The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff of "The WHAT!" - Free computer program to design house/barn?

Does anyone know of a free online computer program that lets you play around with designing your own house and/or barn? There are probably all sorts of fancy architect programs, but I'm just thinking something really basic to have fun with - kind of like the Sims, but just more of a "plan" program.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I'd like to know as well. We've been toying with the idea of buying property and building for years, but I could never find a floor plan that I liked.

I can see myself spending HOURS playing with said program.....

Google, "design your own house plan" and you will discover endless ways to get in trouble for wasting your day on the computer...

Sketch-Up. It's free to download through google, and you can build a 3-D version of whatever you want. If you go through their little tutorial, it's very quick to learn the basics. Then there's something called the 3-D warehouse on google that has all kinds of things you can put inside your model, from people to entire kitchens, cars, whatever.

http://www.fbibuildings.com/Pages/FBiPlanner.html

Love this one! If you set up a free account with them, they will send you at least one email (because they are a barn/building construction firm). They let me know that I'm out of their coverage area, so I replied to acknowledge that, but thanked them for the use of their VERY cool tool.
    It even has little scaled drawings of critters - horse, cow, dog, even a cat!

It is barn/work building only - no houses on this one.
    Last edited by bdj; Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: forgot to mention that it doesn't have houses!

Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I used Microsoft Visio to create the plans for our additions on the house. However, it is not free, but part of the Microsoft Office Professional software package.

Just wanted to put it out there in case anyone reading this thread has it available.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams