The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thorowgood T6 Saddle??? Where to find?

I've been frustratingly trying to find a new All Purpose saddle...one that is not TOOO expensive and fits 2 big horses (Shire and FAT Irish Draught) and myself, long thigh (34in)...seemed as thought the Thorowgood T6 All purpose might fit...since it seems fairly adjustable and reasonable...I think under $1000.00....Didn't want to go so, Wintec, cheap...tried to and HATED it.
    But really need the flexibility since hopefully they both will lose some weight and what I purchase now may not fit once they are more fit.
    However I just found out that Dover is their only US dealer and Dover isn't carrying the T6... and apparently ordering from Thorowgood direct can take forever....I didn't know if anyone knew anything that could help me out???
    THanks in advance for any suggestions. (Should never have sold my Karl Neidersuss dressage saddle!!!! it was old, but fit everything!)

I'm surprised to hear that ordering direct takes so long. When I called about ordering a saddle, they said it would be shipped within a week plus it was cheaper than buying it from the tack store - even including the delivery fee.

There's been a couple TGs on eBay lately. Two were T6 DRESSAGE saddles though. One AP went for $40. That's four zero. One zero.

I got my T6 Show jumpper shipped down from Greenhawk in Canada. Shipping to NY was very reasonable.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Beware--the XXW Broadback isn't as wide as the ads would lead you to believe. Nowhere near fitting my wide guys. Which is too bad, because I really like the balance and position that Thorowgoods put you in.

Have you looked at Duett? Their resale is excellent. I bought one on Ebay to try, found out it didn't agree with my hip, and resold for about a hundred more than I bought it for. Granted, the market is down somewhat, but I keep an eye on them, and most go for very good prices, just a little off new.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

The only reason I was looking at the Thorowgood over the Duett was the advertised adjustablity of the saddle. I've heard a lot of people that loved their Duett, but were selling b/c it no longer fit there horse...I don't want to have to go through this again anytime soon!
    I heard from Dover that it was 12 weeks from Thorowgood to get a saddle...I sent Thorowgood an email directly today in hopes of finding a saddle before a show i'm trying to take both boys to in Sept!!!!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

The Duett trees can be altered slightly... a size either way or so.

But I do see the dilemma.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I have an HDR synthetic all purpose. It was under $400 and has a flex tree. It fits our full draft just fine and also fit the warmblood mare.

I LUUURVE my T6.........I bought it online after months of searching "Thorowgood T6 Craigslist" and scouring eBay, HorseGroomingSupplies Forums, and Bits and Barter.

I also tried the Wintec, and it didn't fit my guy, plus I just didn't like the saddle itself.

Good luck in your search!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I just bought a (well, two actually; long story) Thorowgood T6 - rode in it today (two of them actually, on two horses). I quite liked it. Compared to the Wintec I used to have it felt much more "there" - substantial and solid (which I like in a saddle). Didn't wiggle or move around, and though I would love to be able to afford a fine leather saddle, the syntheticness of this one was not as noticeable as on the Wintec. ETA: very comfy deepish seat, which I like, too.

Anyway, for cheap, I'd give it 2 thumbs up. I was having no luck finding a used saddle to fit either horse.

I bought through a saddle fitter/dealer who came out in her truck and we tried and sat in a bunch of stuff, she did detailed measurements etc. and in the end I decided on the Thorowgoods.