The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default friendly reminder to all that put a horse in a trailer

this is a friendly reminder to be careful when you are hauling a trailer. This happened to an experienced trailer hauler during a wind storm when a 85mph wind gust hit him broadside. We were very lucky. I was going home from meeting my farrier and was only about 5 minutes behind him when it happened. I volunteered to take his horses home as I was lucky enough to have 2 empty slopt in my trailer. The vet met us on our arrival at the owners home. They are very lucky, the palomino had scrapes and bruised from his nose to his tail. The bay had fewer scrapes but a very bruised stifle and a small splint on his hind leg. he also had a pulled muscle on his shoulder. I think that these horses were blessed by the horse gods that day.http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/loca...rticleID=93348

Wow. They were very fortunate.
    Out of curiosity, what brand was the trailer?
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

God, what a nightmare. That trailer wasn't much smaller than mine is but I'll wager mine is heavier as it's all steel. I'm so glad the horses were OK and presumably the driver also. You were the kind Samaritan than that took the horses home? Bless you for your willingness to help.

Can't see the video, but wanted to say how glad I am that everyone is okay!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Yikes! The horses coming out of the trailer was hard to watch, especially the palomino. Amazing they weren't hurt worse. Glad they'll be ok, and that you & others were able to help out. How scary.

I don't even like to drive my car in strong winds, since I got spun off the interstate once in a crosswind. Luckily in my area, winds that strong don't usually pop up out of nowhere. I'd be more than happy to pull over and wait it out if I ran into a storm. This video just reminds me that that's a good idea.

I am glad everyone is ok but not sure exactly what I am supposed to be reminded of. To avoid 85mph wind gusts? I imagine this person would have preferred to avoid them as well but obviously that isn't always possible. I try to concentrate on the things I do have control over and hope the stuff I don't have control over like the wind cooperates.

Maybe there was advance notice of a storm and the driver went thru it anyway? That would make sense. If it came out of nowhere there wouldn't be much of a way to avoid it.

Seems like a simple, 'Be aware and be careful' thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    Yikes! The horses coming out of the trailer was hard to watch, especially the palomino. Amazing they weren't hurt worse. Glad they'll be ok, and that you & others were able to help out. How scary.
    me too .. I thought the palomino was going to get his leg caught in the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayRide View Post
    me too .. I thought the palomino was going to get his leg caught in the grill.
    Or just break one.... yikes, trailer sides have lousey traction. Gulp.
    People sure get some funny ideas.....

Oy, how scary.

Bless you OP for coming to their aid. Amazed the horses would load into another trailer.

Me wonders, tho: would a steel gooseneck have done that?
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Oy, how scary.

Me wonders, tho: would a steel gooseneck have done that?
    I wondered too. My trailer is 28 feet long and 10,400 lbs empty....around 15,000 lbs loaded. That is pretty heavy.

We hauled through some awful storms with our trailer with one horse in it across South Dakota. I know the winds had to be 60-70 mph at least...strong T-storms and there was no where to get away from it...you just had to keep going. Our rig did OK but I think a lighter trailer or a smaller one might have had some trouble. Most of us Easterners have no concept of how windy it can be in the open areas of the West.

I'm surprised the horses got into the next trailer!

Wow, I bet the driver needed clean undies after that!

Thank goodness nobody, horse or human, was seriously injured.

I will not haul in high winds - if they can flip a semi, I have no doubt they can flip my aluminum trailer. And I'm super cautious when I see one of those signs that reads "Caution, cross winds may flip vehicles".

We had a nasty windstorm here from one of the hurricanes last year. We had to hook to the trailer and move it since was broadside to the wind and looked like it might get tipped over.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Or just break one.... yikes, trailer sides have lousey traction. Gulp.
    Yeah I thought he'd snap one the way he scrambled out of there. Makes me see more value in those trailers with rubber mats on the sides for kickers. Never occured to me that would come in handy if the wall suddenly became the floor.

Somebody was sure watching out for everybody there.

Quote Originally Posted by GilbertsCreeksideAcres View Post
    I'm surprised the horses got into the next trailer!
    A vet assistant I know was actually called out to an accident where a horse fell out of a trailer as it was traveling down the highway-roughly 60mph. I don't recall how the accident occurred (perhaps the floor rotted through?) but the horse was basically okay (lots and lots of cuts and such but no major injuries). They pulled up with a trailer and he walked right on. Unbelievable what some horses will do after having scary experiences.

OP- The owner of the horses was so lucky to have you right behind them!!!

OP- Think there was anyway to have that accident avoided, since you were in a big trailer on the same highway???

To others- wind in the west is not something that can be always be predicted or anticipated. In our areas, for several months at a time there can be a chance of horrible wind- anytime. The sort of wind you have to lean into to walk, then a few minutes later it's gone.

During one of these seasons, I went with a friend to a horse show in far north Wyoming. It was one of those horrible windy days. Tractor trailers were blowing over left and right (we counted 8 flipped in the ditches during our 8 hr drive). My friend hauled a huge trailer- 3 horse with full living quarters- with one of those F450/550 monsters. We didn't feel the wind. Oh, and on the way home, in early November, I stopped to buy chains for my car thinking we were going to get caught in a horrible blizzard and get stuck in Wyoming. Thankfully, we stayed about an hour ahead of the storm... But the weather can change quickly in these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    Yeah I thought he'd snap one the way he scrambled out of there. Makes me see more value in those trailers with rubber mats on the sides for kickers. Never occured to me that would come in handy if the wall suddenly became the floor.
    Makes me glad my Equispirit came equipped with side wall mats 1/2 way up! whew...
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

wow. What an incredible video to watch- good thing you were right there. Makes me want to go out and purchase a good pair of tall shipping boots instead of using wraps. Those horses were lucky- and obviously well behaved to have loaded up again after all of that!