The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Irony of owning horses

My 13 yo told me last night that some of her friends think we are 'rich' because we own horses Hubby keeps saying that the horses are putting us in the poor house

Oh the irony of horse ownership.......

Owning a horse=happiness
    Owning 2 horses=poverty
    Owning three horses=insanity
    Owning more horses=dire poverty, absolute insanity and utter bliss...
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I'm definitely in the dire poverty, absolute insanity and utter bliss category

That's one of those times when you wish that perception really WAS reality.

LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sigh - this has been a common misconception that dates back to ancient Greece when the elite landowners were the cavalry and the poor classes made up the footsoldiers.

Can you believe 3000 years later horseowners are still considered "elite" by most non-horseowners?

If I hear one more time "But you have horses" I believe I will stab the speaker with a hoofpick.

Yes - I have horses
    No - I am not rich, actually I'm at the low end of what constitutes middle class wage-earners today
    Yes - I can still afford my horses and pay the bills
    No - I would not be better off if I sold them - financially perhaps (although my research seems to show that lifestyle expands to fit income) mentally? Ha!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I just call it being "horse poor."

In this state, if you run out of unemployment and have to go on government assistance you will not get it if they find out you have a horse. If you want to eat, the horse has to go.

I had a dentist whose wife/office manager hit the roof when I wanted to put my dental charges on Visa (which was an allowable option) instead of paying in cash. Figured if I had a horse, I was swimming in money. Didn't realize that the reason I had plastic to begin with was BECAUSE I had a horse!

That's so funny. Perceptions of what's rich and poor. I know lots of folks around here who are just-barely-scraping-by but have horses - usually kept at home, not boarded. Not rich by any definition.

We keep our horses at home. Daughter figures those who board have a lot of money I tell daughter "Don't judge a book by its cover" It's interesting how her friends think of her. I wonder what my friends think....

Yeah, unless I know the other person is horsey, I typically won't mention that I have a horse. For exactly this reason... they automatically assume I am swimming in money. Nope, there are plenty of things that I don't do that other people in my income bracket usually do do. <sigh> My horse is a better friend anyway
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Default The psychology behind this?

Isn't it interesting how we are trying to convince people that we aren't rich.

Since when did having money become a bad thing. Only when the person you are speaking with has less. If you are with a wealthier person, then it's OH YES, WE HAVE HORSES.

Have you seen those dope dealers, standing on the corner wearing tons of gold jewelery, they drive fancy cars... then you see their house and it's a HUD home, in the projects. THEY seem to want to prove they are rich. But it's all an act.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine Farmer View Post
    Isn't it interesting how we are trying to convince people that we aren't rich. (clip)
    It is interesting! Well, it's not nice to show off if you have more (even if you are poor and the other person is just poorer). Probably one of those reasons we had that etiquette thing about not discussing money, religion, etc.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Having horses makes my life rich, even as it depletes my bank account. . . which is fine with me.

Where my DH grew up, horse ownership was one of the status symbols, so when he met me, that was his first impression. . . until he hung out with me and my horse friends a bit and realized, that it cost a ton of money and time and was hard work. Where he grew up, his friends with horses all had them boarded out at fancy boarding barns, and did none of the work.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I think it has a lot to do with priorities. What makes us happy. I have horses, and I don't take expesive vacations.
    There are (IMO) 'rich' people who own horses, but they are just on a higher level of horse broke.
    I have three saddles in my car and one of the paralegals walked by and was 'impressed'. no clue.......

Obviously these people have never seen an emergency vet bill, or realise that the hooves need to be cared for every six weeks.... and, unlike a motorcycle or a boat, they need fuel even in the off months. Oh, AND... even when you're sleeping, they're pooping.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Yes - I have horses
    No - I am not rich, actually I'm at the low end of what constitutes middle class wage-earners today
    Yes - I can still afford my horses and pay the bills
    No - I would not be better off if I sold them - financially perhaps (although my research seems to show that lifestyle expands to fit income) mentally? Ha!

I hear ya' ! And then there's all the people that think they should be able to ride your horses... but that's another thread.

My DH's family says "Wow your wife has a horse and you live in Connecticut?" You must be wealthy....lol Not in a million years..

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    Owning a horse=happiness
    Owning 2 horses=poverty
    Owning three horses=insanity
    Owning more horses=dire poverty, absolute insanity and utter bliss...
    In my case you can change that to: Owning a horse = poverty

I believe that there was a survey done on COTH subscribers, and the majority were in the 250k+ income level. Hardly poor

I am not saying that every person who has a horse is rich, but to have a hobby with so much expense in the upkeep certainly makes it seem you have more disposable income than others. Horse poor is a wonderful thing, but you have to remember that there are plenty of people who are just getting by without the horse!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine Farmer View Post
    Isn't it interesting how we are trying to convince people that we aren't rich.
    Interesting, indeed. Sure, horses are rare enough for the population at large that they are perceived to be a luxury item. As for the irony, I've seen plenty of posts by 'fellow poor horse owners' in these parts criticizing posters because:

a) (S)he has to sell one or more horses due to financial difficulties
    b) (S)he is pondering euthanasia for a horse in lieu of very expensive treatments
    c) (S)he isn't prepared to 'do what it takes' financially to give an unrideable horse a 'forever' home because of the expense
    d) (S)he isn't prepared to just drop everything and go rescue the needy horse(s) in the neighborhood

And so on.

Conversely, as I think about it, 'we' spend the bucks on the horse, the tack, the clothing, the board, the lessons, the latest fuchsia saddle pad...and then complain when the vet or farrier charges 'too much' money for some basic service.

I would venture to say that if 'we' own one or more horses, and a computer, 'we' are better off than 99.9% of the people on this planet.

Yeah, I choose to spend the available bucks on the horses, otherwise I'd surely have that villa on the Riviera.