The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default filling below hock

My three year old has a half egg sized fluid sack right below his hock on the side of the top of his cannon bone. It has no heat, it never changes, it is not from a kick. I have sweated it to no avail. I am now painting it with Ball's Solution and DMSO..... so far no change. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?? Never lame, not sensitive to the touch. So at this point I would call it cosmetic. I can't decide whether to have a vet drain and inject it....my only experience with this type of cosmetic blemish was that it filled up soon after being drained.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Default Curbed Hock?

Could it be a curb hock? Unfortunately my mare just tore her superficial digital flexor tendon right at the cap of her hock. Prior to it being diagnosed I read everythign I could on hock swelling.

Do a google search on curb hock. You will find some good articles. Supposedly a curbed hock is traditionally inflamation of one of the many soft tissue structures around the hock. Plantar Ligament, SDF DDF tendon, etc. But it often doesn't cause lameness and is not permenant damage. Could just end up as a cosmetic blemish.

I would have the vet take a look at it to be sure.

Could it be a wind puff?
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    My three year old has a half egg sized fluid sack right below his hock on the side of the top of his cannon bone. It has no heat, it never changes, it is not from a kick. I have sweated it to no avail. I am now painting it with Ball's Solution and DMSO..... so far no change. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?? Never lame, not sensitive to the touch. So at this point I would call it cosmetic. I can't decide whether to have a vet drain and inject it....my only experience with this type of cosmetic blemish was that it filled up soon after being drained.
    what happens when you push it does it move to the other side of his leg
    if so its a bog spavin--
    if its a soft lump on his hock then its a capped hock which will go hard ifnot cuaght early

if a capped hock then bank your bed and make sure its deep in the middle as well as not enough bedding causes capped hock, sore elbows and hips

or it could be a curb- but for proper diagnoise call a vet and have it confirmed as it could even be a punture wound hence why is not getting better

to many proables call a vet and get it confirmed what it is
    mate sometimes the simplest thing can turn in to a major one if not cuaght early enough and have it looked at - hes three now this is his future soundness so get him checked out

I must not have described it correctly. It is not a curb, nor a wind puff. It is on the outside of the cannon bone right below the hock. If it was hard I would call it a splint, although it would be an unusual place for a splint. I can push on it, and flatten it out, but it pops right back as soon as I take the pressure off. No inflammation. No lameness.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

My 2 year old has this and it is just fluid from an OCD lesion in his hock. Have you had it xrayed?
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Default thank you KrazyTBMare

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    My 2 year old has this and it is just fluid from an OCD lesion in his hock. Have you had it xrayed?
    Although this is hopefully not the cause, I think I will have it xrayed . I consider an OCD a major sale stopper, and as this is a colt I plan to sell in the next couple of years, it seems I had best find out if that is what he has.

Has your two year old had any other indications of an OCD??

Nope. When I purchased him (back in March) I had a PPE done and the prev owner was upfront and said that she just noticed a swelling on his hock but he wasnt lame. And he wasnt. And hasnt been.

He has a DIRT lesion, which I was told if he had to have OCD, this is the best place to have it. Its one of those things that may or may not ever cause an issue and if it does, its a simple surgery to perform.

Heres a liberty pic and as you can see, it doesnt hamper him. lol

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...01010_0001.jpg

BTW, it is on his right hock and that is the one I had xrayed. Theres a very good chance that he has the same one on his left hock. I did not xray because he wasnt showing any signs (ie: swelling or lameness) of it, and if it does start to bother him, I will know why and if/when I do the surgery, we will do it on both.

After much research, I, obviously, did not feel that OCD in the location my boy has it was a deal breaker. I hope you figure out what it is. Good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I have a young gelding, age two, with a similar swelling.

Not lame.

It's right on the top of the cannon bone where the leg curves.

Bog spavin?

Default I don't think it is a bog spavin...

those are on the front of the hock and are appreciably larger than this walnut sized fluid lump at the top and side of his cannon bone. I had my vet check it out and she said it was just fluid and that tapping it and injecting it with cortizone would make it look fine until the next DAY!!! She was saying that it is not worth bothering ....it does not bother HIM, he is not sensitive on it, and it never changes. She said if it is a deal breaker, they don't want him very much!!!