The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Just saw our neighbor's barn burn down...

DH calls to me and says "I don't think that smoke is a brush pile burning". We jump in the car and head over to be sure everything is ok - as we are driving the smoke is horrible - thick and black rolling up to the sky. My heart sinks as the fire trucks scream past us...

By the time we get there (maybe 5 minutes from when we looked out) the entire barn is alreay gone. Remember the scene from Gone With The Wind where Atlanta is burning? OMG. I cried. There were people everywhere so we didn't stay... Praying the barn was full of fresh hay only and no animals and that the fire department could keep it contained to the barn. Looked like the side of the house may have been at risk.

Makes me remember how quickly it can all be gone.

So sorry to hear this - must have been HORRIBLE. Fire is what we all FEAR !!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

How awful! Hugs to all involved and jingles for an empty barn.

Oh no that is horrible, I hope all the animals are okay, please update us.

The barn fire that killed my horse was first spotted by the neighbour across the street. I have often imagined the horror of those who were actually witness....

Four years later, it still sends shocks through me to type about losing my horse that way. It's everything that I could not imagine happening in my wildest dreams.

My sincere prayer is that no animals were lost. Within eighteen months of each other, I experienced two barn fires. The first killed my horse and the horses of all of my fellow boarders in that barn. The second destroyed all of the material possessions of the barn where I began to volunteer after the first fire (all tack/ barn gone, property scorched and ruined, no animals injured). The latter is devastating, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. But the other....
    <><

Default Another barn burned today!

Another barn close to our house burned this morning - about 2 miles from my house on my road. We had looked at that farm to purchase it before we bought ours. Creepy.

Left the "guard" dog (big, mean looking dog who may lick you to death) loose at the farm today and the horses out. Waiting to hear if they are related...

was everyone ok at both? hoping they were all safe and yours are safe too! seems like an awful coincidence though huh?

15 years ago my barn burned down, it was all gone in 20 minutes. Thank goodness I had just come home and got my horses out. 20 years of my life was lost . We were really lucky that our insurance was very up to date and that our house was saved. The outside of the house caught fire but the fire fighters got it put out. We had mild smoke damage. My cat was up in the loft and came down with the roof. We found her 2 days later really burned but we saved her. She lived another 10 years after that.

I can still smell the after smell sometims when it rains where my barn once stood. While I died a thousand deaths that night and I was sure I couldnt go on, I did. I will always, always be grateful I got the old kids out who were up because, I simply could not have stood by and watched them burn to death. I realized later how I had completely lost all train of rational thought. I would have died with them. For a long time I missed my things, 35 years gone in minutes. Today, nope, I am just darn grateful. Everything comes back slowly but surely and if not, I didnt need it.

The horses, that horror, no, that you dont get over. Praying there were no living souls in either barn.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Fire is my biggest fear - I lost a dog in a house fire many years ago. Things can be replaced. But the memory of my beloved lab dying in the fire haunts me still.

Praying there were no living creatures in the barn.

[quote=tmo0hul;4301818]Another barn close to our house burned this morning - about 2 miles from my house on my road. We had looked at that farm to purchase it before we bought ours. Creepy. [quote]

That sure sounds like arson to me.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

[QUOTE=Guin;4303827][quote=tmo0hul;4301818]Another barn close to our house burned this morning - about 2 miles from my house on my road. We had looked at that farm to purchase it before we bought ours. Creepy.

That sure sounds like arson to me.
    Yeah.... two barns so close to eachother, in just a couple of days? Sounds suspicious to me. I hope they find out whether they are connected or not soon.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Quote Originally Posted by tmo0hul View Post
    Another barn close to our house burned this morning - about 2 miles from my house on my road. We had looked at that farm to purchase it before we bought ours. Creepy.

Left the "guard" dog (big, mean looking dog who may lick you to death) loose at the farm today and the horses out. Waiting to hear if they are related...
    That's terrible! Have you heard if the barns were empty?? I sure hope so.

To the OP, what area are you in? 2 barn fires that close together is a scary thought, and maybe you should post the general area so that others can keep a watcful eye out if they are in the area!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/