The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How many people have show tack and everyday tack??

What the title says.
    explain why or why not

I have a show bridle and martingale. And, of course, extra polos and boots and such that live in my show trunk so I don't have to remember to pack them all the time.

Many people have a separate bridle for showing, but I can't think of anyone who has a separate saddle. A good saddle gets BETTER when it's broken in, and no one wants to show in something too new.

I know that some pony club/4 H types have whole different sets of things, because there are classes that are judged on how clean your stuff is, and it's easy to keep things clean if you don't use them, but I'd say that is NOT the norm for H/J.

I guess I don't know about western. Do those saddles "break in?" I think western riders may have "show saddles..." But not us H/J folk.

ETA: I guess I read "tack" as meaning just saddle + bridle. If we're considering ALL equipment as "tack," I also have extra paddock boots, 1/2 chaps, and a show helmet that stay in my show trunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I do, but I did not initially. I have collected it over the years. Since I am not a jewelry fan my husband gets me one big item or several small ones every year for the holidays. I have a separate tack trunk, bridle, shipping halter, lead, helmet, girth, boots (horse), paddock boots and half chaps for schooling, crop and other little items. After every show I clean everything thoroughly and put it in my trunk then the trunk goes back into the trailer. When we leave for the show, all I have to remember is my saddle and horse.

I was actually wondering about this today. As for me, my schooling tack is the same as my show tack because I'm poor. hahaha. Everything just gets a good scrubbing, and it's ready to go. I only use my tall boots for showing, but I don't know if that really counts as tack or not...

I have double of everything (except saddle), one for shows and one for everyday use.
    Everything is clean and ready to go and since I don't use my show stuff everyday, it looks like new.

Well, when I showed Western I had, like, 1500 in the bridle and reins and another 350 or so in a "semi custom navajo" blanket. NO WAY I was going to school in that midsummer or leave that bridle hanging around any tack room. And I quickly got sick of having it in the car and hauling it back and forth to the barn and the house. So, for 50 bucks or so, I got something that was not so pretty but worked just as good. Something that would not walk off as well, or get "borrowed".

When I switched to hunt seat, I did the same, got the pricey Jimmy plus an under 100 HDR to leave hanging in the tackroom. Works the same, there all the time.

You DO need to work in that show bridle enough to be really comfortable with it but, otherwise, cheap is just as good as long as it does not get all stretched out.

Only thing I never duplicated on the cheap were my saddles.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Snaffle bridle and martingale - different
    Pelham - use same for shows and at home, but only use it 1x/week at home and clean it after
    Saddle -same for both
    Saddle pad - different
    Horse boots - have a leather show set, but ended up using the T-boots when I did an eq class at the last show
    The Evil Chem Prof

I use the same tack at home and at shows, but I keep a couple pads clean and white for show use only. Leather I can clean, but once white gets dirty...

I'm a dressage rider and used to divide my tack, including sheets/blankets between schooling and showing. Now that I'm older . . . who wants to clean all that stuff! I use my Passier bridle everyday, ditto on the saddle. I do have 2 special saddle pads I use only at shows.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

For horse I'm currently showing:

One schooling bridle: figure eight with a fugly brass clincher browband
    One show bridle: Figure 8 for jumpers (was set for everyday use but I can't find the right bit. (If someone can tell me where to find a KING dee slow twist in 5 1/4", I'll be your best friend. Racing dees need not apply)
    One show Bridle: Regular cavesson for Medals.

Saddle is the same for both.

A few show girths: I use the synthetic fleece girths and keep a couple for shows on so they stay white, white, white

Pads: I do use is wool wither relief pad for everyday but always with a square pad under. When I show eq, it is by itself (and I use it as a test to see how well I bathed him. )

Other horse has a show halter (and a shipping halter) and similar 'show and schooling' items as above.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I have a separate bridle and pad for shows, but that's it. Everything else gets cleaned up to go!
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

I have a separate show bridle and breastplate, and of course show pads.

Growing up, a friend of mine had an english show saddle... never could figure that one out.

Lots of western peeps have western show saddles - all that silver!

I have separate schooling bridles for both my horses, but they share a show bridle (since I don't show them at the same shows or at the same time). I also have separate breastplate/martingales and girths. Saddle is the same for all. Show pad separate as well. Polos for schooling, boots for show if allowed.

I mainly just have a second set of nicer, clean pads and boots for my horses at the shows. Leather, for the most part ages well if its taken care of and as long as it is free of any obvious repairs/damage, and cleaned then it doesn't matter to me. My exception is tall boots. I wear tall boots every time I ride and I don't always clean them properly. Therefore, I invested in nice show tall boots so that i can scuff up my old ones on a daily basis. A lot of people use different bits at shows or have special horse boots or martingales that they don't usually use at home. In that case I think it is common to have a second show bridle.

I have basically a complete set of show tack with the exception of my saddle and my tall boots (which I ride in every day.) This is an accumulation of many years though.

I have show bridles (snaffle and figure-8), show girths (fluffy leather for hunters, belly-guard for jumpers), show pads, show halters (leather and fluffy types.) All this stuff lives in my closet clean, oiled, and ready to go.

Then I have schooling bridles (snaffle and flash), schooling girths (fluffy and leather), schooling pads, daily halters (break-away and nylon), etc. I don't use martingales on my horses these days, but I own a standing and a running of mid-grade quality that are essentially schooling tack but decent enough to show with.

Well, being a tackaholic, I have multiple bridles. However, I currently school and show (well the trainer does) in the same one (Dover Wellington, plain padded raised). I will occasionally bring out a different one to use for a while.

Some people collect antiques; I collect really nice english bridles. However, Imelda Marcos I am not. One pair of sneakers, one pair of boots, and one or two nice pair of dressier shoes.

I use the same saddle and girth for shows (you're not getting me to ride in anything but my nice, broken in saddle). Everything else has a show version.

I do ride in my show bridle, martingale, and saddle pad at least once before a show. I learned the hard way the bridles stretch, usually on the day you don't remember to bring a hole punch to the show. And I don't like surprises.

I have double everything except the saddle. Well.. I guess I do have 2 saddles as of yesterday!

Every animal that we show have everyday and show bridle, bits,martingale, breastplate, girth, saddle pads, bell boots, splint boots etc. The show items for the most part stay in the trailer and are cleaned after each use whereas the everyday items are cleaned weekly.

I have a show bridle and a schooling bridle just because my show bridle is an Edgewood and I don't want to ruin it by using it everyday.