myself.

And I agree...flashes are fairly useless....but anything closing his mouth is fairly useless, so I might as well let it be open if that's what he wants.

Take it to a leather repair shop. You'll hardly know it was ever a flash. All of my bridles are plain cavessons (one or two have had the flash loop removed" and I either use a figure 8 or the BoB flash attachment when I feel one needs a little reminder about accepting the bit.

Would it be too horrific to use a flash converter tab (http://www.bitofbritain.com/Flash_Co...Tab_p/0079.htm), and then just use the original flash loop with that? That way you'll still have the brass buckle. Granted, it won't be as nice looking, but at least you'll have the option.
    Road to the T3D
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
    Guilty of riding in a bridle with the loop for a flash but no flash...

I can't bear to cut it and mess up the bridle but don't see the point in buying yet another bridle
    Same here! Perhaps we should start a club.
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

I cut mine off about 6 weeks ago and am very glad I did. I'd been riding over a year with the little loop looking like a wart on my horse's nose. It looks so much better now! I did it myself and just cut it right next to the stitching. You really can't tell that it was ever there.

I just did like Shortstroke did. If I want a drop, I only ever use my figure 8 anyway. Looks fine. You can see it here - if the link works. If you scroll over the picture it enlarges.

http://orderpicture.com/shop_addtoca...ected_product=

A good leather repair shop can do this for you at fairly low cost (a lot cheaper than a new caveson)

Then if you NEED to put a flash back on you can use one of the converter type flash nosebands but it sounds like you just don't need one.

I had my little loop surgically removed I never wanted it, never used it and only bought it b/c the tack store near me only had flashes. Now I have to figure out what to do with the long skinny strap that goes around the nose

I would be inclined to buy another (plain) noseband... and then you will have the flash noseband if you need it.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

I'm with the 'don't just hack it off' group. Have it surgically removed.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I am in a debate regarding Vernon's bridle. The bridle is very dear to me and has a bit of silly sentimental value. But it is also a decent, good looking bridle that fits Vernon well and looks great on him. However, it is a flash bridle, and I haven't used a flash or figure eight on Vernon in well over six months. So we just go around minus the flash with the little flash loop hanging out on his nose. I am trying to decide whether I should leave it alone (because, Murphy's Law being what it is, I'll probably want it as soon as it is gone), or chop it off and have a plain noseband.

The boss and I were talking about it today, and he was very good at playing both sides of the coin. We do have LOTS of nosebands to go around, so if I do cut it off, it's not like I'll have to go buy a new noseband. BUT, this bridle has brass fittings and none of our other bridles have brass buckles!!! Nothing will match!!!!

So, do I cut it off or leave it alone? What would you do?
    If you want it GONE, take it to Journeyman in Middleburg and ask them to remove it and re-stich the noseband. If they do their usual work, neither you nor anyone else will ever be able to tell that the noseband used to have a flash.

If you cut it off yourself, it will be unsightly, which is fine for a "schooling bridle", but not your favorite bridle.

If you're not sure you *won't* ever use a flash on this bridle again, just leave the loop alone! :-> It's not *that* hard to find a matching noseband to your liking with brass hardware, for heaven's sake! Middleburg Tack Exchange!! Or online! Or at B.O.B.!! Problem solved ;->
    Yvonne Lucas
    Red Moon Farm
    redmoonfarm.com

"Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect." - Jim Wofford

"Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant." - Jim Wofford

I'm so excited to find out that I've managed to cheapskate something about my horse and tack! Makes my day.

Ok, seriously though. I chopped mine off, carefully, tight up to the noseband, and with good sharp scissors. If you look at it, you can tell what I did. If you're not looking, to be honest, I don't think you'd ever notice. If it had been a new bridle, I might have taken it to my tack guy, but I did it to a 15 year old Crosby (ah, the good old days). If it hadn't turned out well, I'd have taken it to the shop and had them undo the stitching, but turned out fine. I'll take a poll at the barn to see if I'm wrong that it's not too hideous...