The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Post UPDATE Anne Gribbons & Morten Thomsen(WRONG) Selected as USA Dressage Coaches

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=2729

Anne Gribbons, an “O” judge who has represented the United States at small tour in the Pan American Games, and Morten Thomsen who represented Denmark in the 2000 Olympic Games, are being interviewed by the U.S. Equestrian Federation on financial terms of their agreement to be what will be described officially as national advisor, chef d’equipe and national trainer. In broad terms, Gribbons will be the advisor/administrative half of the combination, Thomsen the training component.
    Last edited by ridgeback; Aug. 13, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
    Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

Interesting. A driver, an eventer and a show jumper picked the new national dressage trainer. I looked at the new national coach's record, and I have to admit: I am truly puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    Interesting. A driver, an eventer and a show jumper picked the new national dressage trainer. I looked at the new national coach's record, and I have to admit: I am truly puzzled.
    Well the high performance committee agreed.
    Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

Yeah.

Maybe he's a fantastic teacher? I don't think they could go with a dutch coach the training is two different. JMO But it sure is typical that USEF changes the rules half way through but doesn't tell anyone...looks like nothing has changed with USEF

I can see having to change the criteria they had, because it wasn't reasonable. But not telling anyone or asking for submissions under the new criteria? Not good. And why would a driver, an eventer and a showjumper make even the first stage of selection? Why was there not even one dressage person on the first stage of selection?

I can see having to change the criteria they had, because it wasn't reasonable. But not telling anyone or asking for submissions under the new criteria. Unconscionable and makes it look as if the selection process, shall I say diplomatically, lacks transparency.
    Much of what they do lacks transparency that has been my beef with them all along. They do whatever they want whenever they want. Well lets hope he's good for U.S. dressage

In the last big competition I could find for him, he finished fourth from last in a big international field. He is a horse breeder at present. I can find that recently he sold a stallion he bred, and that he has been involved recently in young horse competition coaching.

It says on his website that he has adopted methods from non dressage trainers, and does not believe in looking at horses 'with just 'dressage glasses' on', so I bet many here will just love him. I see no pictures with the horse's neck curled, so he could be extremely popular here. The curled neck cuts most of the Dutch trainers out, whether they do it a lot or not, and we can't afford any Germans, so there you are.

In the last big competition I could find for him, he finished fourth from last in a big international field. He is a horse breeder at present. I can find that recently he sold a stallion he bred, and that he has been involved recently in young horse competition coaching.

It says on his website that he has adopted methods from non dressage trainers, and does not believe in looking at horses 'with just 'dressage glasses' on', so I bet many here will just love him.
    Well many don't have to love him only the high performance riders I know Haddad has ridden with him not sure about Blitz and you know Steffan was consulted and if he wasn't that is crazy.

Perhaps the problem is the media which makes it look as if no one was consulted at all, and the decision was arbitrary and completely brainless, and describing William's role as 'rubber stamping'. The tip off might be referring to Robert Dover as 'spurned' and putting a big picture of him riding Kennedy, across the top of the article. Perhaps the article has a bias. I can't say I've ever heard any responsible jhournalism referring to a coach candidate that didn't get selected as 'spurned'.

Thomsen is certainly a dark horse selection, but most of the big name candidates would have been a turn-off for some riders for one reason or another. Riders would come into training sessions with a big name coach with pre-conceived ideas about that coach, and same for the coach. Let's face it, most top riders have been exposed to each other in one setting or another - a clinic, a show, a sales deal, etc., and there is no doubt "bad blood" between some of them for various reasons. It would be hard to keep old feelings out of training situations. Thomsen is pretty much unknown, so can start with a clean slate. The article says the top riders were in a clinic with him in CA, so they must have liked him enough to give him the nod.

Another consideration is whether the contracts put restrictions on the coach's training/horse dealing activities. Most top riders/trainers are not going to put up with that, while Thomsen may have been willing to aceept the conditions. Also there is the issue of compensation - top, big name riders/trainers would expect a very hefty salary for this role.

Well, that's just plain whack.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Well, that's just plain whack.
    Why

Morten Thomsen has been coaching Catherine Haddad since she split with Zeilinger,and I think has done a good job with Cadillac and Haddad.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

i agree, ridgeback. thomsen may be a stellar coach and the best thing that ever happened to our team. but what about transparency? the federations (all of them) better get their sh*t together before they find themselves at waterloo.

Probably the biggest thing in his favour is that he comes without baggage, and was probably the only applicant in that position.
    His Olympics statistics; http://www.sports-reference.com/olym...thomsen-1.html

Smile

<< Probably the biggest thing in his favour is that he comes without baggage, and was probably the only applicant in that position.>>

egg-zackly.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Default have a little faith

after all this negativity following just the announcement, I'm glad Anne G. isn't afraid to tell folks to take a flying leap. does anyone doubt she will be able to represent the interests of the USA?

the folks on this committee are doing this for what?

fame and fortune? money? career advancement?

I don't think so.

The people I know on the committee are devoted to advancing US dressage. I know for sure that current and past HP riders were consulted. Some were on the committee and some were asked for their input as recently as last week. The committee members were exhaustive in their efforts to explore all possibilities.

So this is the best plan that our most experienced folks could devise. It is their best estimation of what will work for us.

I'd like to remind those being so critical that the only person who never makes a mistake, is the person who does nothing.

If it doesn't work, we can try something else.

In the meantime, can we at least have a little faith and give them some support?

nice mouthpiecery, plantagenet. no one is necessarily complaining about the choices (i certainly think anne gribbons is an excellent choice); what is at issue is the midstream job revision and non-notification to applicants. the behind closed doors model of management is outdated thinking and should be relegated to the past.

Yeah, I imagine that it probably became more and more apparent to the selection team as they worked through the candidates that it might be a good idea to go with a dark horse with no baggage. Most of the "usual suspects" no doubt would have elicited strong negative emotions from some of the selectors or high performance riders.

There is also the fact that Thomsen is Danish (i.e., not German, and not Dutch), so will hopefully not be immediately offensive to those who are firmly in the German or Dutch systems of training.

I am intrigued by his selection, and wish him great success. He has big shoes to fill, but this could be an exciting new era for American dressage.