The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone familiar with green giant arborvitae?

Still in my quest for a good pasture privacy screen/windbreak I came across the Green Giant's again. Does anyone have experience with them? Basically, are they easy to take care of and grow as fast as they say? We need a LOT and I can get them very cheaply. They'll be small of course when we plant them, but we'll be able to stagger them so they'll hopefully fill in quicker that way. I haven't heard a whole lot about them, so if anyone has any likes or dislikes, please let me know before I plant 100 of them!

Yup.

Mine took a while to get started but they're doing fine now. When you're planting them I'd try and keep them protected from wind until they get established.

If you have the opportunity or desire - you may not want to plant a monospecies hedge. They're lovely - but if they get attacked by a disease, or encounter harsh conditions - they may all die at once and you have to start all over again.

Some folks do mixed plantings of compatible species and think it mitigates risk a little.

It's kind of coin toss, I guess.

Oh - if you go to musserforests.com they have a hedge section that tells you what type of soil each edge plant likes. They have good prices but I don't know if they're as low as what you found.

Thanks for the info. We already have a row of teeny norway spruces and I was thinking about planting the green giants as a second alternating row behind them. Then the new side that's bare now I was debating on doing all green giants or the same: one row green giants and one spruces. NO idea if they're even compatible though or how to find that out.

Yes - they're compatible.

I bet that would look quite lovely. Just give them plenty of room.

You can do this two ways - I don't know which is better.

Some people plant trees very very close - too close. As the trees get larger they just thin them out so they don't compete. But the belief is that they get a head start on the hedge.

Others just plant the trees with enough space so that they don't crowd each other out once the trees are grown.

With a fast growing hedge I would guess that is not as great an issue - but so much of this is personal preference in the end it's really just up to you.

Norway spruce is lovely - I've got one growing in my front yard. I'll be long dead before it reaches full height - but how pretty it is.

Thanks! We have 6 gorgeous blue spruce's and even though I LOOOVE them, I knew they were slow growing. I went to the local ag store when we moved here and they had little foot-tall nicely branched norway spruces for $7 each. I planted them about 10' apart along the front of the property/pasture and they're adorable. Can't wait till they get bigger! I'm thinking that we'll probably plant them spaced out farther apart. I just couldn't bear to have to cut them down later after all that hard work. Maybe if we were just doing a single row... I don't know. But hopefully doing 2 staggered rows will help.

We didn't need too long of a screen so we only planted 9 Green Giants last October. We were careful to keep them very well watered at first to make sure they had as good a start as possible. It's August now and the 6 footers we planted last fall have easily grown 3 feet for the tallest shoots. True, they haven't filled in at that height yet but given how fast they're growing, I'm pretty sure that won't be too far behind. We were careful to put enough distance between them to prevent over-crowding. So far, I think they're terrific fast-growing trees. Can't wait till they grow some more!

Quote Originally Posted by Alinera2 View Post
    We were careful to put enough distance between them to prevent over-crowding.
    Do you know how far you planted them from center to center by chance?

7 feet apart center to center is my recollection. They aren't touching yet & there's still plenty of room between them even at their widest part. My hunch is that it will take another couple of years at least before they touch. I hope we got our distance between right. Seems I remember checking with a landscaper before settling on this for the right distance.