The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cutting round bales with chainsaw...... tell me more!

I have seen a few references to cutting rounds with a chainsaw. Can someone tell me more detail about how you are cutting them?

We started using rounds a few years ago because it is cheaper.... and our hay man does rounds and square of horse quality hay off of the same fields, so no worries about that. So far we have been peeling off hay for 6 horses everyday, anything that makes it easier makes my ears perk up!

I'm one of those chain saw juggling round bale cutters! Well, not me, but guys that work for me. Got the idea from a friend who got 1,000 lb bales of alfalfa. Asked him how they fed them, and he said they cut them with a chainsaw down the middle to make two smaller, more manageable bales.

We sat the RB upright, removed the twine, and cut it like a cherry pie! They guy cutting it had to be careful not to let hay jam in it where the chain meets the body of the saw. It was a bit trial and error at first.

Easier than unrolling the bale like it was cotton candy! Much easier to fill up the wheel barrow with pieces of hay pie.

If you are worried about contaminating the bale with bar oil, use veg oil instead.
    (hubby ok'ed this. He sells chainsaws for a living. )

i was wondering about the oil--thanks Bandit!
    BeesKnees
    Hunters should be galloping - George Morris

I peeled hay off rounds (not small ones either, almost a ton each) for almost a month for 14 horses and I thought I was going to die!! Because I couldn't peel off as much as I liked each feeding time, I ended up going out 3-4x/day wheeling smaller amounts. I think they were getting sick of seeing me so often.

BF was gone so I didn't have a chainsaw. Tried the hack saw though, however it was not productive at all. I simply prayed for dry weather so the truck could get in w/ the rounds and I could stop visiting them so often throughout the day.

Hope you get the chainsaw to work, will make life so much easier and your horses won't get tired of seeing you.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Would one of the Stile hedge trimers work?? I have a 3 foot industrial model that will cut up to 3/4 inch branches. I wonder if it would cut hay. It does not have a chain or anything that could plug with hay and doesn't need lubricant. It is like a big electric knife you cut the turkey with.

We took a completely different approach which is working well for us. I feed approximately eight 900# round bales a month to 11 horses and peeling that much hay off daily was getting tedious to say the least. My husband carried his hay spear to a welding shop, had them super-duper reinforce it to prevent bending, and now he literally picks the bales up and shakes them apart for me. I simply pick up the loose hay now and either load in a wheelbarrow or big vinyl bags I purchased off of ebay. It takes me so much less time than I was expending before. So if you have a tractor with a bucket, you can do the same thing with a hay spear attachment. Having the spear reinforced was not expensive.

P.S.: I tried the hedgetrimmer approach awhile back before we started shaking them. Mine wasn't a commercial-type trimmer but it was a large one. It was a complete failure - it bogged down in the hay too much.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I have been using round bales since the first of the year since they are the same hay as I was getting before but just not in square bales and I am saving a ton of money. They are a pain to feed though. I have been pulling them apart with a pitch fork, putting the hay in a big bucket and then putting it into hay nets. I never thought of using a chainsaw but that would make it so much easier to handle. I even like the idea of using the hedge trimmer instead so the husband wouldn't have to put vegetable oil on his chainsaw.

Anyone else thing this sounds really dangerous? Seems to me the chance of the saw binding up and kicking back is fairly high.