The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OLD vs RPSI?

So even though my fillys sire was accepted OLD GOV today, she is only a week old and no more inspections this yr. for that. I am 99% sure we are doing the RPSI at Glenhill the end of this month, but there is an OLD NA in Sept. Any thoughts or preferences? Another question, if a foal is approved OLD NA, can they also be accepted OLD GOV?
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

My personal preferance is RPSI since I have had some negative experiences with the Old/ISR office staff and one particular inspector in the past (both for extreme rudeness) and the RPSI office was much more pleasant to deal with. Old/ISR has been around in the US longer and is a bigger organization (thus has a better name recognition) if that matters to you. You do have to pick just one to register with. Among WBs they cannot be double registered.
    Now if a filly is registered Old/ISR she can later be inspected and approved Old/GOV for breeding, or vice versa, but she can only get registration papers from one.

What Camohn said. Your filly can only be registered with one warmblood registry, however she will be eligible to be approved for breeding at maturity by other registries that accept her pedigree.

Typically, the filly would follow the registry with which the dam is approved. With which registry is your mare approved?

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Typically, the filly would follow the registry with which the dam is approved. With which registry is your mare approved?
    That is true though by having the mare inspected elsewhere with the foal at side the mare is probably less of an issue than where the stallion is approved/sound like by her post the stallion is approved with mutiple registries. The OP didn't mention if the mare was inspected yet....so she may or may not be already approved somewhere. If not, the mare needs to be inspected too.
    Last edited by camohn; Aug. 12, 2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: sp

Is the sire also RPSI approved? What about the mare? What registry(ies) are both sire and dam commonly approved with?

Another vote here for RPSI. Wonderful people to do business with. In fact they actually APPRECIATE you .

Stallion is approver RPSI, mare is Selle Francias so will need to be approved the same time as the baby.
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

I've had very good experiences with the ISR/Oldenburg organization. One difference I've noticed is that while both ISR/Oldenburg and RPSI take exceptional horses with unknown or non-traditional sport horse pedigrees (like QH), I prefer the fact that with the former they put those horses in a separate book (ISR) with a separate brand whereas RPSI seems to not make the distinction so clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Schiffon View Post
    I've had very good experiences with the ISR/Oldenburg organization. One difference I've noticed is that while both ISR/Oldenburg and RPSI take exceptional horses with unknown or non-traditional sport horse pedigrees (like QH), I prefer the fact that with the former they put those horses in a separate book (ISR) with a separate brand whereas RPSI seems to not make the distinction so clearly.
    No...RPSI does have 2 different books and brands. Book I is Main Book and has one brand. Horses of insufficient pedigree (like a QH) go in Book II (a separate book) and receive a half brand. Horses in Book I are called Approved and in Book II are Recorded.....basically it is a certificate of pedigree. A horse may or may not be moved up from Book II to Book I depending on the circumstances. Something like being a QH will not change. Missing pedigree which is later verified or a foal from an unapproved stallion that later gets approved can move up, for example.

They are both reputable, well respected registries however, because of the stallions approval status with RPSI, I might lean toward them in this case.

I like both, Although You should look in to the other breeds accepting RPSI Fillies into there stud books later in life , Just in case you want to breed her to say a Hanoverian you could run into problems. This is what I keep in mind. Geldings I feel can go anything you like.

Hope this helps.
    Lucy Meyer
    www.royalequusfarm.com
    Home of : Sonntagskind Sandro Hit/Donnerhall/ Rubinstein Stallion.
    RPSI,BWP,Dutch Book 1,
    Pre Approved AHS YEAH!!

From your origional post, it would seem to me the stallion is GOV approved and not ISR/OLD approved. They are very different registries, reguardless of having oldenburg in the title, so if the stallion is approved with one and not the other, the foal will only be eligible for full foal book in the registry where the sire 9and hopefully dam) will be approved. Since you missed the GOV inspection, it would seem RPSI would be your best route. A foal in the full foal book for RPSI would also be eligible at maturity to be approved for breeding in either ISR/OLD NA or GOV in the future.

editied to add, I believe all german registries allow RPSI approved mares to be approved for breeding if they are registered in the full foal book (ie have approved pedigree with RPSI as will) since RPSI is a a fully recognized german registry. The foal being RPSI vs GOV vs ISR/OLD would make no difference for AHS, as it would be scored as a non-hannovarian mare for approvals reguardless, but I believe they take RPSI along with other german registries as well as Jockey Club TBs.
    ---------------------------

~Once you have ridden the tiger it is impossible to dismount~

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Equus Farm View Post
    I like both, Although You should look in to the other breeds accepting RPSI Fillies into there stud books later in life , Just in case you want to breed her to say a Hanoverian you could run into problems. This is what I keep in mind. Geldings I feel can go anything you like.
    This is VERY good advice. I would definitely investigate your possibilities before deciding.

The stallion is approved Oldenburg NA, GOV and Rpsi. The Rpsi inspection is a couple miles down the road from the OP and the Oldenburg NA is a couple hours away and really hot. I vote for Rpsi although any of the registeries are great.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Default RPSI

I would go with RPSI. I don't have a lot of experience with ISR/OLD so do not know what they offer you. With the RPSI BOOK I or II you get a full passport which comes in very handy when you start showing out of the country or need to export a horse. I like the RPSI offering that. I do not know if ISR/OLD does that or not.
    Home of Five Kings HsH (Eurocommerce Berlin x Diamant de Semilly x Quidam de Revel) and several top bred mares www.hshorses.com