The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trott Brook horse trial in MN at risk of shutting its doors

http://csdea.org/content.aspx?page_i...odule_id=62286

I sent in my registery, if you are close by, please do the same! It's a great event!

My very first event was a Trottbrook. I'm no longer in that area, but have fond memories. Please support this venue.

Question Canceling this HT or all future HTs?

I'm confused. I understand that Trott Brook is considering canceling the 2009 HT due to low entries (Labor Day Weekend, economy, AECs, etc.).

However, is the implication that Trott Brook is in jeopardy of canceling all future HTs?

I have never competed at Trott Brook (I'm new to the Twin Cities), but I have schooled there and I spectated at the 2008 HT. Lovely facility and if my horse were sound and fit I'd be entered!

I still miss Berryhill, Brightonwood, and Fortuna. It'd be sad to lose Trott Brook too. I hope this is only a one time issue and things go better for them next year after the AEC moves.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I think the worry is that if Trott Brook cancels this year, the farm owners may decide to pack it in.

I am sure you all know, trials take a ton of work. It's a private farm, owned by two very busy veterinarians. It's also been a very busy summer with Ralph Hill and Eric Dierks in the area doing clinics not to mention dressage clinics, schooling shows and the like.

It doesn't help that Labor Day weekend is so late - K-12 schools normally start after it and I know there was public controversy when some schools decided to start before this year.

I'd be showing there if my horse weren't still rehabbing from a ligament injury - it's a terrific venue.

Bump.

Any news about entry status?

I'm not sure, I sent an email inquiring though, and will let you know! I recruited two from my barn who weren't going to go (they trailered down to Catalpa a few weekends ago, we are a 10 minute trailer drive from Trott Brook!).

I'm really bummed I can't go this year but I just bought a horse 2 weeks ago and he has NO jumping experience at all. I really hope they don't shut their doors for good because me & my new horse will definitely be there competing next year! For sure!!

Because I can't help out by entering, I am going to volunteer. I am really excited to hopefully still be a part of it even though I can't compete!

The Trott Brook show will be held, even though we are down 1/3 of our entries.

We are still accepting entries and for those of you that have entered and not gotten a stall we have plenty of stabling left which at this point will cost the show over $2000.00 if they are not filled.

It costs a LOT OF MONEY to put on a show. I also know it costs a lot of money to enter a show...

Thanks to those that entered, helped find people enter and may still enter!
    Pat Ness

Any reports from Trott Brook?

Quote Originally Posted by lightym View Post
    I think it will keep on going
    I wouldn't hold your breath on this. At the show it was widely reported and sounded very definite that this was the last year; the sign for the Saturday evening competitors' dinner/party said the same.

There is talk (and a lot of hope) that it can be relocated to another venue, but as far as I know everything's up in the air right now. As of right now, there are no recognized HTs in Minnesota.

It was a wonderful weekend -- perfect weather, lots of very happy riders and horses, just a great event all around. I have my fingers crossed that some version of it will happen next near; I think my horse and I will finally be ready to compete!