The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bought some trees, now ONE more wind/privacy screen question!

Well... my plans unfolded today like it was just meant to be. I went to the local ag-store to buy some bags of mulch. We pulled back in the gated in area that's the garden center during the summer. I expected it to be empty since just last week I checked and there were no trees. To my surprise, I saw a TON of little potted spruces sitting there! I walked back and they were 3 for $12!!! They were all super healthy and most are 18"-24", some maybe a little taller. I got 30 of them for $120 and will probably just need a few more (I had to fit them all in a little Ford Focus back seat and trunk... surprisingly there was room left ) Talk about a steal! So after all this talk about spruces and arborvitaes today, I have the spruce part.

Here's my question... how would you do the spacing? The spruces will be 10' apart center to center. Green Giants are not as full as the spruces, right? So how would you plant them in the row behind the spruces? Would you still do those 10' on center to alternate with the spruces? I can't think of any way that would be logical, but I'm not sure if that would be okay since they're skinnier. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    Well... my plans unfolded today like it was just meant to be. I went to the local ag-store to buy some bags of mulch. We pulled back in the gated in area that's the garden center during the summer. I expected it to be empty since just last week I checked and there were no trees. To my surprise, I saw a TON of little potted spruces sitting there! I walked back and they were 3 for $12!!! They were all super healthy and most are 18"-24", some maybe a little taller. I got 30 of them for $120 and will probably just need a few more (I had to fit them all in a little Ford Focus back seat and trunk... surprisingly there was room left ) Talk about a steal! So after all this talk about spruces and arborvitaes today, I have the spruce part.

Here's my question... how would you do the spacing? The spruces will be 10' apart center to center. Green Giants are not as full as the spruces, right? So how would you plant them in the row behind the spruces? Would you still do those 10' on center to alternate with the spruces? I can't think of any way that would be logical, but I'm not sure if that would be okay since they're skinnier. Any advice?
    I think I'd put the arborvitae on the "pretty" side of the spruces (ie towards the house, inside), because in time the spruces will get very wide and tall and you won't see the arborvitae as well if they are behind them.

ETA: also consider the light - if you put the arborvitae on the north side of the spruces in time they will get very little sun (didn't read the other thread yet, so not sure where this is located, but north side is a common place for rows of pines... so assuming)

10 feet is too close for spruce, as they get pretty wide when they grow bigger. Take into consideration the size they will attain - just ASK me how I know.....damned spruce are way to close together here at 15", 20 is better. You can do the cedars on 10' because they only get to maybe 5-6' wide.

ETA - I agree, cedars on the house side - they grow faster but topping out at 15' to 50' of spruce
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Hmmm. Thanks. Now I'm confused. The "tree guy" I talked to last week said that in rows they will grow tighter and not hurt each other. Said they could 25+ feet alone, but in rows they would stay skinnier. I think I've been had. I'll have to do some more research.

I thought the green giants could be 40'+ tall? Regardless, I still would like to see them so was thinking about planting them on the house side. My only worry was if they were toxic. I've seen yes and no so thought they might be safer on the opposite side of the spruces.

Hmmmmmm, maybe the farther north you are the shorter they grow?!?! I remember seeing in some wholesale catalogue 15-20'?? I dont think thuja is toxic but the oils can cause contact dermatitis in sensitive individuals. They can also jump out and tear the skin off an unsuspecting human during transplanting

BTW, I sold trees for a long time, so while I may not remember names in English, I do remember spacings......and rows of spruce do crowd each other and the trees look weird. My cousin listend to the 10' stuff too and now has to move largish spruce that are getting too crowded. You can plant them closer but be prepared to get tree movers when those spruce get some height on them. Also if you have them too close together, you can't keep the area clean around them when they attain some size.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    Hmmmmmm, maybe the farther north you are the shorter they grow?!?! I remember seeing in some wholesale catalogue 15-20'?? I dont think thuja is toxic but the oils can cause contact dermatitis in sensitive individuals. They can also jump out and tear the skin off an unsuspecting human during transplanting

BTW, I sold trees for a long time, so while I may not remember names in English, I do remember spacings......and rows of spruce do crowd each other and the trees look weird. My cousin listend to the 10' stuff too and now has to move largish spruce that are getting too crowded. You can plant them closer but be prepared to get tree movers when those spruce get some height on them. Also if you have them too close together, you can't keep the area clean around them when they attain some size.
    Hm, was the 15-20 for the green giants? I almost bought emerald green arborvitaes but saw they didn't get as tall or wide. 15'-20' would be MORE than enough anyway. I think I'll keep them on the inside of the tree line anyway. So would you do 20' spacing for spruces and 10' for arborvitaes?

I am sure it was for green giants and the 20' rings a very loud bell. Emeralds only make 15' here.

Yeah, i would do the 20 for spruce - dad also followed the directions for 10' and 10' from buildings. Getting in and out of where the push mowers live is NOT fun, and dad lopped off branches on that side. Spruce trees are full of weeds I cant reach either, nor can I get a weed whacker in there without getting bit bad by needles. 10' cedars is generally pretty good but you can take that to 8 if you feel you must - they take crowding better than spruce or pine.

Odd isnt it that you guys call thuja arborvitae and we call them cedars.