The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bedding....

What does everyone bed with?

Sawdust/Shavings
    Pelleted stuff?
    Straw?

Anyone bed with sand?

I am using shavings on my neat clean horses and pelleted wood bedding on my not so neat clean horses. The pelleted bedding really works well on the horse that are ummm wetter than the others.

Fresh shavings from a local sawmill. Cheap, easy to acquire, etc.

I would never ever bed on sand. It will REAK of ammonia from the urine.

Case in point: New boarders move in (we are at a self-care farm). New boarder decides to bring in a pick-up truck load's worth of sand for his horse's stall. I politely and gingerly suggest that it might not be a good idea. He does it anyway.

Four days later it reaked and he was there, shovel in hand, removing it all. Humbly he said "Uh, you were right. This was a mistake." I grabbed my shovel and helped him finish
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

We have sand in our "dirt lot" and never had much issues with it.... Then again it's out in the open...

I bed with shavings, although they're pretty much out all the time this time of year so don't use that many shavings now. In the winter it's about 50% of the time in, so that's when I go through a lot of shavings.

Pellet stuff and shavings from a woodworking shop.

I prefer the pellets for the most part, but every 6 weeks or so my feed store gets enormous bags of shavings from the wood shop down the road. The bags are about 5 feet long and I can only wrap my arms halfway around them. They sell for $7.50 a bag, and I can fill an entire stall with one bag. So when those bags show up, I feel compelled to buy a few. They make for a cushier stall, but they don't last as long as the pellets.

A mix of peatmoss and topsoil.
    Cheryl in WNY
    Horse Kids Kit & Bobby

barley straw for me
    sometimes use shavings in summer months as on a dirt floor
    but mostly barley straw or spring barley straw as its not as pourous as wheat
    and if the horse did eat it doesnt matter as spring barley or barley can be mixed and used with hay as an alternative

Sawdust from the pallet factory near by.

I add straw to the top of my geldings stall because he likes to pee quite a bit and it gives him a dry spot to nap even right after peeing.

I suppose if you have really good drainage the sand could work. It sure would be easier to pick manure from.
    It seems like it would cause a long term manure management issue though. What will you do with it when you periodically strip and rebed your stalls?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Pine shavings with pellets for the wet spots in Winter.
    My guys are out 24/7/365 with free acess to the stalls, but in nice weather they are out more than in so the stalls stay pretty clean.

I go through about four 7cu/ft bags of shavings a month on the average - less in summer, more in Winter.
    40# of pellets lasts a month for the 2 stalls.

Vern - my Old Guy - comes in to use a stall as his personal Mens Room. Cash - the TWH - goes outside <he's my Good Boy

Vern always uses the NE corner of whichever stall he's in to pee.
    Took me a while to figure out why - it's so he can look out the stall and nothing can sneak up on him while he's "busy"
    Oh well, at least I only have to put pellets in that corner...
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    My guys are out 24/7/365 with free acess to the stalls, but in nice weather they are out more than in so the stalls stay pretty clean.
    Could you please have your horses talk to my horses on this subject. Mine are out just like yours, with stall access. The darn filly will come in from the way back corner of the pasture to urinate in her freaking stall.

Paco and Katie are out 24/7 but Dumplin' is stalled at night. He is a POWER PEE'ER! I swear he pees more than big horses do. He loves to drink his water and play in it. Anyway...

I have a layer of sweetpdz, a thin layer of pellets and then about 6 inches of shavings. He loves to sleep in his stall so I keep it nice and comfy He only goes in a few spots in his stall so I keep the pellets there to catch the bulk of the urine and the pdz works well for the remnants.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

In the fall and winter when my horses are in at night I bed with chopped straw. I LOVE it!! The difference between chopped and regular straw is like the difference between sawdust and shavings!! I get it delivered in a large square format. 1 bale usually lasts me a month with 5 stalls to bed. Each bale is $30 delivered!! I cannot go wrong with that!! ...Another added bonus is it breaks down very fast and the farmers love to take the manure from me!!

Regular old straw. Easy to get, easy to get rid of, easy to handle.

My barn uses straw.
    Jen Evans & DaBear