The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Here She Comes, Warming Up...

Tropical Depression #2, expected to become TS Ana tomorrow. She's off the West coast of Africa, headed this way.

East and Gulf coasts, keep your weather eye peeled.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

JUST STOP IT!!!

My youngest daughter, Amanda, turns 17 on the 20th. Two days after she was born, Andrew hit Miami. For her birthday in 2004, she wished for the power to come on (Charlie..19 days without power). Last year we got hit with TS Fay on her birthday. I have been warning her that there will be a storm this year on her birthday.

We had 4 inches of rain in 45 minutes last week and more rain after...we are waterlogged. My farm is screwed if we get a storm. The good thing is my boarder left today, the new one doesn't arrive until the 22nd, the latest rescue has been adopted and I have enough stalls for everyone without having to farm anyone out!

Noooo. The utility poles in the alley behind my house are still not fixed after Ike. There is power, but the poles lean and the lines droop. I don't think it would take much to bring them all down again. On the other hand I got the last leaning tree removed and the generator still works. I really don't want to be without power again. I drove around with a truck full of empty gas cans, continually looking for places to fill them up.

Oh gawd. Our barn isn't up and our stallions are still in temporary pens. God help us if they get loose - it'll be like Jurrassic park at the barn! Seriously though - we do have shelter for them but we'll have to work to get it hurricane proofed.

Well, I know this will come back to bite me in the ass, but this is our first hurricane season with an automatic generator. It's quite a beautiful thing; the power goes off, and in about 6 seconds you hear it start up and the power comes back on. So I say, bring it on!!! I can have a/c and cold beer. Although I suppose as soon as everyone learns we have power, the house might get very crowded.

Seriously, I hope it is a quiet year with no major disasters anywhere.

No! NO!! NO!!! No big hurricanes this year! But...maybe a few little tropical storms to break the hottest summer in history here. Over 50 days with 3 digit temps. Ugh.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    Well, I know this will come back to bite me in the ass, but this is our first hurricane season with an automatic generator. It's quite a beautiful thing; the power goes off, and in about 6 seconds you hear it start up and the power comes back on. So I say, bring it on!!! I can have a/c and cold beer. Although I suppose as soon as everyone learns we have power, the house might get very crowded.

Seriously, I hope it is a quiet year with no major disasters anywhere.
    No, what will happen is you won't get hit with any hurricanes because you spent all that money to get that system installed.

I did my homework before moving here, Ocala had not been hit with a hurricane in over 100 years. What that should have told me was that the area was way overdue for one! I moved here in 2004, and we got hit with Frances and then Jean two weeks later.

After that, my husband had generator overrides put in, so that we can run specific rooms/appliances without running 50 extension cords from the generator(it looked like an OSHA nightmare that first year). So of course we have only had to use it a few times for a few hours since then.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I am right down the road in Floral City. We have two generators, and two wells, so we can run a well and the house, or the barn and the well. Thats a no brainer. House........nope, its the barn and apt in the barn.
    We are so dry here. We have not had rain in a week, and its been in the 90's each day. All the rain came to Pony Finals when we were there!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    No, what will happen is you won't get hit with any hurricanes because you spent all that money to get that system installed.

Fine by me!

However, power goes out ALL THE TIME here in LA, and for no reason. It'll die on a bright sunshiney day, just because. So the generator has gotten quite a lot of use already.

But what I think will happen is that the first hurricane that comes thru will destroy the gasline to the generator (same as what the cooktop and dryer use) and they won't be able to repair it for weeks or months, so we'll be miserable anyway. Then we'll probably get 3 storms roll thru one after the other. Knock on wood, knock on wood! I have sooooo jinxed myself.

Default Heads up, Florida!

Well, it took her a while to make up her mind (I ain't goin' there!), but it looks like she's got Florida in the crosshairs! Sustained winds by then are expected to be around 60 Kts, with gusts to 75 Kts.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

If it skims the north coast of Haiti, Gonaives could get nailed AGAIN.... Those who pray, please do.

I had really thought this one would curve further north.

Looks like the Atlantic storm season has begun TD #3 (Bill) is right behind her.
    Last edited by ddb; Aug. 15, 2009 at 07:47 PM.

Bill is forecast to have sustained winds to 90 Kts with gusts to 110 by the time it gets to the islands.
    Last edited by Frank B; Aug. 15, 2009 at 03:44 PM.
    John Adams

Bill is on her heels.That is the one predicted to head toward the east coast. Great , just great.UGHHHH
    Speak kind words,receive kind echos

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Well, it took her a while to make up her mind (I ain't goin' there!), but it looks like she's got Florida in the crosshairs! Sustained winds by then are expected to be around 60 Kts, with gusts to 75 Kts.

Ah, look, here comes that bitch, she's getting ready to make a tree fall on my generator just because I was talking smack. She's headed right toward my house.

Get prepared now, people.

Unlike most on this thread, I'm praying for a direct hit on my unsold house in the Carolinas. Thanks to our unpleasant housing mess and a job relocation, the house has been on the market for almost a year and I've dropped the price 20%. My only hope of ever getting it off my hands is direct hurricane hit.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Thanks for the heads up, Frank! I knew I could count on you to let me know when the fertilizer is about to hit the ventilator! It's looking more and more like that house in the Carolina's might just take the hit after all, and then up the coast it comes. Forecasters are now forecasting it as a Cat. 3. I'll be heading into Target and Home Depot tomorrow to stock up on supplies.

Bill:
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...daynl#contents

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

NOAA now says Bill will be a cat 4 by day 5. And how about TS Claudette sneaking in ahead of them?

Time to make NOAA my new home page until November.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Unlike most on this thread, I'm praying for a direct hit on my unsold house in the Carolinas. Thanks to our unpleasant housing mess and a job relocation, the house has been on the market for almost a year and I've dropped the price 20%. My only hope of ever getting it off my hands is direct hurricane hit.

Please don't wish that on us, just because your house hasn't sold. Hugo wasn't even a direct hit and it was bad enough, and Floyd's floods were a huge pain in the ass.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Well darn. We are headed to NC in 2 weeks. We'll be living in a 4 horse trl with LQ. Not exactly what I call "storm worthy". Maybe we should look into a studier structure someplace around Southern Pines?

In 2004 we arrived in SP just in time for a hurricane, got soaked. Then we moved the troops up to PA and got soaked again.

We are from the desert, I had no idea that it could rain 6 inches an hour and another hour and another hour.