The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ok You Sheep People / Knitters.... Top This!

Bride marries in gown of wool from own flock of sheep

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz0NYDKG7mE

And the bride wore white - long, curly white strands of wool.

Louise Fairburn, who is an award-winning sheep breeder, decided to get married in a fleece from her own flock.

She designed the gown and took wool from her favourite rare Lincoln Longwool, Olivia.

And she extended the theme to the rest of her big day, putting her groom Ian, 42, in a waistcoat made from wool.

Mrs Fairburn even carried a Bo Peep-style crook and the ring bearer's cushion was made from a fleece.

Guests were given chocolate sheep-shaped favours and even dined on lamb dishes by celebrity chef Rachel Green.

But it was the dress that was the highlight of the wedding in Market Rasen, Lincolnshire, near their farm in Risby.

'It always occurred to me what a waste it was to turn this beautiful long wool into carpets,' the 38-year-old bride said.

'But I saw an advert with dresses made out of carpets and it twigged that I could have a dress made of wool.

'I suppose I am sheep-crackers, but the idea just came to me and I designed the dress myself with a little bit of help.'

The dress, which cost £1,500, took a spinner and dressmaker 67 hours to make. But it was worth it, as her husband said he was 'blown away' when she walked down the aisle.

'I took one look at her, my lip curled like a young sheep's does and I started blubbering,' he said.

Mrs Fairburn added: 'I wanted this dress to look like any other wedding dress and for people not to realise it was wool until they got close and that's what we achieved.

'I just wanted to prove that you could do something fantastic out of the yarn and ended up with something that was beyond my wildest dream.

'I want to prove to people that wool is not just something for knitting bobble hats from, and that our native breeds can have just as big a presence today as in the past.'

It was love at first sight for the couple, who met when Mrs Fairburn was looking for someone to install a farm track at her home. After searching in the Yellow Pages, she came across Mr Fairburn's firm.

He said: 'I opened the Land Rover door when I arrived and said that's the girl I'm going to marry.'

Now the couple are successful sheep breeders, and won top honours at last year's Lincolnshire show.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

very pretty!

a horsehair gown would not look as good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I think "sheep-crackers" is a pretty good description of those people.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I'm saving my 'horse hair' -

Hey, that's the *coolest* thing-in the sense of wonderful. In the sense of cooling to the body-it was probably hot as a firecracker and you couldn't have worn it in Alabama to a wedding even in February. I am btw interested in raising sheep in Alabama-any ideas?

I'm wondering what kind of lining and how many layers of it did she need to avoid the Itch factor. -shudder-
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    I'm wondering what kind of lining and how many layers of it did she need to avoid the Itch factor. -shudder-
    That was my first, and actually just about only, thought viewing the article. Just looking at the dress made me itchy.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Hey, I don't find wool itchy at all (I know I'm weird, mosquitos don't like me and I'm not allergic to poison ivy either) but I bet it was just some sateen liner-here that's what we line our wool hunting jackets with-though I always swear I'm going to get a linen one-it can be *hot*!
    Although the top of the dress was lovely and probably took a good bit of skill to weave I just love the bottom with those lovely long strands of wool. I want one! I would wear it to a cocktail party (short, not full length) in a heartbeat! Anyone know if we can communicate with this most artistic and original farmer? I'm sure there's a weaving blog somewhere?
    HuntinFool

My sister breeds Leicester Longwools. The wool is similar to what this woman used -- long staple, very soft. Very little itch factor.

Hmmm... I got engaged last week. I spin. I knit. I have a steady supply of wool.... Are you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Go for it! I bet it would be lovely!!!

I wonder how much it weighs? Beautiful dress, but I'd think it would be heavy.

I showed my sister (the Leicester Longwool breeder) the article and she said "Have you been searching Tractor Supply for wedding ideas?"
    Kendra

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

My best friend is friends with a guy who knitted his wife's wedding dress for her. Apparently, it was quite beautiful.

The dress isn't actually too bad. Although it sort of reminds me of something that the White Witch would wear in the movie "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe".

Now, his waistcoat on the other hand...
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    The dress isn't actually too bad. Although it sort of reminds me of something that the White Witch would wear in the movie "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe".

Now, his waistcoat on the other hand...
    that's quite a horror of a waist coat. And, I have to say, I thought of the same witch dress. I do not find it attractive, and can't help thinking that there are some men who might feel they had the best of both worlds - their youth spent on the farm where the 'wimmin' had four legs, and the one they finally got. I can just see him on a romantic night "Come on, honey, wear the dress for me. Can you say "baaaa"?" He, heh, he.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Default I love the dress

but I would have it even prettier at the top but the guy and that color of pink.............no no no.

The husband's outfit would have been much better were it not so ill-fitting.

I like it... very ewenique

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    and can't help thinking that there are some men who might feel they had the best of both worlds - their youth spent on the farm where the 'wimmin' had four legs, and the one they finally got. I can just see him on a romantic night "Come on, honey, wear the dress for me. Can you say "baaaa"?" He, heh, he.
    oh yuck, am I the only person that got creeped out reading this quote?:

'I took one look at her, my lip curled like a young sheep's does and I started blubbering,' he said.

he had a Flehmen response to seeing his bride to be? yuck!

the dress is cool. I WANT those sheep... they're gorgeous!

Yes, very creepy....

Just FYI, I was totally joking about making that dress. There are some decent knitted wedding dress patterns on ravelry.com, but I just don't like the overall impression they make.

I do think I'll be making this stole to wear with my dress:
    http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Kale...-arbor-stole-2
    I will likely make my own dress, but out of "normal" dress material.

FWIW, I can't imagine spinning with horsehair -- way too much itch factor!
    Kendra