The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default how do you clean the lovely sheepskin lined girths?

I wanted to buy one for horse shows, but I can't for the life of me figure out how you clean these! Anyone?

I stretch them out on the kitchen counter and take a tooth brush, sponge and shampoo to it. Rinse well under tap and dry quickly with towels. They turn out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasmare2 View Post
    I stretch them out on the kitchen counter and take a tooth brush, sponge and shampoo to it. Rinse well under tap and dry quickly with towels. They turn out well.
    Not to hijack the thread, but do you think this would work with sheepskin lined open front boots?

Don't see why not.

Default Washing leather products

Get leather laundry solution by leather therapy. You can throw it in the washers with the leather laundry solution and it comes out great. As far as boots, I hand wash them with the solution and they come out great.
    The best views are not always the invisable views.

Quote Originally Posted by notimenomoney View Post
    Get leather laundry solution by leather therapy. You can throw it in the washers with the leather laundry solution and it comes out great. As far as boots, I hand wash them with the solution and they come out great.
    I second this, that stuff is awesome! I just put it in the wash on gentle cycle and then let them dry- they take FOREVER to dry though, so definitely wash a day or 2 before the show. Also, they sell girths with removable sheepskin lining so you could wash the sheepskin and clean the leather regularly.

Yep, Leather Therapy is the way to go. After a show I throw the girth, equitation boots and any other sheepskin items in the washing machine on gentle with Leather Therapy and everything comes out great. I also brush the sheepskin with a wire dog brush a shows to keep the sheepskin nice and fluffy.

We have an extra bathroom in the house so I just put the sheepskin girths and boots in there and then I put the show head full blast on them and put shampoo on them then I leave them out to dry and then I oil the crap out of them and they are good as gold again . But don't forget about them when they are drying because they can dry out too much. I forgot about a beautiful pair of sheepskin ones outside and it down poured and the die went all of the sheepskin and they were ruined.

My suggestion for the future never buy any leather wear with attached sheepskin. Removable is the way to go!

The sheepskin lined leather girths have removable velcro sheepskin. Rip it off and throw it in the washer. Then fluff it with a stiff or wire brush.

But I guess what you're talking about is these: http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=4968

In that case, you throw it in the washer too. Then either hang to dry (which takes forever) or toss in the dryer. Then you leave the house because the noise is unreal. You might put it in some sort of bag to keep the buckles from banging up your dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    The sheepskin lined leather girths have removable velcro sheepskin. Rip it off and throw it in the washer. Then fluff it with a stiff or wire brush.

But I guess what you're talking about is these: http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=4968

In that case, you throw it in the washer too. Then either hang to dry (which takes forever) or toss in the dryer. Then you leave the house because the noise is unreal. You might put it in some sort of bag to keep the buckles from banging up your dryer.
    Not all of them are removable, mine sure isn't.

I would not put sheepskin the dryer. I have run the spin cycle twice to remove as much water as possibe. I also wash in cold only.

I put it in the washer machine with leather therapy or woolite in the hand wash cycle. Let air dry. To extend the time between washes once it is dry I spray a tad of show sheen on it and let it dry. I think it helps to repel dirt or at least help me remove it after use. When I used it, I let it dry and then use a sound hair brush to brush off the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by sansibar View Post
    Not all of them are removable, mine sure isn't.
    Ooooh, yeah, I would definitely make sure "removable" is in the description before I buy it! Around here it's usually so muddy that they'd be ruined in one day if you couldn't remove it to wash it.

ETA: and real sheepskin I wouldn't put in the dryer, but the fuzzy girth I linked earlier is not actual sheepskin. It's just fluff.

How would you clean a Fleeceworks half pad? Shampoo?

Quote Originally Posted by TJHunter049 View Post
    How would you clean a Fleeceworks half pad? Shampoo?
    thats what I do and it still looks beautiful after 2 years