The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default people amaze me :(

I was searching [edit] about 3 weeks ago for a project horse. As i'm a western pleasure person i about flipped when i found a Zips Chocolate Chip daughter for sale for a whole 1400. So i round up a couple of my friends who make the trip [edit] with me to look at the mare. We show up with trailer in tow thinking blood lines alone mare is worth 5,000. We get there and what we find is heart breaking, mare is 5 but if you didn't know you'd put her at 2 about 450 pounds under weight. I think the min we seen her we knew she wasn't staying there.

As i'm wrapping her legs the lady informs me that she's wild and uncontrolable at times. Its like thats fine i want a project i have time i'm sure we can work them out. Bella has put at least 75 pounds on in a week she's not wild she's a sweet heart. so they had have beat on bad, as she just shakes when you try something new. She's never had a bath she's never been clipped she's green as grass on a lunge line. Said that she had 90 days training on her a year and half ago. It will be interesting in a couple of months when we get on her.

the lady final last words to me was she might need some weight! Um some? try alot. We live in indiana we thought when we opened the doors we'd find her flat out. we didn't feel her move at all going through the tolls in chicago which wicked us out.

Just a vent i'll have to take pictures of her today
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: identifying info

Good for you getting her out of there. Too many people would walk away. Hopefully she'll forget any abuse and bloom for you.

Can't wait to see your new mare. Bless you.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Double bless you!

Kudos for getting her out of there! And I'm looking forward to the before and after pics.

Quote Originally Posted by zippandrich View Post
    so they had have beat on bad, as she just shakes when you try something new.
    Her shaking doesn't mean she's been beaten. Young, untrained horses are extremely nervous when confronted with something new.

I really, really, REALLY wish people would stop saying they 'know' a horse has been beaten when it acts as if it's frightened, or is head shy.

Unless you actually saw her being abused, you're skating a very thin line that could lead to libel. I hope your seller doesn't read COTH.

Otherwise, if the rest of the story is true, good for you for taking this mare.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Her shaking doesn't mean she's been beaten. Young, untrained horses are extremely nervous when confronted with something new.

I really, really, REALLY wish people would stop saying they 'know' a horse has been beaten when it acts as if it's frightened, or is head shy.

Unless you actually saw her being abused, you're skating a very thin line that could lead to libel. I hope your seller doesn't read COTH.

Otherwise, if the rest of the story is true, good for you for taking this mare.
    I watched as the lady picked up a whip and slapped her for not cantering. The mare doesn't have any muscles to canter So please i wouldn't say my mare wasn't beaten if i didn't have a gut feeling that was the case.

And the reading the coth thing? Highly doubt it

Your 'gut feeling' doesn't make it so. All that means is you think it MIGHT have occurred, based on one incident where the mare got smacked with a whip.

But you'll go ahead and tell everyone who will listen that she was beaten, won't you? Even though you don't really know for sure.

The only things you do know for sure are that she wasn't being fed properly, she supposedly had 90 days of training sometime in the past, and she's wild as the March wind.

I'm not being sympathetic to her previous owners, because not feeding their horses properly makes them asshats of the highest order in my book. But you have no proof that this mare was beaten on a regular basis, and you need to be very careful about saying something like that.

You don't know who does and doesn't have internet access, and the horse world is a very small place. It gets even smaller when rumors are bandied about.

Stick to the things you know about the mare, and don't propose something as fact when the truth is that you really don't know.

I do wish you luck with this mare, and I'm sure she's glad to finally be getting some decent food and proper care.

How lucky was the mare to find you! I wouldn't have left her either. Even if she only had three legs I wouldn't have left her.

arabhorse, what's your deal? Accusations of abuse cutting a little too close to home or something? Or are you the seller?

If you're that worried about libel, OP, just take out the identifying info (states, and horse's name).

Naw Cita, I've never sold a horse. Gave one away once, but she was well fed and up to date on everything.

Don't abuse mine either, unless you consider not giving them treats 'just because' is abuse. My horses would say that not giving them constant treats constitutes abuse though, so don't ask them!

I just get a little tired of people saying they 'know' a horse was abused/beaten because it shakes or is nervous when asked to do something new, goes somewhere unfamiliar, or is head shy. None of those things mean the animal was beaten or abused. Could they have been? Absolutely. Does it mean they were? Not at all.

I was given a horse about 3 years ago. Mack was extremely head shy when I got him, but I sure didn't think his previous owner abused him. If anything, he was a tad overweight, terribly spoiled, and mouthy from being hand fed treats. He's no longer head shy, is a decent weight, is still terribly spoiled, but no longer mouthy.

I'm just weary of people proclaiming things as facts, when they're merely supposition. I suppose it makes them feel better to think they 'rescued' the horse from its horrible, abusive owners.

In this case, the mare was definitely upgraded, and she'll have a better chance at a good life once she's fed up and trained properly.
    Last edited by arabhorse2; Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:56 AM.

One of my favorite bloodlines--so glad you got her.

Looking forward to pictures . . .
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Wow, arabhorse2, can't we just be happy that she got the horse and is giving it a good home? If what she expresses is libel, it doesn't pertain to you so why are your knickers in a twist?

Didn't I say, more than once, that I'm glad the mare was upgraded?

Geez, you noobs really need to learn to read for comprehension.

I'm jaded with the number of people who say, "My horse does this, so MUST have been abused prior to me getting him."

I've heard it so much that I just don't believe it anymore.

Not ALL horses who are afraid or act like dingbats when confronted with a new situation have been abused. I'd also hazard a guess that the majority of people saying it don't have a clue to their horse's history.

I have one who acts like a right fool when anything new is introduced to his pea-sized brain. I can unequivocally state that he was never abused as a foal by his breeder, his first owner who was a teenage girl, my trainer, nor by me. It's just who he is. I don't call him Crazy Horse for nothing!

So none of you care that what she's saying could get her into hot water legally? That it doesn't matter whether or not it's true, as long as it's a good story?

I can't wait to see the pictures! She sounds like a cutie!

Good on you for upgrading her! I hope she is everything you want her to be and more.
    ~The Hardest Thing About Riding is the Ground~

Thumbs up

Lucky you to find a daughter of Zips Chocolate Chip for such a cheap price. If those are her videos that the previous poster posted, I bet she will be a great project. Nice level head set....

Good luck!

You know, it is not always what people say on these boards, it is HOW they say it, that comes across wrong. Nobody expects total agreement on a BB, but tone counts, unless, that is, you want people to think of you as a grumpy old what-not.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post

So none of you care that what she's saying could get her into hot water legally? That it doesn't matter whether or not it's true, as long as it's a good story?
    No not really, and neither should you UNLESS it pertains to you.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Perhaps I'm missing something but it seems like it would be awfully hard to prove libel just by posting a bloodline and where you found the horse. Further, wouldn't you have to prove that the claims are untrue?

The OP did not name names, unless the post has been edited.
    ---
    They're small hearts.